Help! Hills South Wales - Will TSDZ2 250w get me up them?

M1watch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2019
Hi all

Again fantastic site! Bit about me I’m 48, 82kg ride a Kona Caldera 19’ Frame and eventually will need a total knee replacement. Let’s just say at present I am managing this and nerve pain in the lower tailbone (Yep I am genuinely now a pain in the rump!) Anyhoots the days of cycling steep hills pain free, especially the next day, are now over. So, I’m going e-bike.

I’ve read up on aftermarket kits and don’t think the Bafang is for me, and I’m defo more into a Torque set up. Literally all I want is an assist uphill so I’m thinking Tongsheng TSDZ2. I live in South Wales so change hill to mountains haha. I sadly intend to stay legal ie 250w. Any help on the below would be great.

1. My bottom bracket is 73mm is there anything else on my bike that I should be aware of. I don’t want a throttle so I guess I don’t need brake sensors? (pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/2n9cYT7ApeynpXsTA)
2. Will this set up make the steep hills manageable? IE feel like you're on flat or slight incline?
3. Will this go up grass hills, probably not as steep as the trail tarmac ones I will be going on (Namely the Garth mountain
5.10mins)
4. Can I go 48V with a 250W TSDZ2?
5. What is a great battery to pair with this?
6. What is it like to pedal with the motor off or out of battery?
7. Any addon’s I should consider?
8. Open source firmware looks good.
9. Do I need to avoid older models, how do I know I have the latest?

My days of slamming downhill are over and to be honest I much preferred it old skool with no suspension, foot straps, let the handlebars wobble in your hands and gun it haha you come off, step over the handle bars and run sideways bye bike byeeeee! Slow on the clock but super-fast in the head! Now I’d be happy to get up the mountains, enjoy the view and plod back down on some trails (Weekends). In the week just plod along cycle paths and ease out the hills. I still want to build muscle strength in the knee. However, like most managing a hiccup in the body gone are the days when that can be done fast. I really miss my squash I don’t want to have to give up the bike too! Any advice, tips etc I would be extremely grateful. I just want to get the best set up for my situation and to be honest whilst I could afford a £5k bike, I think they are well over priced, and the wife would kill me, my guitar hobby is bad enough in her eyes hehe!

Thanks Phil

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
We are in Mynyddygarreg, and retired . We have 2 ICE trikes, one a sprint X with a Shimano steps 6000 system with a electric 8 speed alfine IGH . The second a Sprint RS with the tongsheng tsdz2 48v system ( kit ) that came complete with battery from Woosh.
The Tongsheng tsdz2 is a better system than the steps and is working well but we are hoping to fit a second smaller ring to give us a lower set of gears if the going every gets tough . In it's standard form the unit is not as power hungry as the steps system which cannot be upgraded

regards Emma
WP_20190731_14_35_19_Pro.jpgWP_20190814_14_31_37_Pro.jpg
in pedal mode it does not seem to give any noticeable drag .

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing