Hi folks

Bob Lawrence

Just Joined
Mar 11, 2020
Am 76 year old who had been riding a mountain bike regularly up until a few years ago when had to give up due to an arthritic left knee, loved to go off road but nothing to ambitious. Kept my bike because I always knew there would be a very good chance that I would be able to ride it again.

Well that time has come, had a knee replacement 6 months ago and started riding my bike about 5 weeks ago, painful at first but but getting better. Soon realised I hadn’t got the strength in my left leg and very painful when returning from a short 5 mile ride, although I might add it is up a slight incline coming home.

Hence the thought of some assistance by means of an ebike conversion kit because I am quite happy with my bike, even though it’s quite a few years old.

I opted to buy a kit of eBay, it’s a Voilamart 250W-1000W rear wheel. The controller, supposed, can be switched between 250W to be road legal and 1000W when off road.

Fitting it was a bit of a challenge but got there in the end and have found it very enjoyable but have issues with the 250W road legal side and this is the crux of this post and hope I can get some advice.

Firstly I don’t know what people’s thoughts are on this conversion kit but I have it now and it works so have to try and sort something out to be road legal.

The issue is that I don’t seem to be able to get it to run at a road legal speed. Not wishing to insult anyone’s intelligence by explaining the set up of this kit but it’s as follows:-

Along with all the other wires from the controller there are two( blue in this case) which according to the advert and instructions , when connect restricts the motor to 250W and therefore 15 mph but this did not seem to be the case, the bike could still go faster. When disconnected the motor has the full 1000W power.

I might add that although the PAS works I find it’s not controllable enough, I only use the twist grip so can keep within the 15 mph required.

From further YouTube searches I found a video relating to the LCD panel and its various modes and number 8 being the one to set the maximum speed. I have tried this set to 24 km/ h but it still allows the bike to go faster than 15 mph.

Has anyone any ideas what the problem may be please?

I thought when I bought the kit it would be good to be able to get a bit more speed when off road but actually 15 mph is quite fast and to be honest I wish now I had got the 250 W motor, especially as ebike are becoming quite controversial.

If I can get the bike to run at 15 mph I think I would permanently connect the controller blue wires.

Having just joined this forum and not knowing the thoughts of others on here what are your opinions of on road/ off road.

This has been a bit long for my first post and not sure if it should be here, apologies if it’s wrong.

Thanks in anticipation

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id turn it all up and ride like this and see how fast it can go first :D

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I thought when I bought the kit it would be good to be able to get a bit more speed when off road but actually 15 mph is quite fast and to be honest I wish now I had got the 250 W motor, especially as ebike are becoming quite controversial.
have you got an LCD on your bike?
if you do, the maximum assisted speed is set in the LCD.
Just tell us which LCD it is.

FJC71

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2020
have you got an LCD on your bike?
if you do, the maximum assisted speed is set in the LCD.
Just tell us which LCD it is.
Does not the fitting of an LCD capable of adjusting the speed make the bike illegal as this could be interpreted as an off road mode which is specifically banned. I would be wary of any bike or kit for that matter that is supplied with such an LCD.

Bob Lawrence

Just Joined
Mar 11, 2020
Thanks for the replies, I’m starting to think I should have gone for the 250W motor, all I want now is to be able to permanently restrict it to 15 mph.

The kit came with a SW-900 LCD screen.

Would it be possible to disconnect the LCD screen ?

Could I change the controller to restrict the speed?, the battery is 48V 12Ah. Could I fit a 250W motor?

I accept now that I have made a mistake in buying this kit.

I would now like to know if there is anything I can do with what I have to make it road legal? I hope there is someone out there who my have the answer.

Thanks in anticipation

Bob

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Does not the fitting of an LCD capable of adjusting the speed make the bike illegal as this could be interpreted as an off road mode which is specifically banned. I would be wary of any bike or kit for that matter that is supplied with such an LCD.
yes, that's correct. The OP started already with a kit that is not road legal.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Would it be possible to disconnect the LCD screen ?
No. You need the LCD.
Press and hold both the Up and Down buttons for 3 seconds to enter setting mode (long press).
Press up or down button to scroll through the settings until you see max speed.
press M to select.
press up or down to change the setting to 25km/h
Press and hold the M (mode) button for a couple of seconds to save your setting.

Bob Lawrence

Just Joined
Mar 11, 2020
Thanks for that information Whoosh, have done as you said but now need to get out and test it, no time just now.
In the meantime I have been looking through posts regarding conversion kits and there seems to be a number of other people in a similar situation as me, I.e using bikes capable of excessive speeds and willing to use them, I don’t intend to do this. I now want to be fully road legal using as much of my present kit as possible. With this in mind I would like to ask if I bought a 250W
Restricted to 15mph, could I use my current battery? (48v 12Ah) or would I need to change this as well?
Thanks
Bob
I have noted one comment saying if your flying along and not peddling then it’s pretty obvious you will draw attention to yourself, the trick is I think is to carry on pedalling even though you don’t need to.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
With this in mind I would like to ask if I bought a 250W
Restricted to 15mph, could I use my current battery? (48v 12Ah) or would I need to change this as well?
in principle yes, you can use something like my 250W 48V DWG22C motorwheel but I don't sell it separately.

Bob Lawrence

Just Joined
Mar 11, 2020
That’s fine for yours Woosh but what about buying a complete 250W kit that’s restricted to 15mph, say one of eBay or Amazon.
Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I think Woosh is saying yes to that .. it would be 'something like' his 250W 48V DWG22C (maybe even almost identical, just not 'his').