Hi. First ebike conversion.

sprite1275

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 11, 2019
I have an old Carrera zelos which I've owned for a looong time. It has served me well but it's just sat in the shed now needing a good service. Mini hope brakes are shot, rock shock silver need servicing, gears aren't working great.

So I want to bring her back to life and try to service everything myself and when it's sorted I want to turn it into an ebike. I've done a little searching around and have ordered a TSDZ2 36v 250W. Should be here next week sometime.

Any hints and tips on fitting would be much appreciated.

Also need to add a battery so any advice on this would be great. Would it be easy to use power tool batteries? Or any other ideas, what ever is cheapest really.

Thanks folks.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
There's loads of info on here regarding builds

sprite1275

Dec 11, 2019
Hi welcome
There's loads of info on here regarding builds
Cheers I'll have to have a scurry around. I saw someone powering there's with RC model batteries which would be good so you could carry spares. I'm looking for decent mileage around 50 or so.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Lipo packs tbh aren't worth the trouble now as lion celled batteries are priced quite well now with a good bit of choice available, no faffing with extra balance charging unless you really wish to only go to 4 or 4.1v max.
Lipo was an ideal solution when lion choice was limited or for those wanting a high power set up. For ebike use and longevity you really do need to cease DOD at above 3.6v where as with lion the BMS comfortably will take you to 3.2/3.3v per cell without voltage taking a dive which happens with lipo, once lipo have been used a few times the dive from 3.6v downwards to 3.3v or lower happens quite rapidly.

Last edited:

sprite1275

Dec 11, 2019
Lipo packs tbh aren't worth the trouble now as lion celled batteries are priced quite well now with a good bit of choice available, no faffing with extra balance charging unless you really wish to only go to 4 or 4.1v max.
Lipo was an ideal solution when lion choice was limited or for those wanting a high power set up. For ebike use and longevity you really do need to cease DOD at above 3.6v where as with lion the BMS comfortably will take you to 3.2/3.3v per cell without voltage taking a dive which happens with lipo, once lipo have been used a few times the dive from 3.6v downwards to 3.3v or lower happens quite rapidly.
Brilliant cheers. I'll steer clear of them then. I need to have a good measure of some of these frame batteries then as my frame is quite small I think. How much milage should I expect from a 36v 13ah battery on flat roads?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Range varies a huge amount with riding conditions, speed, and most importantly the level of assist you choose. Try things out on Bosch range assistant, pretty much valid whether or not it is a Bosch. You'll need to go somewhere between the 400 and 500 Bosch battery.

You'll see >100 miles under ideal conditions, riding slow with minimal (eco) assist with a 400 battery; change to sport, increase the speed and make a few other changes and it'll quickly drop to 30 miles. You should get about 15% more with your 468aH battery.

sprite1275

Dec 11, 2019
Range varies a huge amount with riding conditions, speed, and most importantly the level of assist you choose. Try things out on Bosch range assistant, pretty much valid whether or not it is a Bosch. You'll need to go somewhere between the 400 and 500 Bosch battery.

You'll see >100 miles under ideal conditions, riding slow with minimal (eco) assist with a 400 battery; change to sport, increase the speed and make a few other changes and it'll quickly drop to 30 miles. You should get about 15% more with your 468aH battery.
Thanks. 30 on sport sounds great. I'm always someone that conserves energy so that all sounds good. Can I ask on the TSDZ2 what happens if your peddling past the top speed of the unit. Does it still keep powering the unit it does it cut the power?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The tdz will cut out the assist at the speed that you set on the display , the unit has very good range on the lower settings 30-40 miles[depends on terrain etc much less if you use turbo all the time20'-25]
The battery is a 13ah on a 250watt 36v in my profile pic both from psw power the case has been adapted to fit the frame triangle so it can still be removed
P.S. my 48 v version tsdz2 has better battery life /range 40-60 miles+

sprite1275

Dec 11, 2019
The tdz will cut out the assist at the speed that you set on the display , the unit has very good range on the lower settings 30-40 miles[depends on terrain etc much less if you use turbo all the time20'-25]
The battery is a 13ah on a 250watt 36v in my profile pic both from psw power the case has been adapted to fit the frame triangle so it can still be removed
Bummer. I heard about a 48v TSDZ2 but didn't see any. Mine was also from PSW power and I'll probably get the battery from them as well. 30 to 40 ain't bad though. A ride to family members is a 35 mile round trip and commute to work is a 12 mile round trip. Does the 48v version have more power?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You have to see Woosh for the 48v 250w one.

Backpeddle

Aug 8, 2019
I have often wondered about the claims of greater mileage from a 48v motor, is this down to the 48v motor resulting in lower current (Voltage higher) and hence lower losses. Or is this based on say a 13ah 48v battery having 30% more capacity than a 13ah 36v battery (30% more cells). if based on the battery capacity thing then it is of less advantage than often posted (not all).

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The 48v appears to be more efficient in day to day use ,the motor needs a lower level of assist, turbo mode is not used as often and the max load required appears less to get to the cut off speed
Overall the battery life is longer not just the extra watts of the battery also the motor note[noise] is different

sprite1275

Dec 11, 2019
The 48v appears to be more efficient in day to day use ,the motor needs a lower level of assist, turbo mode is not used as often and the max load required appears less to get to the cut off speed
Overall the battery life is longer not just the extra watts of the battery also the motor note[noise] is different
So what is the 36v like? Should I be looking to sell it before I've even opened it? No point in spending more money on a 36v battery of it ain't that great.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
After a bit of thought the 36v is ok for 95% of the time but takes the battery bit of a hammering for the other 5% if you have not used the 48v you would never know the difference
Its not under powered and you should be happy with it if used up to the uk limit 15.5mph it out performs most others in the price range and feels more like a normal bike

But woosh chose his own spec 48v uk spec with a higher torque for a reason they do lots of homework

Personal choice is with the 48v psw version you can buy a lower spec battery ,as it does not seem as current hungry
Range is certainly better than a 48v bafang motor but less amps are required on the tsdz2 but the top speed is a lot lower too

D

Deleted member 25121

I have often wondered about the claims of greater mileage from a 48v motor, is this down to the 48v motor resulting in lower current (Voltage higher) and hence lower losses. Or is this based on say a 13ah 48v battery having 30% more capacity than a 13ah 36v battery (30% more cells). if based on the battery capacity thing then it is of less advantage than often posted (not all).
It's based on the fact that say a 13ah 48v battery has 30% more capacity than a 13ah 36v battery. With 30% more cells there's 30% more energy stored in the battery.

Backpeddle

Aug 8, 2019
It's based on the fact that say a 13ah 48v battery has 30% more capacity than a 13ah 36v battery. With 30% more cells there's 30% more energy stored in the battery.
So the main advantage is perceived rather than real,its just a bigger battery. So there may be some benefit from lower temperatures hence lower losses but not 30%. There may be more torque but doesn't that mean more power consumption if you take advantage of that torque which in itself might shorten the range?

sprite1275

Dec 11, 2019
After a bit of thought the 36v is ok for 95% of the time but takes the battery bit of a hammering for the other 5% if you have not used the 48v you would never know the difference
Its not under powered and you should be happy with it if used up to the uk limit 15.5mph it out performs most others in the price range and feels more like a normal bike

But woosh chose his own spec 48v uk spec with a higher torque for a reason they do lots of homework

Personal choice is with the 48v psw version you can buy a lower spec battery ,as it does not seem as current hungry
Range is certainly better than a 48v bafang motor but less amps are required on the tsdz2 but the top speed is a lot lower too
Thanks. I'll stick with it then although if I had the choice again I would go 48v. I should of researched that little bit more but eBay had the 10% code so I pulled the trigger.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I have both 36 and 48 versions I can say for sure the 48 has more than a 30% advantage on range in eco mode , in real world use the 48 does far more miles than a 36 which does one days ride then requires a recharge but the 48 does 2 days ride on the same route with out a charge the motor zips up to the cut out speed far quicker so the assist is for a shorter time = more range