Help! Hi ! E-Bike advice required please.....

Texy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2022
Hi,
I'm thinking about purchasing a hybrid e-bike, so popped into my lbs to see what they had in my price range ~£1500.
At the time, a couple of weeks ago, they didn't have anything, but were due to get a new model recently released - a Bleubird Summit Hardtail :
Bleubird Summit E-bike

The problem is that I can't find hardly anything about this model, and whilst I want to support my lbs, and would prefer to buy locally, rather than just get it mail order, I really don't know what to do. Anyway I just got the call from the shop and it's in, so I'll be going to see it sometime this week.
Anyone have any experience of this e-bike ?
TIA,
Texy

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Never heard of the make - sounds French?
Bafang hub motor is fairly bullet proof. It doesn't state the make of the controller, merely stating that it is 250w. This implies a 7A controller which seems a bit weedy to me. Depends on the controller maximum rating, which isn't stated. If you can find the make/model number of the controller someone will know it's worth.
Built in battery gives nice styling, however could cause problems when it's up for replacement. Will the manufacturer be supporting parts supply into the future? Stated 540Wh should give a good 40-50 miles, for an average cyclist, on full charge.
Bike itself looks nice, seem to be OK parts.
Need to give it a good test ride especially on a stiff climb to see if the controller is up to the job. The motor will be but can only do what the controller gives it.

Texy

May 17, 2022
Hi Ben,
thanks for the detailed reply - when you say 'controller', are you referring to the BMS in the battery ?
They do have a dedicated helpdesk, so I can ask the question. They are based in Northern Ireland.
Texy

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
BMS is a "battery management system" & a Controller is part of the "e" in ebike which connects all your parts together motor LCD etc

Texy

May 17, 2022
Hi,
so online chat could tell me the following :
controller make Lishui but couldn't confirm the model no. but the rated voltage is 36V, the maximum current is 15A and the rated current is 7A and they have a low voltage protection of 31V.

Is that kinda what is expected in this price range ?

Texy

Texy

May 17, 2022
He also confirmed the motor is 45 NM, 250W, 540WH, H400B Bafang....

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Luishi are generally an oem brand controller only, the specs are pretty std for a 250w hub motor pedelec. Though rated 250w ,7a x 36v = 252w the controller can temporary output twice that power for a short time if a burst of power is needed. One has to be a bit careful how that extra power is used as either the controller can get so hot it will thermally cut out as the temp exceeds the mosfet temp rating or the phase motor wires exiting the controller will melt as in this pic.

The 45nm bafang hub is more potent then a 60nm mid drive bike as the hub's power is deleivered differently. The 45nm is already at the wheel where it needs to be the 60nm of the mid drive isn't, it is at the cranks so efficiency is lost at the wheel.

Some 10 -12 years ago or so this was proven in Bristol with the hill climbing events, rear hub motor bikes out won against the mid drive competition.

Last edited:

Texy

May 17, 2022
So although the bike/manufacturer is new on the scene, at least the electronic parts used in it are proven.
Lets see how I feel when I take it out for a spin, unfortunately I have zero experience with ebikes, so nothing to compare it to at present.
Thanks for your help,
Texy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
On flat terrain extra power should cause no issue, it is inclines at slow speeds where things get very warm to very hot and any issue will arise. If one can keep bike speed on inclines in double figures one should also be fine.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Is that kinda what is expected in this price range ?
Seem a tad generic for that price bracket. Whisper and woosh are worth a look with a presence on this forum to boot.

Reactions: Benjahmin