Hi All

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
Just 1 LED from my avatar.
Just joined, been lurking for a month or so trying to understand exactly what I'm looking for. Guess what, I still don't know!

I decided that I wanted a pedelec after two days commuting into central London, after a quick calculation of costs I decided I NEEDED a pedelec! By my calculation even the Kalkoff at £2k+, I first considered, would be paid for after just a year.

My commute is only about 9 miles each way but means I need to negotiate both Kingston and Roehampton hills I'm possibly fit enough to make it on a standard cycle but don't much fancy being the sweaty mess I will be following my journey, I don't fancy breaking out any of the motor bikes I own, too much faffing about for such a short distance, and in central Westminster the car is a non-starter.

I'm quite lucky in that I appear to have two well mentioned retailers almost on my doorstep, 50 Cycles in Sheen and The Electric Bike Co (?) in Hampton Wick. Now I just need to make the time to get to visit and draw some conclusions.

Anyway, hello and thanks for having me!

Cheers

Ian

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
Hi All

Well I've sort of narrowed it down, looking specifically at a Machina fun 9 or a Kalkhoff Pro Connect 10, hopefully I'll get a chance to give them both a test ride this bank holiday weekend, I will report back my findings.

In the interim has anyone got any alternative suggestions for similar types of bike? I'd really appreciate any contributions as it's something of a large market out there!

Cheers

Ian

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
welcome to the forum.
where are you going to park your bike in London?
a new £2k bike won't last long in a public place.
Thieves won't necessarily nick the whole bike. They took tapash's LCD in central London recently, replacement for that is £100.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
cwah commutes for years in central London. His solution is to fit an 8-Fun crank drive kit to a good but a little battered bike and keep the battery in a frame bag. They nicked his lock but left his bike intact, just to show that they can.

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
Ah thieves with a misplaced sense of humour eh? Bastids! I think the ug car park I'll be using is two floors down with a single guarded entrance, pinning my hope on that being fairly secure, I also ride motor bikes so am well aware of the thief horror stories. Will have a Google for the 8 fun crank drive, thank you again trex.

Cheers
Ian

Reactions: trex