How to convert my existing bikes

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
Both my wife & l have Thorn Raven Sport Tours with Rohloff Speedhub 500/14 hub gears, which have eccentric bottom brackets. I weigh 15 stone am aged 74 can still cycle 30 to 40 miles. My wife is lighter & 3 years younger with similar cycling ability. Can a bottom bracket motor be fitted, or is a front hub motor the only option. The aim is to make life a little easier especially on the hills.

Your suggestions as to which kit is suitable or whether we should by proprietary complete bikes will be looked forward to with interest.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The ECB's are for chain tensioning on the IGH bikes so fitting a CD/ mid drive is remotely possible but then you have the issue for getting the rear wheel off and loosening tension. Generally the idea is not considered though it would be a shame to loose the Rolhoff set up. Two options then go for front wheel conversion of find different bikes. Thorn's I believe have steel front forks so a perfect candidate for a front hub without having to faff about with torque arms.

Off the shelf kits from Woosh or Panda ebikes.

Last edited: