Help! HELP with QR ON EBIKE

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Hi I have a rear vertical dropout with a Rim that a Quick Release but the dropout has been worm is there anyway I can put a thru axle instead as the quick release one seems to not tighten and therefore when I pick the bike up the rear wheel falls I'm currently down for anything (except Quick release) I really want something sturdy but what is possible with my situation for example what is my options for this problem

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Would a "Ratcheting QR" be easier to tighten sufficiently? I've never used one, but they look likely to tighten more.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Best to keep all the posts on this to a single thread; opening a second one makes it confusing.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Could you put up pics of the frame droputs, and axle sitting in them without the qr?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Would this work with with a racheting quick release ?
Like I said, I've never used them myself but they look like they might be able to tighten more than your existing QR axle - they look to me like straight replacements. Check compatibility with the seller? They might not actually solve your problem either. It'd be useful for those more in the know, if you uploaded photos as @matthewslack suggested, and keep it all on one thread as @sjpt suggested.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Done please let me know if I can convert in to a thru axel or anything really I just need to make sure that rear wheel is sturdy and will never come off I don't mind if I have to use the bolt on way.

Attachments

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The axle seems to sit well enough in the frame, both sides, all surfaces are a bit worn but I have seen worse. If it is possible to improve flatness on the contact surfaces that would help.

The derailleur hanger does not line up perfectly with the axle, so there is limited room for the nut to sit on that side.

I would be tempted to try a thick washer, big enough to cover plenty of frame surface on the drive side, and make sure you get plenty of compression in the QR action.

Is the QR itself in good order, I have had one in the past that wasn't applying as much squeeze as it should.

Go carefully until you are satisfied it is secure.

I have no idea how you would convert to bolt through on a QR frame.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and sjpt

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Sometimes QRs can't be tightened enough, because they need a drop of mineral oil - that sorted out my handlebar and seatpost QR clamps (very old, 2006). Perfect since. Before that, the seatpost kept dropping in the rain while I was riding lol.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Drops outs look pretty worn to me, also brake side is missing a tension spring on the qr axle. The second pic the drop out face looks well mullered.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If that was my bike, I'd:

1. Try oiling the clasp mechanism on the QR, to see if that increases tightening. Like I said, I've found this worked on a couple of my old QR clasps.

2. Add washers as suggested in post #10 (possibly anti-rotation washers, because they're thick and strong) to the outer surfaces of the dropouts.

3. If 1. and 2. didn't work, I'd consider trying a ratcheting QR axle, after checking compatibility with the seller.

4. If none of the above worked and if it wasn't too expensive, buy a replacement secondhand frame.

Point 4. is perhaps a bit drastic!

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The axle seems to sit well enough in the frame, both sides, all surfaces are a bit worn but I have seen worse.
That looks bloody horrible. You've seen worse? :eek:

The second pic the drop out face looks well mullered.
Properly munched for sure. "Mullered" says it much better.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Best to keep all the posts on this to a single thread; opening a second one makes it confusing.
There will be new threads - there's another one...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This post might be of interest:

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
If that was my bike, I'd:

1. Try oiling the clasp mechanism on the QR, to see if that increases tightening. Like I said, I've found this worked on a couple of my old QR clasps.

2. Add washers as suggested in post #10 (possibly anti-rotation washers, because they're thick and strong) to the outer surfaces of the dropouts.

3. If 1. and 2. didn't work, I'd consider trying a ratcheting QR axle, after checking compatibility with the seller.

4. If none of the above worked and if it wasn't too expensive, buy a replacement secondhand frame.

Point 4. is perhaps a bit drastic!
Do you know what size Ratcheting QR axle will fit

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Do you know what size Ratcheting QR axle will fit
I'd find a seller and ask. And if it didn't fit after the seller had said it was compatible, I'd get a refund.