How do I, Should I?

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
As you can see I've got the cranks off. I've also removed the "cassette?". I now need to know how to separate the crank from the gear cluster. I have done some Googling & checked YouTube but they only show me how to do the bits I've already done. The existing large sprocket has 48 teeth, as I will be doing a bit of hill climbing here in Swansea, would it be an advantage to go down to 44?

I'm sure someone will have the answers.

Crank.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like an all in one piece cheap crappy crank set so non replaceable rings, show us a pic from the other side/inner face.

Reactions: PeterPi

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
That looks like a one-piece crank/spider. Not sure what the benefit of changing the large ring to a 44 - looks like you have a 28 and 38 inner and middle ring. Are you planning to go 1x?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Simply use the lower gearing available.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
That looks like a one-piece crank/spider. Not sure what the benefit of changing the large ring to a 44 - looks like you have a 28 and 38 inner and middle ring. Are you planning to go 1x?
I'll take a photo from the other side. There are three other bikes in the workshop so I can do a swap or just take a grinder to the one I've got.

What do you mean by 1x?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Do you mean on the rear cluster, and specify 48 teeth for the motor?
No use the middle front or the granny/small ring along with the rear low gears.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
No use the middle front or the granny/small ring along with the rear low gears.
OK, I'm planning on getting a Bafang BBS01B36V250W or a TSDZ2-36V 250W. Probably leaning toward the Bafang though.

Been a bit occupied with other stuff since my first posts on the forum, and the rain has not given me any incentive to get on with things, but spring is coming and I'm a perpetual optimist.

Forgot to ask, should the stock sprockets fit either motor?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Right now you have explained what you are trying to accomplish, Ok so a 1x set up using only the rear gears available.
The Bafang or Tdsz comes with it's own crank arms you can buy front smaller stock chain rings or buy the expensive Bling ring, both don't use standard chain rings as the bolt centres are different.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Right now you have explained what you are trying to accomplish, Ok so a 1x set up using only the rear gears available.
The Bafang or Tdsz comes with it's own crank arms you can buy front smaller stock chain rings or buy the expensive Bling ring, both don't use standard chain rings as the bolt centres are different.
Thank you. I am looking at the prices on a site in Germany. They are selling in $ so I'm taking an interest in the exchange rate at the moment. I'm glad I've waited as the pound has gone from about $1.18 to $1.32 in the time I've been prevaricating.

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
1x - Means 1 chainring on the crank. You have 3x on your existing crank.

If you are planning a mid-drive, check the fit on the frame, width of the bottom bracket and the chain line with the rear cluster, so you can order the appropriate motor to get ‘best fit’ and minimal wear on the components.

You will also need to figure out what are the best gear ratios for the set-up. You can have a choice of chainrings with the motor, and I assume you can switch cassettes to give you the gear range required. The chain length will be affected by these choices.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
I can see that the TDZS has its own cranks, but I've not seen mention of them with the Bafang. The Bafang setup is approximately $100 more, about £77. Is it worth the extra as I'm ready to click the Paypal button?

Thanks
Pete

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both kits come complete with cranks and chain ring.
I have had two failures with my BBS and now no longer a fan of them , I would possibly opt for the TDSZ or currently leaning towards getting a AKM 48v mid drive in the future if elected to get another.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
Both kits come complete with cranks and chain ring.
I have had two failures with my BBS and now no longer a fan of them , I would possibly opt for the TDSZ or currently leaning towards getting a AKM 48v mid drive in the future if elected to get another.
Finally got around to taking a photo of the sprocket side of the crankset. Looks like I'll not need to strip anyhow, it if they both come equipped.

Sprockets.jpg

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
1x - Means 1 chainring on the crank. You have 3x on your existing crank.

If you are planning a mid-drive, check the fit on the frame, width of the bottom bracket and the chain line with the rear cluster, so you can order the appropriate motor to get ‘best fit’ and minimal wear on the components.

You will also need to figure out what are the best gear ratios for the set-up. You can have a choice of chainrings with the motor, and I assume you can switch cassettes to give you the gear range required. The chain length will be affected by these choices.
Thanks again for the info. I'm sure when I get the kit, if I find the bike needs some modifications or machining, I can crack it. If not I have a cousin who's an engineer with CNC machine tools, tigs ETC.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Finally got around to taking a photo of the sprocket side of the crankset. Looks like I'll not need to strip anyhow, it if they both come equipped.

View attachment 33838
As I suspected it is a cheapo all in one triple crank set riveted together, most modern user friendly one's use chain ring bolts to separate the rings from the crank spider.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
As I suspected it is a cheapo all in one triple crank set riveted together, most modern user friendly one's use chain ring bolts to separate the rings from the crank spider.
Thanks for your help, and thanks to all the others who have contributed.

I finally opted for a TDSZ and a 36V 14.5 AH 522 WH battery. Paid just over £400, all duties included. Should I order a spare "blue" gear, as they seem to be prone to stripping?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think most prefer to replace the blue gear with a brass one.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
I think most prefer to replace the blue gear with a brass one.
I can see them with Aliexpress for about £20. I'll order one and change it before the blue one expires, or maybe it's OK to run it until the blue one gives in?