Hi from submerged Surrey

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
Hi there

Been a long time lurker here and have been following some interesting discussions. I am now making a plunge into pedelecs as my work place C2W scheme is about to start - with only a small window to join each year.

A bit of background about myself. I am 44 years young, weigh 78kg and fit and healthy with 2 young boys and a regular cyclist at home for fun with my 2 boys (age 7 & 4). Am a keen motorcyclist and ride a big Pan European to work on a 36 miles round trip from Camberley to Slough with some decent and loonng hills. I am thinking of taking up cycling to work a couple of days a weke later this year when the weather gets better (hopefully twice a week with the motorcycle in-between to recover - and to bring in the gears for the week). I have a locker and shower at work and can charge battery there if necessary.

Now the issue. My workplace is starting a C2W scheme in a couple of weeks with a 4 weeks window ending end of March. Unfortunately, they are using Cyclescheme and, given their size, will not be entertaining any other options. I had my eyes set on a Woosh Scirroco CD but unfortunately Woosh doesn't accept cyclescheme - too much commissions taken. I am now stuck with trying to find an alternative model which would still make sense.

My preference is for a cross bar MTB/hybrid type with decent range although I will be peddling most of the way using the assist only at hills and when I am knackered (say on the way home after a long day's work).

So any advice on a decent alternative to a woosh scirroco cd? Budget is about £1000 +/- another 1/200.

P.S. I was also very partial to a Mosso rear hub ebike but unfortunately they do not accept C2W either ; )

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi there,

We are just round the corner from you. Funnily enough we are opening a new store in Surrey in a month or so. So could be a good source if local support. We mainly sell crank drive ebikes that might fall above your budget. But we can look at something like a Raleigh Velo Trail that sits within your budget.

Like I said we are only down the road, we also offer the cycle scheme.. Win Win!

Regards
Martin

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Hi there,

We are just round the corner from you. Funnily enough we are opening a new store in Surrey in a month or so. So could be a good source if local support. We mainly sell crank drive ebikes that might fall above your budget. But we can look at something like a Raleigh Velo Trail that sits within your budget.

Like I said we are only down the road, we also offer the cycle scheme.. Win Win!

Regards
Martin
Sounds like you need a periscope & water wings to go with it, I bought a cheapie e-bike still working fine. luckily my dealer is just a half a mile away if needed enjoy what ever you go for, atb, Mike.;)

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
Sounds like you need a periscope & water wings to go with it, I bought a cheapie e-bike still working fine. luckily my dealer is just a half a mile away if needed enjoy what ever you go for, atb, Mike.;)
You are not wrong there!

Martin, thanks for the reply. You have some great gears there but unfortunately they are quite a bit outside my budget. A big concern is leaving such tasty kits in the bike shed which may attract some unwanted attention, no matter what security I can lavish on it.

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
The step-thru frame is really not for me. Don't mind it if just pottering around socially but for an 18 miles ride with a purpose it just doesn't fit.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Just to throw another option at you...we have just 2 Spencer Ivy "Spencers" left to sell....Panasonic crank drive, 8AH batteries, new in the box complete with 2 year Derby Cycle Werke (Kalkhoff) warranty..RRP is 1795...we just sold 1 at £1000 so don't see why we can't do that again..it's an absolute bargain at that price ! I'll even throw in some waterwings....
www.spencerivy.com

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We have a range of bikes in your price range and we are a member of the cyclescheme
http://www.electrifyingcycles.co.uk/

You are welcome to ask me any questions if any of them take your fancy.
Good luck
David

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
Just to throw another option at you...we have just 2 Spencer Ivy "Spencers" left to sell....Panasonic crank drive, 8AH batteries, new in the box complete with 2 year Derby Cycle Werke (Kalkhoff) warranty..RRP is 1795...we just sold 1 at £1000 so don't see why we can't do that again..it's an absolute bargain at that price ! I'll even throw in some waterwings....
www.spencerivy.com
Thanks for the offer.

The bike looks fine enough. What is the battery capacity that comes with this please? I noted that the bikes was on offer at £900 since Xmas so presumably this is with the mid-capacity battery? I noted that you also have the larger capacity battery (18Ah) as well - what would it take the price to with this battery?

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Thanks for the offer.

The bike looks fine enough. What is the battery capacity that comes with this please? I noted that the bikes was on offer at £900 since Xmas so presumably this is with the mid-capacity battery? I noted that you also have the larger capacity battery (18Ah) as well - what would it take the price to with this battery?

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
Sorry - didn't include my answer above ! The £900 bikes have the 8AH battery - Panasonic quote a 60KM range on them..although as you can imagine it all depends on rider weight, terrain etc. I have a 13AH battery option and that would add £100 to the cost. Please e-mail me at peter@spencerivy.com if you would like to discuss anything.