Help! Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help?

MartinRoach

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2020
I have a batribike diamond that suddenly stopped working.
the battery is 36v with 40v tested unplugged after charging.
all the leds on the handlebar controller are lit (fully charged).
there is no voltage to the throttle (should be 4.3-5volts)
if I disconnect the Handlebar controller at the main Controller then reconnect it the motor runs at high speed .
i don’t have a wiring/fault finding diagram & I’m not sure how to find the actual fault after trying for hours.
can anyone advise/help me out ?
kind regards,
Martin

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Martin, you need some spare parts to swap out.
If you can come to Southend, I can check it out for you.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Can we have some more information about how the bike suddenly working? Were you going up a hill, stopped at traffic lights, went over a big bump or what?

MartinRoach

Sep 18, 2020
Can we have some more information about how the bike suddenly working? Were you going up a hill, stopped at traffic lights, went over a big bump or what?
It fell over a few hours earlier, but worked fine afterwards.
the following day it didn’t work.
there wasn’t even any resistive feel to back-pedalling which would normally brake & recharge the battery.
hope this helps ?
kind regards
martin

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think that you might have damaged the throttle cable from the fall. Follow the cable from the throttle until you come to a connector. Disconnect it and see if your regenerative braking and torque sensor works again. If everything works except the throttle, then you know it's the throttle. You can then decide to repair or replace the throttle.

MartinRoach

Sep 18, 2020
I think that you might have damaged the throttle cable from the fall. Follow the cable from the throttle until you come to a connector. Disconnect it and see if your regenerative braking and torque sensor works again. If everything works except the throttle, then you know it's the throttle. You can then decide to repair or replace the throttle.
Many thanks, I did disconnect the throttle, tested it,but it made no difference.
Thank you very much .
Martin

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Try the other way round then. Maybe the fall damaged the torque sensor. Disconnect it and see if the bike works with the throttle. Unless it's a brushed motor, the only way the controller can give power to rotate the motor is by a signal from a sensor. The controller CPU normally checks all the signals when you switch on, and if any aren't zero, it won't give any power, but if you reset while switched on, it will. I would therefore guess that your controller is indeed getting a permanent throttle or torque sensor signal; however, you say you have 0v on the throttle. Is that between red and black? If so, there must be a short on the 5v somewhere.

Reactions: MartinRoach

MartinRoach

Sep 18, 2020
Try the other way round then. Maybe the fall damaged the torque sensor. Disconnect it and see if the bike works with the throttle. Unless it's a brushed motor, the only way the controller can give power to rotate the motor is by a signal from a sensor. The controller CPU normally checks all the signals when you switch on, and if any aren't zero, it won't give any power, but if you reset while switched on, it will. I would therefore guess that your controller is indeed getting a permanent throttle or torque sensor signal; however, you say you have 0v on the throttle. Is that between red and black? If so, there must be a short on the 5v somewhere.
Great advice, yes 0v red / black.
I’ll try your advice but will the multipin from main controller to handlebar control carry 5v on the red/black wires?
cheers
Martin

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Great advice, yes 0v red / black.
I’ll try your advice but will the multipin from main controller to handlebar control carry 5v on the red/black wires?
cheers
Martin
Yes if your control panel, brakes and throttle plug into a 4 into 1 harness, though you can't get at the 5v wire, otherwise no.

MartinRoach

Sep 18, 2020
You have been tremendously kind.
I have taken my bike to a dealer & he says it can’t be fixed
It’s a pity,as I’m disabled & can’t pedal.
The old bikes like mine are ok as throttle control is Ok on a bike before the new rules.
Shame.
Thank you ALL for your kindness & time to share your knowledge with me .
Cheers
Martin

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
You have been tremendously kind.
I have taken my bike to a dealer & he says it can’t be fixed
It’s a pity,as I’m disabled & can’t pedal.
The old bikes like mine are ok as throttle control is Ok on a bike before the new rules.
Shame.
Thank you ALL for your kindness & time to share your knowledge with me .
Cheers
Martin
All bikes can be fixed.
The dealer either hasn't the skills to repair or can't be a***d.
Sounds like he just wants to flog you a new replacement.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
As above, it can be fixed. If I had it in front of me, I would find the fault in 5 minutes. All the parts on your bike can be replaced by compatible and available parts. Where do you live?

MartinRoach

Sep 18, 2020
As above, it can be fixed. If I had it in front of me, I would find the fault in 5 minutes. All the parts on your bike can be replaced by compatible and available parts. Where do you live?
I live in St Anne’s, Lancashire.
The bike is quite old so I’m considering a replacement. Perhaps you know if a new bike can be adjusted to work without pedalling?
if so, could you recommend an easy to get-on bike ?
kind regards & thanks
martin

Last edited:

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Martin, before you write the bike off and replace it consider two factors- your wallet and the environment.

From a financial persective it's a no-brainer. You could replace every single electronic component on your bike, get the battery re-celled and still have change from 500 (ish) quid. You won't get a new bike for anywhere near that.

Then there's the environmental argument- why send it to landfill if it can be fixed...

If you're willing to let the (hugely knowledgeable) people on this forum guide you and you're willing to do a bit of tinkering yourself then you'll have it fixed in no time. With the added bonus that you'll have the knowledge for next time...

MartinRoach

Sep 18, 2020
Martin, before you write the bike off and replace it consider two factors- your wallet and the environment.

From a financial persective it's a no-brainer. You could replace every single electronic component on your bike, get the battery re-celled and still have change from 500 (ish) quid. You won't get a new bike for anywhere near that.

Then there's the environmental argument- why send it to landfill if it can be fixed...

If you're willing to let the (hugely knowledgeable) people on this forum guide you and you're willing to do a bit of tinkering yourself then you'll have it fixed in no time. With the added bonus that you'll have the knowledge for next time...
Thanks Gavin, the ‘bike shop’ said that the motor was knackered ( I couldn’t hear it rattling because I’m very deaf).
they seemed genuine & didn’t charge me for looking at it. I’ve spent hours just trying to get the motor working.
i agree with you about the environmental waste aspect but, I‘ve dismantled nearly everything so far & because it’s so old I think it’s time to buy another.
the owners at batribike don’t have parts or wiring diagrams, the shop calculated the cost of repair, the mechanical parts are very worn, I’ve had to fit umpteen spokes, the tyres & brakes need replacing, chain, sprocket and Handlebar gearchange.
its sad, but I think the bike’s done it’s work & needs retirement.
if you think a pedal assist bike could be adapted to allow turn n go throttle that would help?
kindest regards,
Martin

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Many new bikes could be adjusted to work without pedalling ; I don't think there is a strictly legal way to do so and keep it under pedelec regulations (eg no licence, insurance etc)

Step through bikes are all pretty easy to get on and off. Some have the battery mounted in front of the seat tube, that narrows the step though space and makes more difference than you might expect.

MartinRoach

Sep 18, 2020
Many new bikes could be adjusted to work without pedalling ; I don't think there is a strictly legal way to do so and keep it under pedelec regulations (eg no licence, insurance etc)

Step through bikes are all pretty easy to get on and off. Some have the battery mounted in front of the seat tube, that narrows the step though space and makes more difference than you might expect.
Thanks, my battery is 36v and slides underneath the back Rack, maybe it can be re-used on the next bike ?

Advertisers