How much room do i need for downtube battery please?

Sparks71

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2018
Notts
Hi,
I have a very good spec full suspension mtb I would love to convert to a Ebike but because of the rear suspension design and shape of the down tube I don't know if I can fit a battery using the bottle mounts.
This would be my preferred way as I think it generally looks neater and keeps the weight in a more central position.
A simple option would be to sell the bike and buy a hard tail mtb but for the money I would get I'd be swapping a very good bike for a average hardtail if that makes sense so would prefer to use my bike if possible.
Can anyone give me any dimensions please if you have one or could you recommend an alternative method of placing the battery.
Just for reference I will be using it as a commuter bike more than off road one and I'll fit slicker tyres to reduce drag.
I was thinking of going bbshd route and 48/52v 17 ah battery if that helps.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jay.20190613_130832.jpg20190613_130817.jpg

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I doubt a hailong or shark pack will fit in that gap it will need a custom pack if you want 52v in a frame bag something like this remember the space is smaller once the shock compresses 30839

Sparks71

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 19, 2018
Notts
Hi again,
So after spending weeks trawling through eBay and Gumtree and a wasted 5 hr round trip to look at a E bike I've decided I'm definitely going to get a bbshd and battery for my canyon.
My problem is the limited space in the front triangle due to the tube shapes, so could I have a battery built to fit in there?
If so can anybody recommend a battery builder in the uk, I'm based in the Notts area for reference and would ideally like to not have to trawl half way around the uk to find one.
All help appreciated.
Thanks.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Before you buy the motor check the following
Have you made a cardboard template of the triangle with the suspension fully compressed ?
Then work out if you want 48v pack or a 52v pack then calculate how many cells will fit in the space
A bit of homework before you get in to deep this will save money in the long run

Reactions: E-Wheels

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
https://ebikebatteries.co.uk/ Are the one that always seems to get recommended here. They give dimensions of their stock batteries and are said to offer custom batteries. Worth a try maybe as although London is far away you have a great bike that may need a custom one.
Cheers. Mikel

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Something else to bear in mind, it looks like your bike may have an oversized press fit bottom bracket, in which case you will need to have some adapters machined to fit the BBSHD. This thread on ES may be of help.

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
That bike would make a fantastic conversion. It’s a more challenging conversion but your efforts would be rewarded

Rack batteries don’t really work on fs bikes

There’s smaller variant of the hailong battery case : 90x90x360 that may squeeze in. You need 360 + an extra 25mm for battery engagement

If the bb is indeed a pressfit, ditch the mid drive idea and go with a q128c rear hub. I’ve run both in fs mtbs and the differences are marginal

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing