Help! how to change speed limit on carrera im-2?

imboxy

Just Joined
Nov 17, 2021
I'm looking to use the bike mostly for off road hiking around the forrests where i live, as I'm not on the road can I change the speed limit of the motor and if so how?

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
You buy a suspension-less, road-going hybrid commuter e-bike "mostly for off road hiking around the forests"? Yeah, right!

The Impel range is too new. More, the Hyena electrical system it uses is too new, being totally different from anything Halfords or AFAIK any other maker has used before.

Halfords have been pretty clever at foxing those wanting to crack speed limits in the past. Having glanced through the Impel Manual, my guess is they've been even cleverer with this new system.

If you want to give it a try, you can try holding down two or more buttons together for a few seconds and see if any Program Menu's pop up on screen. Or else there may be something in the Bluetooth app, but unlikely IMHO.

In the past with Halfords usual Suntour systems, owners have resorted to upgrading almost all the electrics for extra speed (among other reasons).

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
as I'm not on the road can I change the speed limit of the motor?
Officially: NO. If you are off road in any space accessible to the public (bridleways, towpaths, forest tracks, etc) you can only ride where you would normally ride a bicycle, and the power (250w nominal) and speed (15.5 mph, 25kph) rules for a pedelec apply.

In practice: YES. The chance of encountering any problems is very very small. It could be a problem if you were involved in an accident; but even then it is quite unlikely.