Hi from Cornwall

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
At age 60 and with a sedentary lifestyle I need some exercise and always enjoyed cycling. Would enjoy a bike to get to work (9.5 miles) but lots of hills, therefore thinking electric as don't want to get to work knackered. Here in Cornwall only 3 suppliers; Camcorne, Truro, Bugle. Had a try out today in Bugle and impressed. Not made my mind up yet, a folding bike would be handy as we have a motorhome. Need to try a few different models first.

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
Yes, I was not impressed that it was not a bike shop but a Citroen / Vauxhall dealer with a bike franchise. Selling mainly Axcess bikes, but also Batribike. However, it did give me my first chance to try one out.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
which bike did you try and what do you think of it?

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
Tried the Axcess Mustang and the Shetland folder. To me there was not a lot of difference in performance between the bikes on show; all had 3 settings for assist plus thumb throttle if you need it. I was impressed with the level of assist when moving off, kept it in low on the flat. However, I was suprised that going uphill, if you pause with the pedals for a moment it feels as if someone has put the brakes on, therefore on a hill or any slope it seems that you have no other choice than to pedal constantly. Anyway, I did not get the impression that if I broke a brake lever they would have one in stock, so that place is on the back burner. Have yet to check out Clive Mitchell cycles in Truro, then Aldridge cycles in Camborne, after that I would have to look in England.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
We're not that far away in Devon if you want to try some different bikes. Check out our website for details.
http://www.bikehigher.co.uk

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
And another thing. Previously I had a 10 speed non electric road bike when I lived in the Midlands, great for getting around on the canals. I customised the gear ratio's and it was a pleasure. Can't say I was impressed with the gearing on the 20" folding model. It looked as though it had the same arrangement as the 26" models. Will have to try some more before I decide, but may want to customise the gears.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you are good! you see straightaway the shortcomings of these bikes.
Try a few more and I bet you'd want to build your own!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
those bikes are under-powered for hills. The thumb throttle is a pain, no match for twist grip ones. The 20" wheel folder has wrong gearing, you pedal a lot and not going very fast. Anyway, they feel heavy and clumsy in comparision to a normal bike.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Did you try the Mountain Sport with the high-torque motor?
They had one in the showroom until a while ago & you should notice a definite increase in climbing power from that bike.

The bottom line is that they are car dealers who had some spare showroom space & decided to give ebikes a punt:
All credit to them for dipping a toe into a very uncertain niche market.

Last time I was in Clive Mitchell's in Truro they had 2 Haibikes & could sell you a Raleigh from a catalogue but, hopefully, things may have improved now.

We are not well served for ebike dealerships down here, but it's catch 22 - The market is very small.

Last edited:

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
Jackhandy, agreed. High torque??? I dunno, the girl at the dealer did not seem to have great technical knowledge. As you say fair play to them for having a go.

trex, totally agree with your comments. Looking forward to going elsewhere and trying other models. I just created a poll to see how many accept what the dealer gives them, or customise.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I reckon most people, even those good DIYers, would accept 100% what the dealers sell them at least during the warranty period, then after that, some will give their purchase to a family member and buy a better model.
Very few (less than 5%?) potential pedelecers would ever consider conversion at the first go, maybe 20% will look at the possibility of a conversion when they come to consider their third bike but then, even fewer will make that step. I am one of the few who have never bought a ready built. I visited e-bike shops, got to try a couple of bikes and I thought it's not that complicated.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I find thumb throttle a bit too easy to push too far, making the bike jump, twist throttle is more natural. Maybe something to do with the spring.
Also, I don't have throttle on my bike, so may be not a good judge.
If you have front and rear shifters, where do you put the thumb throttle?
and I wonder why nobody's made a horizontal one, like one of those old bells, where you don't have to take the grip and brake handle out to fit a thumb throttle.

Last edited:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Jonah, thanks for that, but a bit of a trek, may pay a visit when my partner fancies another visit to Rosemoor as she loves her garden.
Yes we're just down the road from Rosemoor (well about 6 or 7 miles). Always something different happening there.

PastyMan

Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2014
Truro, Cornwall
Ha trex, don't talk to me about bells. Dealer said "it comes with a bell etc", what a waste of time. When I used to cycle towpaths in the Midlands I got a marine air horn powered by a small compressed air cylinder, sounded like an artic coming at you and made people take notice, intend to do the same with my next bike.

Jonah, will pay you a visit at some point if only to say Hi.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Down here in the wild southwest, building your own bike makes a bit more sense than elsewhere.

We are not well served with dealers, (although Acxess Seem to be everywhere), and we are blessed with serious hills.

The major advantages of self build as I see it are:

1. You can use a bike you already feel comfortable with.
2. You can change things around as you wish as your needs change.
3. When it goes wrong you will be able to fix it.
4. You don't have to have what's on offer. I won't mention any names, but some of the machines available down here are at best described as cosmetically challenged.
5. While it won't save you much money, you stand to get a better bike.

I must be in Trex's 5% category, as I have never bought an off the shelf bike. Infact, the first time I rode an electric bike was one that I built myself.

There's lots of help on here if you do chose to go the DIY route. Alternatively, persuade/bribe/blackmail one of the more experienced memebers to help you install a kit.