How light is your bike?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Does weight matter when most of the time you only sit on it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Technically mainly for hill climbing, every kilo needing more power then.

Although weight also affects acceleration, that hardly matters on 15 mph e-bikes when such little time is spent in accelerating.

My bike is 25 kilos.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
It does matter when on occasions you have to lift it up 5 steps to get it through the front door .Especially when you are 72 !

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
flecc, I work out that for my daily 10 miles, I would only need about 3 to 5 AHmax - should I buy a bike with a lighter and smaller battery? or save myself a lot of money buying a steel frame e-bike?

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I went touring with my non-electric fs bike and carried 16kg on rear and 4kg in front bag. The bike rode a lot smoother and to be honest I didn't really notice the extra weight when riding so I think it probably doesn't matter for an ebike.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Yes it matters when you have to lift it up on a bike rack on the motorhome !
Mine weighs under 21kilos without battery

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
flecc, I work out that for my daily 10 miles, I would only need about 3 to 5 AHmax - should I buy a bike with a lighter and smaller battery? or save myself a lot of money buying a steel frame e-bike?
Steel framed bikes are generally more comfortable than alloy, and if your route doesn't have very steep hills needing lots of power, I'd say go for the steel bike.

Bear in mind the other factors though, adding up to how you feel riding each. Personal satisfaction is very important for regular journeys to make them a pleasure rather than a grind.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
in your own experience, which bike is most comfortable for commuting?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
in your own experience, which bike is most comfortable for commuting?
I think too much depends on ones individual preferences in riding for me to say. I would prefer something like the Kalkhoff Agattu, fairly upright riding position but not very fast.

Many would prefer more speed and a more sporty riding position, such as in one of the BH e-motion bikes or a Cytronex.

If the maximum comfort is important, something like the dual suspension Tonaro Bighit will be ideal, roads smoothed out and plenty of power to avoid you having to work very hard.

Worst choice for comfort is a crossbar straight tubed alloy frame with no suspension at all and a front hub motor.

Last edited:

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Well the stats on Oxygens site says 19kg well just over but its not and Andrew says that info is last years model...!

I did say how heavy mine was in another post and i cant remember what the scales said exactly now but i think it weight just under 18kg without the batter and the battery weighs 4kg so if i remember right its actually just under 22kg

I have to lift it about a bit like when i go though them gates designed to stop motorbikes and they are a u bend type thing and i have to lift it into the store room at work well not lift but manoeuvre it a bit

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
If the maximum comfort is important, something like the dual suspension Tonaro Bighit will be ideal, roads smoothed out and plenty of power to avoid you having to work very hard.
This bike looks fantastic!
Before I take the plunge, can anyone tell me if there is anything like it but cheaper?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
This bike looks fantastic!
Before I take the plunge, can anyone tell me if there is anything like it but cheaper?
At least THREE members have bought one of these recently:
Gwethall
Shep
Paul228

You could ask them. They, like you, would have done loads of research before deciding. I suspect the answer is no!. If you want a complete bike thats fantastic value then the SCHWIMM that fatboytrig just got is worth a look ... I helped him unbox it yesterday and had a go myself. For a short commute with moderate hills its fine. fatboytrig wont mind me saying this but if you are not too bothered about style then this is could be the bike for you. having said that one mans style is another mans ... umm porridge! >.. thats not right .. but you know what I mean! ...

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
even if it is a bit heavy it always helps having the weight distributed more evenly.

When i moved from front motor to rear its now made it a pain to lift since the weight all sits on the rear.

Least with a front motor it countered the additional rear rack and battery making it more balanced and easier to lift the weight.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Scottyf, bikes with motors in the front - are they less stable or less manoeuvrable when cornering?

vectra

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2011
Does weight matter when most of the time you only sit on it?
Yes, It does if you need to lift the bike or bikes. My bikes are carried on the roof of my car. The max' weight of bike supported by the actual carriers is 20kg hence my need for an e bike which weighs less than 20kg without battery. After some research I've found no other carrier which will accept, safely, a higher weight.

It, therefore becomes a little irritating when certain manufacturers and suppliers refuse to tell me what the weight of a particular model is! I'm the customer and I may just know what I really need regarding weight!
Regards
vectra

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
i'd probably say with my own experience using the same bike. I prefered the motor in the front for handling and balance.

It cornered better under power as the bike had in effect two wheel drive. It helped maintain power and grip. As i said before the additional weight over the front helped the balance of the bike so this probably helped it feel more stable.

Even more so in the wet.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
scottyf: I think you are right, with front wheel drive, the bike does have effectively two wheel drive.
Which model would you suggest scottyf? should I choose one with throttle or not?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
i like throttle but i know others don't. I can't really advise as i don't have enough experience using the different systems.

I'd hate to advise to you something that is my preference an then you not get along with it.

Best thing to do with any system, drive or bike is to try it. Its very difficult to know exactly what someone wants.

My preference is to use throttle and cruise. Never been fussed about pedelec function as i prefer controlling when the power is applied and by how much. Once up to the 15mph limit i would switch it off and just cycle myself. I only ever used it on hills and to maintain a speed if my legs were battered at the end of the week.
Which doesn't happen so much now since my leg muscles have built up since doing it.

Although throttle does come in handy if you've had a few jars at the local and ride home. Then it all makes sense to ride home slow but without any effort

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I am a strong believer that in certain applications i.e. daily commutes, only carrying a battery of the capacity/weight required is the way ahead. My EBrompton weighs 14kg with motor and controls on the bike. I could probably get that down to around 13kg if I used lighter tires and a two speed setup.

Bag with battery and controller connected via umbilical 2.5kg.

Total all up weight is 16.5kg. Worth noting that this is ready to go with lights and available luggage space etc. Once you add racks, luggage, locks etc to your Ebike that is going to add considerably more weight.

Mine is not light for any other reason than I carry it into and out of my office every day (no heavy locks to carry) and shops if needed. My A123 battery is only 1kg and gives me my 10 miles round commute through Cambridge. I have a charger at work if need be.

There are many other applications for example a 20-30 mile commutes on main roads etc where my bike would not be the best option. I do have a second battery now though and would carry that when I wanted to double the distance travelled.

Remember you need to include racks, luggage, bike locks etc to your overall weight

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi Jerry,
I saw the e-Brompton at evans cycles a couple of months ago and was very impressed by it except that it has a very short wheel base. In your experience, does its very small size make you feel unsafe on say Trumpington Road in Cambridge?