Hi there

Azair

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2020
Hi

first post looking a conversion kit for my Specialized sport rockhopper, I have been looking at the Bafang BBS02, anyone got the same what are your reviews please,what’s it like for off-road trails?
Is there anything better ?
Please any advise really appreciated...
Thanks

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Hi

first post looking a conversion kit for my Specialized sport rockhopper, I have been looking at the Bafang BBS02, anyone got the same what are your reviews please,what’s it like for off-road trails?
Is there anything better ?
Please any advise really appreciated...
Thanks
Welcome Azair

Assuming you've got your heart set on a mid-drive then the two main camps are the Bafang BBS02/BBSHD or the Tongsheng TSDZ2.

The Bafangs use cadence sensing (the motor works as soon as you turn the pedals- no effort required) whereas the Tongsheng uses torque sensing (the motor senses how hard you pedal and multiplies the effort).

They're very different and each have their pro's and con's. If you have a search on here you'll find various debates raging about which is best!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My view on the BBS vs tongsheng is one is torque sensroed and one is cadence

They feel very different. To get max power out of the TS you néed to put max effort in. For the BBS you can "ghost pedal" by which I mean you can get max power by simply turning the pedals

For me BBS all day long (personal choice)

Azair

Just Joined
Jul 6, 2020
Hey thanks @KirstinS for sharing your view I like peddling so the TSDZ2 seems a better fit right now. Plus I like the fact that you can not have the throttle on the tsdz2.

Reactions: KirstinS

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Hey thanks @KirstinS for sharing your view I like peddling so the TSDZ2 seems a better fit right now. Plus I like the fact that you can not have the throttle on the tsdz2.
You can always order a TSDZ with throttle and just not plug it in, thus keeping the option open for the future.

Personally I find a throttle invaluable for riding in deep 4x4 ruts. You can just stand with the pedals at the 3 o'clock/ 9 o'clock positions and ride through without catching the pedals on the side of the rut.

It's also really useful for lubing the chain.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
You can always order a TSDZ with throttle and just not plug it in, thus keeping the option open for the future.

Personally I find a throttle invaluable for riding in deep 4x4 ruts. You can just stand with the pedals at the 3 o'clock/ 9 o'clock positions and ride through without catching the pedals on the side of the rut.

It's also really useful for lubing the chain.
Agreed, not had my throttle connected for 3 months and missed it off road for occasions as you mention. Also those occasions when your speed is dropping but the ground is so bumpy that pedalling would involve dropping the speed down, say just before a climb, a quick few seconds throttle blast keeps the momentum going

For the OP I have two riding styles. Either riding hard off road or riding on road commuting and trying not to sweat At All! For me the BBS covers both