Help! Hi i need help with my bbshd

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I took it outside today and the first thing I bumped in to was the pedals I can't pedal so I had to keep using throttle anyone know why this is happening its like the pedals are really hard to push and go around

2nd problem is the chain it keeps falling off and made my frame sort of tear the paint away can I buy something to solve the problem?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Probably best to provide a few more details, and some photos as well if possible. There are various gizmos to keep the chain on the front sprocket, but you may well have some adjustment problem that's causing both the pedal stiffness and chain throw issues.

When you say you can't pedal, is that that you won't be able to pedal at all, or that the pedals are so stiff you can't manage them.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I can pedal but not fully like its stiff but when I use it my right foot only and pedal then I can pedal a bit I can only pedal 1 full circle with my right foot and with both my legs I can pedal only like from 12 to 2 o clock but when I get off the bike and use my hand the pedals it works fine so I'm very confused

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
And this is what happened to my frame when the chain keeps falling and then it gets stuck and you then have to pull it out with force so I'm wondering can I maybe put something there to stop it from falling or shall i change the chainring to a LekkieBling

Attachments

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Detail such as which conversion used, what controller/display etc.
Photo showing complete chainline from front sprocket to rear.

There are various chain guides, for example see https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chain-Guides/b?ie=UTF8&node=4466939031, but I'd try to find out what is really wrong before fitting one.

You could have the pedal sensor set up wrong, or the controller programmed for the wrong sensor. In that case the motor could fight against you rather than helping. Can you backpedal and what happens?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One needs the chain to e on a low gear at the rear / the biggest sprocket for pedalling to be easier.
Chain coming off is likely a chain line issue, if so one may not be able to select the lowest gear.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
One needs the chain to e on a low gear at the rear / the biggest sprocket for pedalling to be easier.
Chain coming off is likely a chain line issue, if so one may not be able to select the lowest gear.
I'll try again tomorrow when I go out and I'll use gear 4 out of 8 and see if it works because I was using gear 8 and gear 7 and it happened twice

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
Do you know why my pedals are stiff when pedaling forward

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
I just went out now I've used gear 1 and it's still stiff doesn't let me pedal a full circle

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This is a wild guess but: Is this the same bike in one of your other threads, where you had to file away something inside the bottom bracket, in order to install your bbs hd? If so, could it be that something of it remains, and is bending the axle when you are sitting on the bike? Maybe that could explain why you can turn the pedals when not seated in post #3? If something is indeed bending the axle in the bottom bracket, maybe some more filing is needed?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
2nd problem is the chain it keeps falling off and made my frame sort of tear the paint away can I buy something to solve the problem?
You've posted that question before, on one of your many threads, and I think you were looking into getting a Lekkie or alternative, like this one:

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
It looks to me like your main gear casing is touching the chainstay. One of your other pictures in another thread showed you had no spacers between the bottom bracket and the motor. If it is touching the chainstay and you’ve torqued it up like this you may have bent something out of alignment making it stiff.

Doesnt fully explain why it works on the throttle but the motor provides a lot more torque than your legs do. If it’s free when pedalling backwards, the clutch means the main gear is not turning then.

I would suggest loosening off the main bottom bracket nut and see if the stiffness goes. It is important not to stress the motor casing against the chainstay.

I’m taking my time over my bbshd install to ensure I don’t hit any problems like this.

mr_ed

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2022
I can pedal but not fully like its stiff but when I use it my right foot only and pedal then I can pedal a bit I can only pedal 1 full circle with my right foot and with both my legs I can pedal only like from 12 to 2 o clock but when I get off the bike and use my hand the pedals it works fine so I'm very confused
if you can turn the pedals when not sitting on the bike (in the forward direction) but cannot when sitting on it then this would confirm the motor casing is fouling somewhere it shouldn’t be on the frame and this is warping it when your weight is on the frame.

You should have a 1mm gap between the main gear housing and the rear chainstay.

Abzy

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2021
if you can turn the pedals when not sitting on the bike (in the forward direction) but cannot when sitting on it then this would confirm the motor casing is fouling somewhere it shouldn’t be on the frame and this is warping it when your weight is on the frame.

You should have a 1mm gap between the main gear housing and the rear chainstay.
Cab you show me a picture and I'm a noob so I'm not familiar with the name main gear housing where is that on the bike? Is that that gear cassette?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021