How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

iain85

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2010
Hi,

Just interested to know how many of us are using our e-bikes off road, and if so, What bike spec are you running?

I'm currently running a GT aggressor with a BMS 500w rear wheel with a centrally mounted ( wedged in the central triangle!) 36v 20ah battery. I can honestly say I am really pleased with the set-up, It maxs about 24 mph and drives fairly easily up the steepest of hills. Aside from the somewhat agricultural installation by yours truely, I couldn't be happier.
I would like to in the future look to build a D8veh Kracken full suspension bike at some point when funds allow.

Look forward to hearing about everyone's kit!

Reactions: Paul chef

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Yep I use the Trek both on and off-road a lot. 80mm front forks are fine for stuff not involving big drops. Same battery as yours with 500W CST motor/30A controller. Far more miles on-road as it isn't driven to where it's ridden off-road, but the rear hub setup copes very well, climbing is never a problem and the throttle steps in on challenging up-hill ruts. Especially where pedals would hit the sides of the ruts before a full rotation could be achieved. Taking steep uphills like that would be impossible on a European crank drive for example and you'd be forced to dismount so it's been very versatile in ways I never thought of before using it. Centre-mount battery is rock solid and 2.1 MTB tyres adequate for most conditions. For jumping about the place I'd want a full-sus though !

The Agattu gets taken off-road too but only on reasonably good trails like the ones below. It's capable enough and derestricted but rarely if ever gets used much above 15mph on a trail. I find the geometry, bigger wheels and 1.75 touring tyres usually on it limit the bike's stability on too much on rougher/softer/muddier ground. Like shady forest paths with deep slippery mud and wet leaves everywhere. Probably a nastier fall from a low-sider too, so tend to be more cautious where it's taken ! But fine for the occasional foray off the beaten track.

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks Alex, do you have any pics of the Trek?
There are quite a few on the CST - it's all working thread. This was after just finishing the build :

but this is what it more usually looks like loaded up with kit in its 'natural habitat' ... :rolleyes:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
My BH Emotion Xtrem spends most of it's time off road, although I've eased off over the last couple of weeks due to the hedges being cut and far too many punctures.

It is still bogstock component wise, but it is such good fun off road. I just love the way that you can climb steep tracks with the back wheel fighting for traction, and yet still have the front hovering just about in contact with the ground.
I've also worked out that you can trick the motor just enough to give you a burst of power at the crucial point when you want to power through something, but can't for whatever reason pedal. I love every second of it.
I've also worked out that even in just the Eco mode, which is all that I use anyway, that it gives you a two gear advantage over not using the motor.

Last week saw me take a big tumble on this Green Lane, Redgate Mill Lane Byway in East Sussex - YouTube and perhaps I was stupid to try it, but that's what the bike is for.
The photo doesn't do anything to show just how bad this track was, but the video above goes some way to show it.

This spot is about 3mins 07secs into the video clip.

Far easier ride on Ashdown Forest.

Another bridleway close to Crowborough.

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Great to see off-road bikes being used out where they belong like this - so many Chelsea Tractors of the bike world round city streets ! I can manage a kind of 'part-rotation & pedal back / repeat' thing on my Agattu sometimes - it's useful for small bursts of power to keep moving in tricky to pedal spots but obviously won't do a very steep uphill run of any length like a throttle.

That Green Lane trail looks a serious beast. Be even worse after trail bikes have spun it all up like in that vid ! Did you lose traction & low-side it ?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Lose traction? Low siding it?

I think you are a bunch of hooligans who would be better off indoors studying for your cycling proficiency tests.

Yours,

Tufty the Squirrel.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Getting the bike muddy would be even worse! :)

I hate the position of the water bottle, and have now done something about that. I'd rather not have the rack fitted, but I'm trying to use the bike to go to and from work a bit, and need the extra room to carry my crap.

Sadly the original shown photo doesn't really show just how slippery, narrow and deep that the ruts were. I've recently fitted clipless MTB pedals and this was my first venture off road with them. They were adjusted too tightly, I lost my balance and it was game over. Sadly and embarrassingly very much my fault.

I'm quite lucky where I live, and I only have to ride a few miles before getting onto the disused Railway line that runs from Groombridge through to Crawley. If I fancy a nice easy evening or early morning ride I often cycle parts of it as no one uses it within those hours. It's a great way to unwind and relax, and you get to see and hear so much that you would otherwise miss.

It fecks me off that we cycles aren't allowed on Ashdown Forest, but rumour has it that it doesn't stop some folk from riding on it!! No idea who though.

One mod that I have made to the bike, is cut a 4" plastic paint tray down and used it as a crud catcher. Not pretty but it works.

Pooh Bridge.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Yeah you're best off not riding clipped in on both sides on downhills in those conditions ! I'd definitely unclip for that, possibly on both sides. Set them on their loosest position too until the cleats wear in a bit and use loads of WD40 on the spring or they'll rust up in no time !

Lose traction? Low siding it?

I think you are a bunch of hooligans who would be better off indoors studying for your cycling proficiency tests.

Yours,

Tufty the Squirrel.
I hope you're not the same tufty the squirrel who caused me to low-side (again) 10 days ago - if I see him again he's toast ! Had done great off-road but just let rip down the steepest hill on the tarred road home hitting 36mph with decent viz ahead (nothing in sight) and somewhat muddy when tufty the bleeding squirrel runs out ahead, zig-zags all over the road and I wind up braking hard - rear brake on full and a decent grip on the front.

But the damned thing just froze right in my line and at the last minute I steered slightly left and of course there was no recovering it this time.. so down I went for a long slide across the tarmac skinning hip, elbow & knee/calf (right royally) and jarring shoulder. I'm just able to put a t-shirt on again but signalling left is a struggle. It's always the unexpected which gets you ! Tell you what, though - everything that should have quick-released did so (Topeak rack bag, phone toughcase - no damage at all to my phone) and bike was intact with barely a scratch. Re-tuned everything when I got home but basically, a blooming miracle.

Last edited:

iain85

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2010
Great pics there Eddie. I must try and stop to take some when I am riding and upload them.

How are you finding the BH emotion? Looks very smart. What are the specs? Does it have a throttle?

I noticed your link there with the Green laning. Are you involved with the trail bike scene?

Also, I feel your pain with the punctures. I experiencing the same problem.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks iain85.

I did buy a KTM a couple of years ago with the intention of trail riding, but suddenly realised that my interest wasn't there anymore. I wanted a quiet hobby for once. :)

I bought the Xtrem on impulse, and only went into the shop to look at e-bikes. I had that horrid WTF have I just done feeling for days afterwards. :D
After riding it for a week or so and getting over the initial shock of spending money that I didn't even have, I began to love the bike.
Like all new things, I didn't want to get it dirty to start with, but I'm glad that I did, as it has opened up a whole new world of fun for me. I tend to mix my rides, so some off road, then some on road.
The bike hasn't been without it's faults. A rear wheel bearing failed, the built in captive nuts that are fitted for the rack, just spin in the frame, and the paint finish chips/peels off as easily as anything and doesn't appear to be etched/keyed to the aluminium underneath.
Because the bike is such good fun I can forgive these faults, which is just as well.

I took the E-bike route over a normal bike, as I have joint issues and was concerned about not being able to ride. Luckily the riding hasn't made any difference, and I think that it has helped. The bike has five modes- no assist, eco, standard, sport and boost. In truth I haven't noticed any difference between them, so just leave it in either no assist or eco. I struggle to get 25miles out of a charge, and that is with me doing a hell of a lot of riding in no assist. It also has regen which I think is just a marketing gimmick and does not work. A mates Trek with it, nearly sends you over the bars, with mine there is nothing.
The forks could be much better, but as you can buy the same ones for about £57.00, they aren't going to be that great.
As a downhill bike it feels very venerable and not that stable, but for climbing it feels brilliant.
It doesn't have a throttle, but I think that non EU versions do. I'm not really that worried about that, as I get enough fun from pedalling it.
If there could be one thing that I would change about the bike, it would be the tube shape. It's a real pain trying to fit anything to the bike, as the tubing is either oversize with no lugs, or square.
My next thing to buy for it, is a decent front light. Whilst the current light is super bright at letting people see me, it does nothing to show up the road/track.

The full spec for the bike can be found here. BH Emotion Neo Xtrem

Very OTT, This is how I take the bike to work with me.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi,

Just interested to know how many of us are using our e-bikes off road, and if so, What bike spec are you running?

I'm currently running a GT aggressor with a BMS 500w rear wheel with a centrally mounted ( wedged in the central triangle!) 36v 20ah battery. I can honestly say I am really pleased with the set-up, It maxs about 24 mph and drives fairly easily up the steepest of hills. Aside from the somewhat agricultural installation by yours truely, I couldn't be happier.
I would like to in the future look to build a D8veh Kracken full suspension bike at some point when funds allow.

Look forward to hearing about everyone's kit!
Very good question iain85, I hate getting my bike dirty therefore the only off road riding I do is between my front gate and my house door. I've often wondered how my battery has lasted so long now going into the twelfth year.

MS.

iain85

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2010
Yes I know what you mean about the noise from the trail bike. I have a laning bike but haven't been out fro a year now. I do (did?) enjoy laning but like you have joint issues and find it exhausting. Since I've built my ebike I get a similar joy but with the less obtrusive noise disturbance to others and more covert stance than a bright orange motorbike!
I will try my motorbike again soon, and if I don't get a major kick from it il be selling it and putting the money towards a full suspension ebike build, probably a Kracken copy from here if I get my head around the battery config!

Did you buy your bike from a shop? If so the faults you mentioned were they dealt with on warranty?

I really like the look of the Ktm ebikes but coming from a motorbike background I do enjoy the throttle and am not really interested in the crank drive systems. That being said I've not tried them so wouldn't rule them out altogether.

Nice bike carrier by the way! Looks like you have the size van for such luxuries. My Vauxhall combo requires the bike to be shoved in between various tools, equipement!

iain85

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2010
Very good question iain85, I hate getting my bike dirty therefore the only off road riding I do is between my front gate and my house door. I've often wondered how my battery has lasted so long now going into the twelfth year.

MS.

Blimey the 12th year! That's pretty spectacular battery life. Do you do much milage on your bike? Also what bike have you got?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Back out today along my favourite bridleway. Sadly I think that the tyres are going to have to go, so any thoughts on what to change them for, now that winter and the muddy season is approaching. :)

The riding is probably split 60% on road 40% off road, and the bike is currently fitted with the OE Continental Explorers 26 x 2.25

Last edited:

Advertisers