Hilly commuting with an ALP

Bloodhound85

Just Joined
Mar 26, 2020
Hi folks!

I'm new nearby, so don't know if this is right section for opening a new thread. If I'm wrong please forgive me (or change thread location plz!)

Anyway, I'm Claudio, from Italy, those days the covid is hitting hard in my region, so I just wanted to pass my mind away, a bit, and talking about more joyful stuff!
Just the day before the lockdown, I tried and decided to buy a CUBE Acid Hybrid Pro (2019, second hand, it was a rent/bike), with an Active Line Plus motor and 500Watt battery, and 1200Km in total made by the bike. But, obviously, the bike is still at the shop, anyway, I couldn't use it anymore, so just dreaming a bit !

I had time those days for reading about this motor, and as many, I wanted to be sure that a CX wouldn't have been better. I had the opportunity of trying a MTB Cannondale with bosch CX for a week, and the motor really pushes a lot (my first time ever on an ebike). What pleased me of the ALP (just a short try indeed), is that it's smoother, and I feel like I can still put a lot of effort if I want to. And then it's not noisy at all, so hopefully will do the job.

The bike (when life will be back to normal) should be used for a 25Km communting, one way, with a D+ 400m way back. Mixed terrain, with I'd say 1/3 in the woods (white roads and few muddy sections, but only if I want to) and 2/3 italian countryside roads, so not always perfect!

I know this post is not a lot of questions, but still I've doubts (as usual) if it's the right choice. This was just for showing me and having maybe a few tips back!

Thanks for the community anyway, very helpful!

PS sorry for European units, if I should have used miles and feet, please report

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Welcome to the forum. I think the general opinion seems to be the ALPS motor is the better one for commuting. Hopefully it won’t be too long before you can try it properly for yourself.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As long as the battery is good then your 25km ride is approx. 1 hour on a legal 25km pedelecs if you can maintain the 25km speed all the time., otherwise it is likely to be nearer 1hr 20mins I suspect. The ALP by all accounts rides nicely without power so sound like a good choice.
Mean while Caudio stay safe and be careful CV doesn't care how old anyone is to cause them harm.

Bloodhound85

Just Joined
Mar 26, 2020
I've friends working at the hospital, and it's not fun at all (and I live in Piedmont, not close to Bergamo). I stay home, as everyone, and the woods and the roads just wait, and I dream of them! There will be time.

Coming back to the point. I've tried the commuting once with the Cannondale CX, large tyres (I think 2.6, still few problems with tyres size), but I did the distance in 50/55 minutes, actually I was surprised! But, I'd probably take few more paths in everyday commuting and pushing a bit less not to get wet at joblplace, so 1h10/20 is more reasonable. Actually, I was wondering if I'll be as fast on the climbs with ALP, but yes, these are thoughts of quarantine, hopefully I'll get the answer soon.

Thanks for answers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bloodhound85

Just Joined
Mar 26, 2020
I like the idea of relying on my legs passed 25km/h, actually I'd go for a normal bike, but 400m D+ on the way back, I'm too lazy :) just an aid from the engine is what I'm looking for, and I'd be also a bit scared of pedaling at 40/45 km/h while climbing... Better choosing motorbike for that I think

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
with a dongle you wont be going up any hills going 45kph it removes the speed limit and nothing else.

if you have the right gearing and a fit rider and can spin the cranks at 120 rpm you can beat a pro rider on a race bike on the flat.

maximum effort is required if not more going that fast but you pay the price in range.

if you went to a swiss mountain you can kill a 500w batt in ten miles non stop climbing so a dongle would be useless.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that bike shows the way to the future, less emphasis on assistance, more on lightness.

Reactions: Artstu

Bloodhound85

Just Joined
Mar 26, 2020
Hi soundwave, I agree Woosh! that bike looks great! and actually, performance speaking, it'd probably be what would suit me better, but budget speaking ... The cube I want to buy, will come home at very little fraction of the price of the specialized !

I don't want especially an ebike, but I love cycling and after years, I know myself, I don't use everyday my bike, because of the effort/laziness. Ebike would just add that "help" that I need for choosing the bike instead of the car !

Thank you for your advice, it's always nice dreaming, maybe one day :)

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
that bike shows the way to the future, less emphasis on assistance, more on lightness.
I'd be happy with the smaller light assist motor but would still want a large capacity battery without the need to resort to the range extender battery option, guess my perfect bike will come along one day.