How can I speed up my Wisper 905 SE Sport

GordonMasson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 17, 2009
I have had my Wisper 905SE Sport for a year now and I am fairly happy with it with the one exception that I would like it to go faster on the off-road part of my journey to work.
It’s a 37V 14Ah system with the off-road button which takes me up to about 19mph.

I am not worried about the range being reduced; I would just like to get the speed up to the mid to late 20’s on battery power.

Is there a way to do this by adjusting the controller on the bike?

Failing that is there a possibility to fit a different motor and keep the battery and controller?

Any thoughts to speed the bike up under battery power greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Gordon

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I doubt you could get up to the late 20 mph on a Wisper. I expect you could change the motor and raise the gearing a bit - this might add a mile an hour or so. Have you thought about an electric/petrol scooter as this might suit you better.

GordonMasson

Feb 17, 2009
I doubt you could get up to the late 20 mph on a Wisper. I expect you could change the motor and raise the gearing a bit - this might add a mile an hour or so. Have you thought about an electric/petrol scooter as this might suit you better.
I don’t have a driving licence due to epilepsy so anything that needs a licence is out.

If I can stick with the Wisper and modify it that’s great because it’s as good as new.
Another option is to sell the Wisper and buy something like a Xipi Quantum 1,500 watt lithium powered bike which will do in excess of 30 mph off road.

If anyone is interested in a Wisper 905 in very good condition then please get in touch as that may help me decide which way to go.

Cheers

Gordon

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I don’t have a driving licence due to epilepsy so anything that needs a licence is out.

If I can stick with the Wisper and modify it that’s great because it’s as good as new.
Another option is to sell the Wisper and buy something like a Xipi Quantum 1,500 watt lithium powered bike which will do in excess of 30 mph off road.

If anyone is interested in a Wisper 905 in very good condition then please get in touch as that may help me decide which way to go.

Cheers

Gordon
best place is ebay, it will be gone within a week......probably amongst the most popular bikes around. Do you think 30 mph on cycle paths is wise? what's the rush?:p

you could always fit the 500 watt wisper motor...PM David Mail regards this, I am sure he would help. But the bike would be illegal for road use so I would again... think twice?

Last edited:

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
I've had two Xipi's in my shop for repair.

I'm going to follow my mothers advice, 'if you can't think of anything nice to say.........'

Accept the speed limit of the Whisper and enjoy it, it's a great bike.

Gordon I've sent you a PM.

Last edited:

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I followed advice from this forum and found the best way to do this is to up the voltage and get a new controller. This will get you what you want - I bought a 48V ecrazyman controller. The alternative is to get a higher rpm hub (300rpm should do it) and stick to the 37V system - you lose torque for hill climbing but it should get you to about 23mph with a bit of pedalling.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I followed advice from this forum and found the best way to do this is to up the voltage and get a new controller. This will get you what you want - I bought a 48V ecrazyman controller. The alternative is to get a higher rpm hub (300rpm should do it) and stick to the 37V system - you lose torque for hill climbing but it should get you to about 23mph with a bit of pedalling.
This is what I did on my recent Peugeot re-conversion. The controller is rated up to 55v and I'm running it just over 48v on fresh batteries. The motor is the Bafang and the difference between the voltages is significant for performance, however going above 20mph takes a lot more power due to wind resistance so I think the OP will struggle to get anywhere near late 20's speed.

GordonMasson

Feb 17, 2009
Hi folks

Ok, what I had hoped to be able to do was to modify the 905SE Sport and get an extra few mph out of it for my long flat off road section.

Don’t get me wrong, the bike is great for going up hills etc its just that for them main part of my journey I am cycling along the flat, off road section at about 19-21 mph so I am carrying the battery and motor rather than it helping me.

I am sure I saw a larger motor on a Wisper bike about a year back when I was looking to buy my bike, possibly a 500W but I cant find one online and the Wisper guys in the UK cant supply anything above street legal which I assume is just their policy.

The motor on my bike is stamped with BFY809B12983-28KM 36V 200W and the bike is the last of the kettle plug type battery connectors with the cable connection box mounted in front of the handle bars.

Can anyone help me with either suppliers of alternative parts for the bike to gain a bit more speed or suggest a way of modifying the existing bike.

I would also like to know how the bike knows to cut power when it reaches its maximum speed?

Can someone explain this please?
Does anyone have a circuit diagram for the bike which includes the controller?

My other alternatives as suggested before are going for a Xipi although it sounds like they may have some build / reliability issues or modifying my Marin Larkspur (700c wheels) with an aftermarket kit.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

phaime

Just Joined
Sep 12, 2011
Wisper 805fe speed limit

Hi Gordon

Please give me a call, when you get a moment.

All the best

David
Hello,

I have a brand new Wisper 805fe, but i admit that pedalling against the motor when reaching 15mph is really annoying. I also noticed that sometime the motor stops even before the criitical 15mph, so i really need to remove that feature.

What is the way to unrestrict that bike, but keeping the nice battery and controller box from Wisper?

Thanks

Markmi

Jul 10, 2019
Wisper 805fe speed limit

Hello,

I have a brand new Wisper 805fe, but i admit that pedalling against the motor when reaching 15mph is really annoying. I also noticed that sometime the motor stops even before the criitical 15mph, so i really need to remove that feature.

What is the way to unrestrict that bike, but keeping the nice battery and controller box from Wisper?

Thanks
I would also like to know if this is possible as it does feel like peddling in treacle when you hit around 15mph, it does spoil the riding experience for me so would love to know if there's an improvement.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I would also like to know if this is possible as it does feel like peddling in treacle when you hit around 15mph, it does spoil the riding experience for me so would love to know if there's an improvement.
It is possible to remove the limited but it does make the bike illegal to use in areas where the public have access.

All the best, David

Dillinger

Just Joined
Jan 18, 2022
Hi David ..... I'm from Romania and I have a 705 torque wisper bike, please tell me how can I remove the 15 mph limit?
I am very satisfied with it and I recommend it to my friends.

Dillinger

Just Joined
Jan 18, 2022
Does anyone know how to remove the 15 mph limitation on the 2018 wisper 705 torque? Adrian did not answer.