Wisper Help with Wisper 906XC motor

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
I’m a relative newbie on here so forgive any lack of protocol. I have a Riese and Muller Tinker nuvinci as my main bike which is great but expensive! I recently bought the above Wisper from a Pedelecs member for use at a cottage on Exmoor. Lovely bike and v low mileage etc and the bigger battery. However I am finding the front motor v noisy under load esp when accelerating from off I. It’s fine once pedalling at higher speeds. . Before I take it to a dealer for a look I wondered first whether this was normal and second what I might do about it. In every other way it ticks all the boxes for me Thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Front motors always sound loud compared with rear ones for some reason. I can't comment on whether your noise is OK without hearing it. I doubt that a dealer can do anything about it other than replace the motor, so you might as well carry on with it. very few dealers would contemplate disassembling a motor to check or grease it, especially as you often need special tools, like yours does.

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
Front motors always sound loud compared with rear ones for some reason. I can't comment on whether your noise is OK without hearing it. I doubt that a dealer can do anything about it other than replace the motor, so you might as well carry on with it. very few dealers would contemplate disassembling a motor to check or grease it, especially as you often need special tools, like yours does.
Thanks for this. My wife’s front nano Brompton motor is almost silent so the Dafu front hub motor is a bit of a shock after that. When I’m cruising along the buzz is fine but accelerating produces such an anguished screech that it def turns heads.esp when hill climbing. I was expecting the Dafu to be noisy but not THAT noisy. I guess I ‘ll just have to live with it. Out of curiosity though does anyone know the rough cost of a replacement motor for this Wisper 906 XC assuming Wisper or anybody else can still supply them given they are old technology now.? Adrian

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Adrian, please give us a call, it could be either the planetary gears or a loose connection. Either way we would be happy to assist you.

All the best, David

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
All motors work more or less the same. You can replace a Dapu motor with a Bafang one, or better still a Q100H, which is lighter and quieter, or any motor you can find on Aliexpress or wherever.