How deep is too deep?

Ingrid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2016
Milton keynes
I am new to this forum lark so here goes. I bought an ebike as my two titanium upgrades in the form of hip replacements make keeping up with my husband who is like a mountain goat a thing of the past.
I am the very happy owner of a Haibike Sduro RC Allmtn 2016 and have spent many happy muddy, wet hours on my bike since February. Having just spent a week cycling in the sun in the Yorkshire Dales we have moved onto the Lake District and rather different weather conditions. There is a lot of local flooding, some of which reaches the top of a car wheel. I'm am worried that my bike, which is great in normal lashing rain and mud fests, might not be up to these conditions. If I cycle through these deep puddles submerging my crank shaft and the lower part of my battery will my bike be damaged?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
If I cycle through these deep puddles submerging my crank shaft and the lower part of my battery will my bike be damaged?
Every chance it will be damaged.

Having said that, I pushed my Bosch bike through a shin deep ford - submerging the motor - and no harm was done.

Bosch describe the motor as 'splash proof', which I take as OK to ride in the rain, but not much else, certainly no more than a few inches of water.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If you end up changing your route just to avoid the larger puddles, then you're gonna be missing out on a whole load of fun.

I've known owners pressure wash Haibikes with no ill effects, so ride.. ride like the wind and enjoy ;)

Just be sure to dry off the bike after a ride and apply chain lube if required!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've ridden the fully sealed Panasonic crank unit though a flooded road that submerged it completely, up to and over the battery terminals, and it didn't cut out and suffered no harm. Your bike is listed with the Yamaha unit and I'd expect that to be just as well sealed.

So as Fordulike says Ingrid, give it a try, the betting is you'll be ok.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Ingrid

Aug 22, 2016
Milton keynes
I've ridden the fully sealed Panasonic crank unit though a flooded road that submerged it completely, up to and over the battery terminals, and it didn't cut out and suffered no harm. Your bike is listed with the Yamaha unit and I'd expect that to be just as well sealed.

So as Fordulike says Ingrid, give it a try, the betting is you'll be ok.
Cheers. Will give it a go- fingers crissed

• :D

Ingrid

Aug 22, 2016
Milton keynes
Every chance it will be damaged.

Having said that, I pushed my Bosch bike through a shin deep ford - submerging the motor - and no harm was done.

Bosch describe the motor as 'splash proof', which I take as OK to ride in the rain, but not much else, certainly no more than a few inches of water.
Am going to avoid total submersion but will try the rest

• Agree

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'd rather air caution when it comes to deep water. I was caught out in this poor quality clip if you skip to the 4.30 point, but if water approaches crank level/ wheel bearing level, then I'd sooner get off and carry the bike.
You are going to get wet feet pedalling through it, so carrying the bike is no big deal, and could save potential long term drive train bearing issues.

Related Articles

Advertisers