how likely can minihub crack like this

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The freewheel side cover of my MAC motor failed dramatically a few years back, and that was just by the torque applied via leg power to the freewheel.
Admittedly I was pedaling hard off the saddle on the 11T when it happened.

2012-08-26-087.jpg

It really all depends if that batch of motor castings were of poorer quality than usual.
Plus to be fair, the rider did smack the wheel at an odd angle.
Doubtful if Chinese QC's are regulated :eek:

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I mthe same on a large flange Campagnolo hub, wasn;t impressed, expected much longer or infinitesimal service life from a premium brand!!!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I have hit the kerb lots of times but nothing worse than one damaged rim and a few broken spokes over the years. I ride a crank drive now so this kind of problem is avoided altogether.

The spokes do seem quite thick in comparison with the flange on the motor.
Maybe it's better to have weaker spokes acting as fuses in case you hit the kerb hard or choose a motor with lid that is held to the motor body with 6 screws.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

the crack seems to have started by a spoke.
I wonder if anyone has seen this kind of problem before.
If you read the thread, the guy was travelling along fully loaded with an additional electric scooter on his rack when he inadvertently jammed the said scooter directly into the spokes. The crack didn't seemed to have started, instead the motor was smashed apart. I doubt that anyone has seen this before other than those that took the time to read it on ES.

I offer the following advice to fellow ebikers: When travelling along with a large load on your bike, don't jam your wheel with a solid object, otherwise you could end up with a smashed motor and you would leave an environmentally unfriendly black line on the road/path, which is difficult to clean off.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
When travelling along with a large load on your bike, don't jam your wheel with a solid object, otherwise you could end up with a smashed motor and you would leave an environmentally unfriendly black line on the road/path, which is difficult to clean off.
To say nothing of the unfriendly brown line on the saddle.