Hi from Mid Wales.

KevinD53

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2021
Hi I’m Kevin, my brother introduced me to the site.
My missus and I have fairly recently moved to Rhayader in Mid Wales and are both looking to get bikes that would get us around the Elan reservoir roads, specially to the caffe in the visitor centre.
We will also attempt the fairly decent paths around here but most traveling will be done on tarmac, neither of us are interested in the meany local rugged mountain trails.
I’m fairly handy, both electrically and mechanically and we are eaking out fairly meagre pensions so looking to buy second hand. So far everyone who claims to know a bit has tried to convince me to magically raise ten thou and spend it on something that claims to go up a vertical cliff face. If such a machine were to exist I would have to hire a rider to take it up that vertical face for me. Our big ask is we get something that will take us to Builth Wells, 13 miles down hill and get us back the 13 miles uphill.
Thanks for any, (helpful Ian, my bro), comments in advance.
All the best to everyone
Kevin Daly.

Reactions: gsm.terra

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Used bikes come with a caveat which mainly is the battery age, don't simply trust what a seller tells you. If a battery fails or doesn't perform well then one needs to buy a new one so the price really needs to reflect that.
Otherwise buy two new kits and retro fit to existing bikes, Woosh is the best place to start for UK kits.

Reactions: sjpt

KevinD53

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2021
Used bikes come with a caveat which mainly is the battery age, don't simply trust what a seller tells you. If a battery fails or doesn't perform well then one needs to buy a new one so the price really needs to reflect that.
Otherwise buy two new kits and retro fit to existing bikes, Woosh is the best place to start for UK kits.
Ta mate. That’s pretty much where I intend starting from.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My missus and I have fairly recently moved to Rhayader in Mid Wales and are both looking to get bikes that would get us around the Elan reservoir roads, specially to the caffe in the visitor centre.
We will also attempt the fairly decent paths around here but most traveling will be done on tarmac, neither of us are interested in the meany local rugged mountain trails.
I’m fairly handy, both electrically and mechanically and we are eaking out fairly meagre pensions so looking to buy second hand. So far everyone who claims to know a bit has tried to convince me to magically raise ten thou and spend it on something that claims to go up a vertical cliff face. If such a machine were to exist I would have to hire a rider to take it up that vertical face for me. Our big ask is we get something that will take us to Builth Wells, 13 miles down hill and get us back the 13 miles uphill.
All the best to everyone
Kevin Daly.
You don't need to spend 10 grand. If you were buying new, £1000 should be enough. If you want his and hers, the NCM Moscow and Venice are pretty good at £1100. They're very powerful for hill-climbing because they run at 48v instead of the more normal 36v. They're a good brand of well-made bikes that's been around for a long time.

Second hand electric bikes are a bit hit and miss. Some people have got some bargains that were hardly used, others have bought them and found problems.

Did you look at E-bikesdirect? They have a few bargains from time to time.

KevinD53

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2021
You don't need to spend 10 grand. If you were buying new, £1000 should be enough. If you want his and hers, the NCM Moscow and Venice are pretty good at £1100. They're very powerful for hill-climbing because they run at 48v instead of the more normal 36v. They're a good brand of well-made bikes that's been around for a long time.

Second hand electric bikes are a bit hit and miss. Some people have got some bargains that were hardly used, others have bought them and found problems.

Ta mate. I’ll look

KevinD53

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2021
One bit of advice I will give bruv, don't look to Alice's thread (Ceilco "Which conversion kit") for any help, it seems to have grown legs!
Ta Buddy. I will still keep my eye open. Sometimes mods take something’s off, edit later and then put it back.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
One particular thing is that batteries that are left for a period of time can discharge if they drop too low quickly become almost useless. Seller's may make a point of 'like new, hardly used, just been sitting in the garage'; but that is actually a minus point when it comes to the battery.

Nicholas Hammond

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2018
All the best to everyone
Kevin Daly.
what a lovely place to live you lucky people.
I live not to far away from you and visit the area frequently. Having a fairly good knowledge of the terrain you will undoubtedly encounter I would advise you do your homework carefully to ensure what you buy or build/convert has the ability to manage the climbs you will come to. I personally would favour a bottom bracket motor as you can always play with the gear ratios to ensure you can make it work. You must consider your weight and fitness in the equation and it could mean that a round trip to Builth might be marginal if you skimp on the battery.
Nick

KevinD53

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2021
Thanks Nick. I don’t think I’ll be be doing anything as extreme as you are thinking. I think the toughest thing I’m considering is a fishing tip to Teifi pools with a fly rod and a dozen flies on the farm road. I have done it in a transit connect van but the farmer gets the hump about petrol/diesel vehicles on “his” road. I’m seriously considering Neath’s recommendation. My only problem with that is there doesn’t appear to be one for sale anywhere closer than New Zealand. I haven’t forgiven them for the tackle on Brian O’Driscoll. If I could afford the postage I wouldn’t buy one from them.
as for a trip to Builth, we can freewheel nearly all the way there. Just need a bit of juice to get help us get back.

KevinD53

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2021
Oops, not Neath, I should have written the superbly named VFR 400.
anyone who calls themselves that must have superb taste and engineering appreciation.
I nearly called myself “Pre unit Triton!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We don't have member called neath either however there is an excellent chap called nealh.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

KevinD53

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2021

Well the missus’s Milano Plus (she wanted a step through chicken chaser despite having ridden an NC30 for a number of years.) arrived late today. It’s built up and sleeping in the spare bedroom. It will be test ridden tomorrow. When I inquired I was initially told there were no large frame Moscows to be had for love nor money and wouldn’t be any here in the UK for some time. However after a pestering email or two they found me a Moscow plus which I stumps up for today and am shouting at the Leon Bikes “Track Your Order” page to HURRY UP. After seeing Lizzie’s (my missus) bike I’m pretty sure of two things.
1/. Leon bikes UK is pretty much a website and no more.
2/. NCM bikes are a bit good for the money.
Point one don’t matter diddly squat. Apart from the fact there don’t appear to be any telephone contact possible. They answer emails and messenger messages PDQ and bend over backwards to help. I’m impressed.
thanks for the heads up VFR400. I’ll report back when I can tell you how well it gets a fat old bloke up the local hills.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Let us know how you get on. I don't know much about Leon Bikes, but i do know a bit about the brand, as the factory used to make Oxygen bikes before they broke off their association with that factory. I visited the factory about 5 or 6 years ago. the main reason i recommended them is becaus they're one of the few legal bikes that run at 48v, which gives all the easy riding advantages of a hub-motor, but you still get enough power for steep hills where most 36v hub-motor systems could do with a bit more power.

• Informative
Reactions: pentiumofborg

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
Just 1 LED from my avatar.
Two points!

1. He's lying VFR400, he was fat for the first 65 years of his life, give or take, these last few he isn't, he's no lightweight though!
2. Kevin, how come Liz wasn't out on it last night, you or I would have been and soon as the charging light turned off (maybe).

Ian

KevinD53

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2021
I’m a bit underwhelmed with Leon bikes.
My Moscow Plus arrived on the 25th of last month. Unfortunately it came with a completely dead battery. I’ve had three dates promised for the replacement. All come and gone and still no battery. I am now pretty sure they are avoiding answering my emails. I understand times are challenging as far as importers are concerned but sweet JC. I paid neigh on 1600 quid 16 days ago and have naff all I can ride.
My bike looks lovely but it aint going anywhere unless I nick my missus battery.