hi from durham newbie

theloafer

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 28, 2017
durham
hi all
was pointed in this direction by a friend :) looking to buy 2 e-bikes for myself and partner, did try a Bergamont e roxtar 6.0 a few months back ...local cycle shop owner let me have a test run out on his ,was well impressed.. poss going to evans this w/end to look at Haibikes though these seem a lot more money. but not a lot more range (miles) wise .... hoping you guys can shed some light for me ..lol

cheer,s larry

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If you like bosch middrive then also consider Shimano Steps, Yamaha and Brose drives. All four brands have eMTB drives. For lower powered city, trekking ebikes try new Bosch Active Cruise or Cruise Plus, they are meant to be lot quieter than current Bosch or Shimano E6000 drive.

There also hubdrive bikes, which are probably better commuters and definitely cheaper.

With midrive bikes, don't be tempted by entry level spec models spend a bit more and go for mid-higher spec versions. The better quality components pay off in long run.

Reactions: theloafer

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
hi all
was pointed in this direction by a friend :) looking to buy 2 e-bikes for myself and partner, did try a Bergamont e roxtar 6.0 a few months back ...local cycle shop owner let me have a test run out on his ,was well impressed.. poss going to evans this w/end to look at Haibikes though these seem a lot more money. but not a lot more range (miles) wise .... hoping you guys can shed some light for me ..lol

cheer,s larry
Evans has lots of ebikes on its website, but I doubt there will be many to look at in store.

About four or five, last time I was in their MetroCentre branch a few weeks ago,

The nearest shop that does have a good selection, particularly Haibike, is KB Cycles at Newburn, west of Newcastle.

They had about a dozen Haibikes - and some other makes - last time I was in.

https://www.kbcycles.com/

theloafer

Nov 28, 2017
durham
hi RobF
thanks for that poss see if the g/f fancy's a drive up there instead ;) btw that's a stunning bike you got there :cool:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
hi RobF
thanks for that poss see if the g/f fancy's a drive up there instead ;) btw that's a stunning bike you got there :cool:
Thanks.

The ebike market is developing, but it's not like the push bike market where most shops have dozens of bikes to look at.

You might be aware of the shop at Framwellgate Moor outside Durham City.

It's a combined car accessory and bike shop, which doesn't sound very promising.

But he has more ebikes than any Evans or Halfords I've ever been in, which is still not very many compared to the number of push bikes in an average bike shop.

You mentioned range.

That is heavily dependent on your input and the type of bicycle, rather than brand.

You on a mountain ebike would get less range than you on a narrower tyred hybrid ebike, irrespective of make.

Bear in mind the majority of quality ebikes use the same Bosch or Yamaha motor with a 500wh battery.

Climbing also plays a big part.

Plenty of that in County Durham, so your range will be shorter riding on your home patch than if you rode in a flat area such as the Vale of York.

theloafer

Nov 28, 2017
durham
picked this up on Friday night from https://www.kbcycles.com/ HaiBike Sduro Trekking 7.0 g/f got the 5.0 model as they could not get hold of 7.0 for her size, had a sort test run today as it was very chilly...put in a few of the climbs that she struggle's on. thinking she is impressed was a great deal of fun if I do say so myself .... thanks to all here for your advice and input

https://www.strava.com/activities/1357142997
WP_20180113_004.jpg