How to add a throttle to a Carrera Vengeance E Spec

Evian1040

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2020
It has been a while since I talked here, just want to say thank you to everyone on helping with the code. The bike is still great, the motor and the controller as well! Nothing wrong with it at all.
Upgraded to an electric motorcycle so I'm sending the carrera to Portugal for retirement.

For grant003, the 2021 version is definitely different but i would concentrate more on the code that was developed for the 2019/2020 version as its close to get it working.
What i reckon is the wiring is the same but you will need a scope to see what the wavelength is and tune it to the code.

grant0013

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2022
It has been a while since I talked here, just want to say thank you to everyone on helping with the code. The bike is still great, the motor and the controller as well! Nothing wrong with it at all.
Upgraded to an electric motorcycle so I'm sending the carrera to Portugal for retirement.

For grant003, the 2021 version is definitely different but i would concentrate more on the code that was developed for the 2019/2020 version as its close to get it working.
What i reckon is the wiring is the same but you will need a scope to see what the wavelength is and tune it to the code.
I was thinking it was somthing like that. What part of the code would i need to change? im fine with electronics but the code is quite new to me.

Thank you!

grant0013

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2022
Finally managed to get this working on my Carrera Vengence 2021. Had to adjust the 8.2 code slightly.

const byte ThrottleThreshold = 120; // 1.95V

Not sure why but that seemed to work.

Also, had a problem getting the full 5V to run the arduino i had the throttle rigged to the 5V pad but now i have it on VIN sharing with the 5v from the controller.

Tested for 5 mins tonight and all seemed to work. Thanks for all the hard work guys!

chris79

Just Joined
Jun 30, 2023
Hi Guys,

I've bought a Carerra Vengeance 2023, tried the 8.2 code.. no errors on startup.. blinking light on pedal turn, also on throttle being applied... however, no output from the motor on throttle... if kept held open after about 5-6 seconds an error 43 (or 46 can't recall now) is given.. which clears when turning the pedals.

I've read in the thread here about putting a resistor between some pins.. is this required? Also tried the above mod to put const byte ThrottleThreshold = 120; // 1.95V ... also tried 140... no difference.

Any advice appreciated!

chris79

Just Joined
Jun 30, 2023
Ok checking the user manual, it was likely this one (I will confirm again once I next have the bike with me)..

E43 Speed sensor error (cannot detect speed) Speed sensor failure

chris79

Just Joined
Jun 30, 2023
Just following this up, got it all working as per everything here... and this guys video

The only thing wrong in the video is it needs to be pin D5 not A5.. other than that I can confirm its all working as expected on a 2023 purchased Vengeance... thanks to everyone involved here, I have one happy 15 year old!

atıllae90

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2023
Hello everyone, if anyone is still working on removing speed limits, I can provide some information about the controller. Unfortunately, I broke mine while trying to remove epoxy resin, so I had to stop reverse-engineering the controller. If any of you have already replaced your controller and have the old one, I would welcome donations. Let's get down to business.

The microchip used in the controller is stm32f103c8t, and mine is a 2021 model, which means it uses the ds103 display. Based on the limited information available on the internet, these displays work with CYC X6 or X12 controllers. However, our controllers are custom-built with certain features removed, like Bluetooth.

I strongly believe that motor parameters are stored on the LCD display itself. That's why we can't simply remove the LCD display and hook up UART where the screen connects to retrieve information. However, upon removing the epoxy resin, I noticed a UART connection port next to the controller, which could be used to capture logs of the bootloader. There are three different methods that can be attempted, and I'll explain them as much as I can.

1. The first method that comes to mind is to read the firmware on the controller and reverse engineer it. I didn't know the exact location of the UART coms ports, so I accidentally damaged my controller while trying to remove the resin. However, once the location is identified, it should be possible to remove the resin only where the com ports are, giving us direct access to the UART connection to the microcontroller.
  2. The second method relies on the possibility that the controller uses a communication protocol. Once I receive my non-stock controller, I will hook it up to a logic analyzer to check if I can read the speed information coming from the motor. If it's using a CAN coms protocol, it could be relatively straightforward. Even if it uses a private coms protocol, we can still reverse engineer it by using the existing speed data displayed on the LCD as a reference. By doing this, we can manipulate the motor speed by 5 miles, correct it using an Arduino, and send the corrected value back to the LCD.
  3. The third and most exciting method would be to remove the microchip, read the firmware, modify it, and then rewrite it with the changes.
see the pictures below of the controller I heater whit air dryer which was a mistake I recommend boiling them in hot water for 20 mins then the epoxy comes out as jelly :D or just locate where are the uart connections and slowly use a heat gun.
( I can continue to reverse engineer if one of you source the controller for free or reasonable price :p)

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers