How did you find out about electric bikes?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm a bit of an odd one out here since I was once in the cycle trade fitting add-on petrol motors to bikes over half a century ago. With that interest in this subject I've followed the evolution of e-bikes from their beginning in 1991, though only buying one for myself in 2003 after they'd evolved considerably and I felt one measured up to having sufficient performance with retention of good cycle characteristics.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi Jack,
I live in Bath, the home of Powabyke, so electric bikes have been around here for a good few years. When I decided to buy a bike ( to cut costs and time in my bus commute- 6 miles with two steep hills), I needed one that could cope with the steep hills of Bath. At first I searched the internet and looked up specific companies. The I thought it wise to seek impartial advice. That's when I found this forum. The expert advise I received here, helped me to eventually buy my Kalkhoff Agattu (not a Powabyke.. sorry guys!..). So I would say that for most, if not all the info I needed, I found it here.

Hope that helps
bw
musicbooks

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
I was looking for electric motorcycles on the web with the intention of going greener for many journeys. Stumbled into the eZee website and here I am.

Jack.Eagle

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2008
Comment

It is interesting how different people first heard about e-bikes, I cannot remember how I first found out about them. I think I saw somebody riding one, or saw one in a bike shop.

Word of mouth seems to the most common way that people have initially found out about e-bikes. Does this hold true for most people?

regards

Jack

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know many have commented on first seeing one on the street like you Jack.

I'd guess another way is through the large number of Powabyke dealers throughout the UK, many holding one of more in stock on display. Powabyke have been established from the early days in the 1990s and have built up a considerable dealer network as you'll see on this page.

Click on each county and you'll frequently see a number of dealers and service centres.

Despite that, those seeing and expressing an interest in one of my bikes usually say they weren't aware of them, and from that I'd guess that possibly as much as 90% of the population don't know they exist.

Exposure on TV should have helped reduce that, The Gadget Show twice (Five) and Working Lunch (BBC 2).

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i was looking at bike hire on guernsey when i saw that you could hire a Powabyke...thats when i started looking and saviing ! :)

rock_hopper

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 21, 2007
Saw a couple around my local area and researched options from there. Visited available dealers close enough and then I found this forum !

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Search engine

A lady living the other side of the road has one. I couldn't help noticing she rarely did any pedalling. Everything else followed that first Google search for "Electric bikes"

Jack.Eagle

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2008
summary so far

The main reasons of how people found out about e-bikes are:

-been involved in the industry
-seen them on the street
-a major manufacture/dealer situated nearby
-found them when looking for electric motorcycles
-saw a e-bike hire place

many thanks for your comments I look forward to hearing more.

Cheers

Jack

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
Dahon Speed P8 Folding Electric Bicycle, LITHIUM batt

On sale at eBay (close 14:44 17th July) if anyone interested. Item number: 170239618051

Iain

halfmedley

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2007
Local bikeshop had a Giant LaFree/Twist for sale, which led me to do some internet research, which led me onto this forum.

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
I've been racking my brains to remember - it doesn't take long:eek: I'm going to point the finger at ebay. I'm always going to see what bike bits I can pick up and there are always some there, of course. I think I must have seen them there first.

The curious thing, thinking about it, is how FEW I've seen around London on my conventional bike travels. I can only remember one. Pretty amazing.

I saw more (well, it wouldn't be difficult) in my one week in Aldeburgh recently than years in London.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The curious thing, thinking about it, is how FEW I've seen around London on my conventional bike travels. I can only remember one. Pretty amazing.

I saw more (well, it wouldn't be difficult) in my one week in Aldeburgh recently than years in London.
It is curious. In five years of riding e-bikes and the preceding 35 years on normal bikes in my London borough of Croydon, plus the surrounding boroughs and Surrey and Kent, I've only seen one parked and never seen one ridden.

It's little wonder that so many of the public don't know of their existence.

sopht

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2008
I agree. There is a kind of complex web of practicalities and desires in London - lack of space, increased probability of theft, increased danger from traffic (perceived), and.. the fashion fascista!
I remember the time I did see an e-bike in London- a woman on, perhaps, a Torq, whizzing by me and looking embarrassed :confused:

She should have looked triumphant.

AgentGinger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 30, 2008
Ipswich
I found out about electric bikes through looking for alternative modes of transport for my partner and myself. We don't have enough money to take lessons and buy/insure/run a car, he didn't want to get to work all sweaty on a conventional bike and I am really unfit due to illness.

So up came the google search and found various options such as mopeds, scooters and electric bikes and decided that an e-bike would be the cheapest and easiest option!

My partner has moved to a job literally right next to our place so he just bought a conventional bike so we can enjoy riding together, and I have a Powacycle Salisbury LPX arriving tomorrow.

I think electric bikes need much more promotion from the government....most of my family and friends had no idea they existed and all thought it was a good idea. The number of cars doing short-ish runs with only one person in them is making so much pollution and conjestion in our towns. If only they could invest some money in promoting electric bike use, who all but the most severly disabled should be able to use!

Most people seem to find out about them by either chance or 'fuzzy searches'...surely that tells us something?

Sorry to ramble.
Alethia

Advertisers