Hi, Chris from Dorset here.

Chris42h

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 15, 2019
Hi,

First of all, I'd like to say I am pleased to be part of this community. I have found a wealth of information here in the last couple of days which has re-energised my interest in my electric bike.

I have a Volt Pulse which I bought in 2012! Loved it the first year, rode it to work quite often but as the weather turned bad it ended up not getting used so much. Muddy gritty cycle lanes that left me and the bike filthy are not my thing. So I retired it for the winter.

It was a similar story in 2013, 2014 & 2015, fair-weather riding to work. However, in early 2016 we moved and the bike went into the back of the garage. I was then ill over 2016 and the bike never got used.

For 3 long years, my poor bike has sat at the back of my garage until this last week. I thought it was about time I rescued it and see how badly it had deteriorated over the intervening years. I should point out I did keep checking the battery every 6 months or so and sticking it on a charge. Not the best way to keep a LiPo battery I know but better than it going flat.

Much to my surprise, my bike was in pretty good condition. There are some cosmetic issues but after a bit of cleaning and good oiling, it seemed to be ok. My biggest worry was the battery, I wasn't expecting much from it. I thought after so long it would be next to useless. So I tried a little mile or so ride, just to get everything moving and the oil worked in. Afterwards, I checked the bike over again, with no major issues found. Also, the battery had seemed to perform well, considering the neglect it had endured.

Buoyed up by the short trial run I thought tonight I'd try riding about halfway to my work and back, about 8 miles. No muddly lanes this time and much-improved cycle lanes and crossings. However, it is up and down several hills and I wasn't sure if the battery would last. Long story short, I actually rode all the way to work and back, about 15 miles, with maximum assistance selected so max drain from the battery. To my total surprise, the battery performed outstandingly well. When I got home I was down only 1 bar on the display. Admittedly the last quarter of a mile is a steepish hill and the voltage sagged during the climb, dropping down to just 1 bar, but as soon as I was on the level again it recovered. It's charging in the garage now, God only knows how long that will take but I am definitely getting back on my bike to commute. The bike and battery performed outstandingly and came thought it without a hitch, I'm just not so sure I did so well.... Ooo my bum! :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For a total charge time divide the battery ah by the amp charge rate of the charger to get an approx. charging time in hours.

The fact that you have charged the battery and not totally neglected it looks to have worked in your favour for now and may well be good for a few years. Try not discharging it on by maxing it out all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris42h

Chris42h

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 15, 2019
The fact that you have charged the battery and not totally neglected it looks to have worked in your favour for now and may well be good for a few years. Try not discharging it on by maxing it out all the time.
That was definitely a one off to see if or for how long it could supply a decent current. The fact it did the whole 15 miles and had over 50% charge left fills me with confidence, but only time and use will tell. I believe it is a 2amp charger and took around 5 hours so roughly 9 to 10 Ah used. Not bad considering the battery is now 6.5 years old.

Last edited: