Hidden wire brake sensor on Bafang BBS

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
After some good advice to steer away from rim brakes, I am probably going to compromise and settle for a bike with good mechanical disc brakes.
I'm not prepared to run a Bafang BBS02 48v 750w kit without brake cut-offs. Seeing that there doesn't appear to be a satisfactory solution for plug n' play hydraulic cut-offs, then I was wondering if anyone is running these with a Bafang BBS kit and mechanical disc brakes?

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=195

If so, are they a reliable cut-off switch solution?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the hidden wire sensor is reliable. The problem is braking power.
Think about it. The normal V-brakes stop a bike powered by 100W human + 250W motor, the mechanical disc brakes on 160mm rotor have better braking power, up to about 100W human + 350W motor, but they have single piston. The hydraulic brakes have twin pistons, can cope with 100W human + 750W motor, best if you fit the larger 180mm rotors.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Both my original MTBs had mechanical discs on and neither was up to stopping quickly enough so I put Clarks Exo Skeletal hydraulic brakes onto them and the difference was outstanding.
Only£39.99 a set as well from CRC .

D

Deleted member 4366

Those sensors work pretty well. I've used them on other motors/controllers. You just have to get the right connector. Don't forget that you only need one brake switch -on the back brake, so you can have a hydraulic on the front, which is the one that does all the braking, and a cable one on the back.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
... then I was wondering if anyone is running these with a Bafang BBS kit and mechanical disc brakes?
... If so, are they a reliable cut-off switch solution?

I use them with a Bafang BBS01. I have them effective and haven't been aware of any time when it has not worked, however I have had a couple of times when they cut off the motor all by itself: unplugging the cable to the controller and re-plugging it reset everything. It has not done it for awhile so no idea why it happened.

Oh my setup is with Avid BB7 disc brakes and sensor is on the front brake as that as that is my primary brake.

Andrew