Help with my Oxydrive kit please

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Hi All

I have fitted a rear wheel drive Oxydrive kit to my wifes mountain bike with 26inch wheels, I followed the instructions from the Oxydrive website and all seemed to be fine when I first tried the bike everything was ok but I only did about 1 mile on 1st test as it was 11pm LOL

The thing is she has been using it and it all seemed ok BUT occasionally she will get a horrible grating / grinding noise from the rear hub and I really can't work out or understand why it is doing it.

It can't be normal as it sounds terrible and I have asked her not to use it until I get to the bottom of it, Can anyone advise me what this may be and have I done anything wrong or could it be a faulty motor???

I have emailed Andrew from Oxydrive but I must say he is very slow in coming back to me on any email I have sent so was hoping someone on here may have the answer

Thanks LB

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I very much doubt there is any thing wrong with the hub ( they are pretty much bullet proof), more then likely an installation issue. Turn the bike upside down and turn the wheel forward to see where the rubbing/grinding is coming from, make sure the axles are sitting in the dropouts correctly and tightend up. A few close up pics of the drop out / axles would be a start. Make sure the rear cassette isn't grinding against the dropout, sometimes the small top gear will be very tight if a spacer/washer isn't used also if a disc brake is fitted check the caliper alignement so it is rub free.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

I would say that you haven't pushed the two halves of the nine-pin motor connector together far enough. Make sure it goes all the way to the line.

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Thanks for the replies and I will go and check these things

When I say a grinding noise its NOT like anything rubbing against each other it feels like something internal in the rear hub is making the noise it does it now and again its a strange sensation and I cant get it ti do it at any particular time like accelerating or slowing down I would say its more when slowing down though but not consistent

Its probably more like a very loud clicking noise and definatley coming from the drive motor

I will report back in a bit when I have had another look

Thanks again

D

Deleted member 4366

You get that when the controller loses sync with the motor, normally because of a bad connection on a hall wire. If it's really bad, like your gears jamming or clutch slipping with a knocking noise, it's a faulty connection on a motor phase wire rather than a hall wire. There's other possible electrical causes, but they're unlikely on a new build.

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Many thanks for your advise again

I have just been out on the bike again and when it does this horrible noise I loose all power from the motor and instead of making the humming noise from the rear hub I get this grating sound until I stop peddling then once I start again its ok for a while

I do indeed loose communication with the led control unit and the power bar goes down to zero power even when I pedal or press the throttle

I have checked all the connections and unplugged them and re plugged them in again but its still doing it I cant push them in any further there all home so to speak

I cant replicate this when the bike is on a stand it just wont do it it only does it when I am riding it so when its under load

Just been out again and it does it when you use the throttle only as well so not a pedal sensor issue either if its a wiring issue like stated and all the wires are plugged in could it be a faulty part some how its only done 5 miles and has done this from day 1

I am a bit lost to be honest

Ok been in the garage for 15 mins now disconnected the brake lever so I could apply load to the rear wheel and tried and tried to replicate the noise with the brake partially on but it just wont do it no matter how much load I put it under with the brake applied, BUT as soon as I ride it it does it so I am now thinking could it be vibration and something loose inside the rear drive hub????

Cheers LB

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Always start with the easy and common causes. The cause of your problem is between the controller and the motor. The controller is losing sync for whatever reason.

Check again the connector. There's a line on one side. when you push the two parts together, the edge of the other side has to go all the way to the line. It either lines up or it doesn't. Pushing together as hard as you sometimes is not enough.

Next, check that you didn't pull your cable-ties too tight, which can damage the wire inside the insulation.

If neither of those, it could be an intermittent short on the 5v line, so disconnect the brakes and pedal sensor to see if it's OK with just the throttle. If it still does it, try just the pedal sensor.

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Thanks again for your help

Ok I have done the following

1 Disconnect both brake levers and it still does it

2 disconnect the throttle and it still does it while peddling

3 disconnect the pedal sensor and it still does it using the throttle

4 cable ties are not over tight just enough to hold the wires off any moving parts

5 The connectors are all plugged in fully I am past the line between the arrows and it will not go any further, you say pushing together is sometimes not enough but what else can I do to make a better contact

Many Thanks

LB

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Ok made another discovery just been out and done 1 mile on the bike and I can confirm it does not do it in PAS levels 1-4 at all not once but it did do it a couple of times in PAS level 5 and it does it loads in PAS level 6

So what can this mean it does me all connections are good I think so ????? but why would it not do it in level 1-4 but all the time in level 6 am I using the system incorrectly do you have to operate it like a car and pull off in level 1 and work you way through the assist levels ????

Thanks

LB

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Have you turned the bike upside down and tried moving in wheel side to side to see if there's any movement or if you can hear the clicking noise? My rear hub motor was making a strange kind of clicking noise, I was thinking the bearings or the cogs inside the hub were bust (only done about 100 odd mile) but when I was stripping the hub down to have a look 5 of the 6 screws that hold the cover plate on were loose, after taking it apart and not finding anything obvious wrong I put it all back together and it's fine now.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Ok made another discovery just been out and done 1 mile on the bike and I can confirm it does not do it in PAS levels 1-4 at all not once but it did do it a couple of times in PAS level 5 and it does it loads in PAS level 6

So what can this mean it does me all connections are good I think so ????? but why would it not do it in level 1-4 but all the time in level 6 am I using the system incorrectly do you have to operate it like a car and pull off in level 1 and work you way through the assist levels ????

Thanks

LB
Sounds like its related to current. Higher level assist will obviously draw more current.

Sounds more and more like a bad connection, although that could be within the hub.

D

Deleted member 4366

It does it in levels 5 and 6 because there's a lot more current flowing than at the lower levels.

OK, you've checked the obvious things, now remove the battery and have a look at the contacts. One side is pins and the other holes. Look at the holes to see if they're damaged. If not that, then you need a new controller module that you'll have to get from Andrew (Oxydrive). Tell him that I said you need one.

Reactions: Alan Quay

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Hi d8veh

Many thanks for all your help much appreciated, I have checked the battery and pins and all is fine there.

I have emailed Andrew explaining the issues I am having so will let you know what he says I told him you think the controller is faulty

Thanks

LB

lanerboy

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2016
midlands
Hi d8veh

Spoken to Andrew today and he says it sounds like I need a new control unit which is built into the battery holder he is going to send me an email later telling me what to do next

Thanks again for all your help