How quickly does the motor engage after you start pedalling

ppochez

Just Joined
Oct 23, 2020
Hi all!
Was hoping to get some feedback on how quickly different motors engage after you start pedaling... I've only ever tried 2 types of e bikes: the london city bikes (jump) which are great and engage after only half a turn, and the rental zoomo bikes, on which the motor engages after 1 turn and a half, which kind of sucks when starting uphill! Also the Jump bikes are way more comfy while driving in cruise mode as speed regulates to pedaling, whereas the zoomo bikes' motor is jerky and only full on if your speed is below 15mph.
Would you say there's a notable difference between types of motors, and does it have to do with whether they are crank drive or rear hub?
Any input much appreciated!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You can't make a rule. You have to try each bike to see how it is. Things have improved a lot over the years, so most modern ebikes are pretty good.

The type of sensor can make a difference. Generally, torque sensors are quicker than pedal rotation sensors, but every system has its own advantages and disadvantages, so you gain in one characteristic and lose in another.

There's no doubt in my mind that the best system for hill starts is a throttle. It doesn't matter if it's a 6km one or full range. A throttle means that you don't have to have your feet in exactly the right position when you set off.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You can't make a rule.
that's right. On the Bafang MaxDrive (as in the Woosh Rambla), it's instantaneous, not even a tenth of a turn. On bikes with 12-magnet disc, about 1/4 of a turn.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I agree with VFR about the throttle although mine are on old 2011 rear hub bikes they are very useful in many ways not least getting motor assistance straight away when starting from a standstill. Very useful on an incline or if you are in the wrong gear or your pedal is in the wrong position.

That said my 2015 Yamaha motored Haibike crank drive bike has a zero cadence torque sensor and pulls strongly with any weight on the pedals. So it can give a lot of assistance immediately. I like it but the system has received criticism for not feeling natural.

This illustrates VFR's other point that you need to ride a bike to know how it will feel and what you are going to prefer as one bike really can feel very different from another and what you prefer can differ from what someone else prefers.

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
My ALP Bosch motor is instant and gives a natural feeling ride

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As far as I am concerned the only natural ride feeling with a bike is a push bike, not an assisted one with a motor providing the power.

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
My bike has a bosch cx 4th gen drive and the power support is immediate. There seems to be an extar bit of whoomf when you start off so hill starts are no problem

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My bike has a bosch cx 4th gen drive and the power support is immediate. There seems to be an extar bit of whoomf when you start off so hill starts are no problem
Exactly what assisted bikes are for and certainly not a kin to a natural bike ride feel.

ppochez

Just Joined
Oct 23, 2020
Thanks so much everyone. Very helpful. Any chance any of you know if there is a considerable difference in this regard between a Bosch Active Line motor and a Bafang 250w 36v Rear Hub? I know Bosch is supposed to be a better motor with better aftercare anyway, but just wondering about that time it takes for motors to engage, and natural feel while in cruise mode.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks so much everyone. Very helpful. Any chance any of you know if there is a considerable difference in this regard between a Bosch Active Line motor and a Bafang 250w 36v Rear Hub? I know Bosch is supposed to be a better motor with better aftercare anyway, but just wondering about that time it takes for motors to engage, and natural feel while in cruise mode.
What do you mean by better? As I said, each has advantages and disadvantages. There is no difference between them regarding hill starts. The difference comes from the control system, not the motor. You can't have a throttle with a Bosch because the control system is closed to you, but even if a Bafang motor's control system doesn't have a throttle, you can fit one yourself.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bosch better after care ? Try that when/if your bosch motor fails after a 2 years.