Help with incomplete Heinzmann

mobetta

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2015
I'm new to ebikes and have been trying to get some help with a Heinzmann motor I picked up at a garage sale. The motor came with a rim and a Currie throttle, no controller or battery. I need to figure out what model Heinzmann I have so I can find a controller and battery for it. A wiring diagram and exploded view diagram of the motor would be helpful. It has two 18 gauge wires (red and blue) and two much finer wires (both black) coming out of the motor. Plate number: 870-00-114-05, serial number: F823346. Can anyone ID this motor so I know what sort of controller and battery to get for it?

Is this motor circuit hackable to the extent that I can get a lower cost Chinese controller and fit a generic battery pack to it?

Here's the rest of the plate specs. Can someone tell me what they mean? I got the watts and amps part but the rest is hard to figure.

h: 154/min
P: 400W
U: 24V

Betreisbsart S 2
18 min
RL 26/19
Mmax: 35Nm
Imax: 30A
In: 22A

Thanks,
Mo

C

Cyclezee

Hi Mo,

Welcome to the forum.

I have quite a bit of experience with 36v Heinzmann Classic brushed hub motors but the 24v systems are a bit before my time and I don't recognise the motor plate number.

All 36v Heinzmann Classic brushed motors start with 879-00, but I don't recognise the others which were probably only used on the 24v models.

Heinzmann Classic parts are not cheap, the motors are noisy, but they are bullet proof and built like a Panzer.

Here is a link to the Heinzmann download area http://www.ebike.heinzmann.com/en/resources/download-area

Sorry if this is not very helpful.

mobetta

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2015
Hi Mo,

>>Welcome to the forum.

Thanks

>>I have quite a bit of experience with 36v Heinzmann Classic brushed hub motors but the 24v systems are a bit before my time and I don't recognise the motor plate number.

So it's a brushed hub motor then? Is it easy to work on? Can I take the cover plate off? I got a lady on the phone at the US Heinzmann distributor and she said she'd do some research on determining the model and provide some specs, but she discouraged me from taking it apart, said it was manufacturer only serviceable. I know my way around tools and am not sure this is the case. I'd like to at least inspect the wiring and see if there is any water damage inside. The unit looks like it may have been exposed to weather for a time.

>>All 36v Heinzmann Classic brushed motors start with 879-00, but I don't recognise the others which were probably only used on the 24v models.

When did Heinzmann first start making hub motors?

>>Heinzmann Classic parts are not cheap, the motors are noisy, but they are bullet proof and built like a Panzer.

I've heard that Heinzmann's are robust. I got this for $100, it sold for $700 new a few years ago. Noise is no problem. But I need to get a factory controller or find an aftermarket one that will work. Do you know of any workarounds adapting other controllers.?

>>Here is a link to the Heinzmann download area http://www.ebike.heinzmann.com/en/resources/download-area

That was the first place I went and I dowloaded all their relevant PDF files. But what I need to know is what the small wires are for. There are 4 wires coming out of the motor, two 18gauge wires- red and blue and two very small black wires, which I assume are sensor wires of some sort. The big wires are for power, but which is hot and which is ground?

David Searcy

Just Joined
Dec 4, 2016
Y84404
I'm new to ebikes and have been trying to get some help with a Heinzmann motor I picked up at a garage sale. The motor came with a rim and a Currie throttle, no controller or battery. I need to figure out what model Heinzmann I have so I can find a controller and battery for it. A wiring diagram and exploded view diagram of the motor would be helpful. It has two 18 gauge wires (red and blue) and two much finer wires (both black) coming out of the motor. Plate number: 870-00-114-05, serial number: F823346. Can anyone ID this motor so I know what sort of controller and battery to get for it?

Is this motor circuit hackable to the extent that I can get a lower cost Chinese controller and fit a generic battery pack to it?

Here's the rest of the plate specs. Can someone tell me what they mean? I got the watts and amps part but the rest is hard to figure.

Betreisbsart S 2
18 min
RL 26/19

Thanks,
Mo
I to am new to the evoke world

Betreisbsart S 2
18 min
RL 26/19

Thanks,
Mo

Betreisbsart S 2
18 min
RL 26/19

Thanks,

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ask Ben at Kinetics Glasgow, he has huge experience of selling and servicing the older Heinzmann motors, including 24 volt ones.

He's a one man business and always very busy, so best email rather than ring, asking him nicely to help.

CONTACT US

mail@kinetics.bike

0141 942 2552

David Searcy

Just Joined
Dec 4, 2016
Y84404
[QUOTE="David Searcy, post: 343623, member: 19186" I too am new to the e-bike world and have recently picked up the exact same Heinzmann hub motor, but mine came with the bike in tact. It's red, has storage compartment for lead acid's AND has the controller, batt.pack charger, everything but the throttle. After reading an article on building a lightweight battery pack from salvaged 18650's out of laptop's, power tools ect. I made a 36v ( 60 used 18650's in parallel, series) and simply added an on/off switch. I wired the red from the motor to positive on battery pack, negative to the black wire which was simply screwed to the frame. I then got on the bike, peddled like hell and flipped the switch. The results were quite satisfying to this new comer. I can go 22 mph and have yet to test the range. I been on several rides of 3-5miles which ran my battery pack down from 39.8 volts to 38 or so. Have not ran it below 38 volts as of yet. Eventually I will go for a true test ride and see what kind of range I get, see if my battery pack gets hot and blow's up and what have you. But for now I'll just cruise to the local store and/or pub and enjoy this home made version of mine as is. (Under $75 total investment). I would be willing to sell my controller and all other accompanying parts to you very cheap. I wish I had the opportunity to put it back together proper myself and I would love to help a fellow enthusiast see his/her vision through to the end. Seriously. Signed, David King Searcy,