How effective is "slime" at preventing punctures?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
do you mean slim innertubes or tubeless sealant as you can get slime tubes with both valves.

or this.

you will need a inner tube with a removable valve core so you can pump it in to the tube with a syringe.

going full tubeless will be a lighter cheaper option in the long run as 1l of the stuff i use is £20 and use 50ml per tyre every 3 months.

i have never had a puncture :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Have been using slime now for two years/3000 miles and no punctures! Can't see how it could be used with presta valves, though.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
do you mean slim innertubes or tubeless sealant as you can get slime tubes with both valves.

or this.

you will need a inner tube with a removable valve core so you can pump it in to the tube with a syringe.

going full tubeless will be a lighter cheaper option in the long run as 1l of the stuff i use is £20 and use 50ml per tyre every 3 months.

i have never had a puncture :p
I only had one puncture in my lifetime with a thorn i found it was and ive never in all the yrs used anything ..My bikes always were normal tubing inside tires and not had many problems with punctures personally apart from that one time and that was yrs back :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I only had one puncture in my lifetime with a thorn i found it was and ive never in all the yrs used anything ..My bikes always were normal tubing inside tires and not had many problems with punctures personally apart from that one time and that was yrs back :D
decent tyres help a lot ;)

DSC_0186_02.JPG

1.2kg each :eek:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
A Slime prefilled inner tube saved me once from a long walk home, when a nail stuck in the tyre. It had actually gone through a Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre too and I stupidly pulled it out, thinking it hadn't gone through the protective layer of the tyre. Luckily, a few spins of the tyre and the Slime did its magic and sealed the hole.

Another time, Slime didn't save me, as a piece of glass slashed a hole too big for the Slime to seal it.

I would still recommend doubling up on the protection though, by using a Slime tube and a puncture resistant tyre.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
As I have reported on a previous occasion, a slimed tube in my front wheel saved me from a 5 mile walk home as it was getting dark a few years ago. I had picked up a hawthorn cutting from a hedge. Slime can be used in Presta valves which have a removeable core. Hope this helps.

Jim

Sep 13, 2020
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I might go for the pre slimed inner tubes.

I got this bike on 22nd November, and have only had one puncture - the day after I bought it. Fortunately a slow puncture to the front tyre, so didn't discover it until the next morning. The guy I bought the bike from had given me two spare inner tubes, which was incredibly useful. Found getting the tyre off and back on an absolute sod, but got there in the end.

With Summer just round the corner, I want to take the bike further and off road, but really don't want to get stranded with a fast puncture, so your advice is sincerely appreciated.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Thanks for the tips guys. I think I might go for the pre slimed inner tubes.

I got this bike on 22nd November, and have only had one puncture - the day after I bought it. Fortunately a slow puncture to the front tyre, so didn't discover it until the next morning. The guy I bought the bike from had given me two spare inner tubes, which was incredibly useful. Found getting the tyre off and back on an absolute sod, but got there in the end.

With Summer just round the corner, I want to take the bike further and off road, but really don't want to get stranded with a fast puncture, so your advice is sincerely appreciated.
for off road id not recommend slime tubes.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I’m a firm believer in Slime, checking an old inner tube, the small black dots show the number of repairs it’s done without me knowing.

Not infallible though, a blow out of a front tyre shows how messy it can be.

I have used it to repair wheelbarrow punctures, much easier than trying to remove/refit the tyre and has held good for many years.

MINKY

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2017
lancashire
wont sit on the fence slime in tubes is not very good scetchy at best ..and thats being kind ..ive been off road ing all my life and on a tubed tyre flexing at lower pressures its very very doubful it will seal ..if your intending going off road more tubless conversion and stans sealants is the best option by far ..ive used gorilla tape and stans tape ..prefer gorrila . it take around 20mins to do one wheel tubless ..very very easy .. as long as you have a good pump/compressor for the bead .if you do it you must use stans sealants as it will seal the bead slime is usless ona coversion ..i dont like prestas so use conventional valves off ebay /amozon but either /or depending on preferance ... anything near a thorn hedge or brambles will make a trip off road miserable ...getting four punctures in the same tube at the same time is easily done ....tubless is the best way for sure..tubes are borderline usless off road imho ..still carry one for a slash event but ive never ever fitted one

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Slime helps with punctures but it also causes problems with valves , even the pre-filled tubes . Usually on the ride following a tyre pressure check and inflation . If you use it carry some spare valves and a removal tool .

Steed

Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2016
Lincolnshire
I understand that with a slime filled inner tube you should position the valve towards the top half of the wheel to prevent the slime entering the valve, presumably under gravity.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I use slime, Several glass punctures of late however last year I was more out and about and got less punctures, I have had at least 4 with slime tubes often massive rips. Steed is right best angle at ten or two leave for a while to inflate, let the slime settle and have a valve removal tool, if it clogs its a pain in the.... Personally I was thinking Kevlar insert.

Anyone got any thoughts on them?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I was thinking Kevlar insert.
Anyone got any thoughts on them?
I fitted a kevlar belts many years ago; not that brand. They were not very effective. My experience with Slime around the same time was that it was worse than useless. Marathon Plus were the answer for me, but they are heavy and don't have good sideways grip so are not right for all users.

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
D

Deleted member 33385

The wise old guy at the bike shop almost sold me some pre-slimed inner tubes last week, he's been right about everything else... maybe I should have bought them.

Anyone tried solid tyres?