How to correctly dispose with a Li-ion Battery, 3 alternatives.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Or:-
The Afterlife of a Lithium Battery
Lithium End of Life Paths

There are three paths a lithium battery can take: It either goes in the trash, is repurposed, or recycled.

Regards
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Andy.

Sadly we are well behind in battery recycling, but so long as large lithium batteries like our e-bike ones are disposed of at local authority recycling centres, they will be dealt with responsibly. There are some dismantling facilities here, but no lithium recyling facility in the UK. Ours are sent to the nearest which is in Belgium, where they have the largest lithium recycling facility in the EU. Of course the cost of that is likely to rise as we leave the EU in January 2021, but the important thing is dealing with it safely and recovering the useful content.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
An energetic bonfire, a banger and sparklers all in one!

With that sort of economising you must be an environmentalist. ;)
Hardly, apparently the smoke and gases released are quite dangerous if inhaled!
All the party goers may need medical help!
(Maybe even before the fire got going, who could tell?) :) ;) :) ;) :) ;)
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I repurpose the good cells for torch's or other 18650 gadgets, also I make up smaller 12v packs for which I have other uses for.
Knackered or bad cells either I toss in a bucket of water for a few weeks and then bin them or use them as target practice with my nice air rifle with a scope sight and silencer.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I repurpose the good cells for torch's or other 18650 gadgets, also I make up smaller 12v packs for which I have other uses for.
Knackered or bad cells either I toss in a bucket of water for a few weeks and then bin them or use them as target practice with my nice air rifle with a scope sight and silencer.
You may want to think that through a bit more, though the reusage for flashlights is a truly excellent idea, that I fully agree with, and I possess several such flashlights!
Though I have up to now, had to buy the cells separately (new), as in spite of around 10 years with two e- bikes and 3 batteries, I have never had a defective battery up to now, of which I am proud, so I must be doing something right!
With regard to defective cells, and what you do with them, especially if you have children/family that live with you:-
The electrolyte in a lithium-ion battery is flammable and generally contains lithium hexafluorophosphate (LiPF6) or other Li-salts containing fluorine. ... Li-ion batteries release a various number of toxic substances14,15,16 as well as e.g. CO (an asphyxiant gas) and CO2 (induces anoxia) during heating and fire.

Copied from this paper on such cells:-

Truthfully, apparently few have made exhaustive tests on just how dangerous these chemicals can be, but the following was noted on that website:-
Lithium-ion battery fires generate intense heat and considerable amounts of gas and smoke. Although the emission of toxic gases can be a larger threat than the heat, the knowledge of such emissions is limited. This paper presents quantitative measurements of heat release and fluoride gas emissions during battery fires for seven different types of commercial lithium-ion batteries. The results have been validated using two independent measurement techniques and show that large amounts of hydrogen fluoride (HF) may be generated, ranging between 20 and 200 mg/Wh of nominal battery energy capacity. In addition, 15–22 mg/Wh of another potentially toxic gas, phosphoryl fluoride (POF3), was measured in some of the fire tests. Gas emissions when using water mist as extinguishing agent were also investigated. Fluoride gas emission can pose a serious toxic threat and the results are crucial findings for risk assessment and management, especially for large Li-ion battery packs.
The use of water mist as an extinguishing agent may promote the formation of unwanted gases as in eqs (2)–(3) and our limited measurements show an increase of HF production rate during the application of water mist, however, no significant difference in the total amount of HF formed with or without the use of water mist.

My idea, mentioned here, to actually sink either the whole battery, or the whole bike in water, just as the German autobahn Police, extinguish electric cars which are burning, with a large tank of water, would appear to be, if at all possible, the best idea. If not possible, just stay far away and seriously "up-wind" of the battery and its emissions. Which begs the question, if there was such a fire in a house, or even in a garden shed, will the building become toxic in some manner?
I also had a quick glance through for long term effects on humans and animals, but found very little useful info.
A full video here, in a US NASA experimental lab, is seriously worrying too:-
The references are apparently a list of serious battery accidents that have been noted,...
I hope that this was at least of some interest for you, do stay healthy.
Regards
Andy

• Informative
Reactions: MontyPAS

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I did think it through again and using the batteries as targets is much more fun.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I did think it through again and using the batteries as targets is much more fun.
I would hazard a guess that you have no pets and children if that is your decision....
Am I close to the truth?;)

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I would hazard a guess that you have no pets and children if that is your decision....
Am I close to the truth?;)
Maybe he does have pets and children and wants to get rid of them?

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maybe he does have pets and children and wants to get rid of them?
Or perhaps the children were the ones doing the target practice, on the pets while waiting for a spent battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What I have and don't have is my business and not yours.

Reactions: Bobajob

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
What I have and don't have is my business and not yours.
Very true.
But your apparent "Cavalier" attitude (IMHO), to the relatively poisonous dangers of Li-ion batteries, was a real surprise to me personally, as I had previously taken you to be someone with more thought for the environment, and what we all leave behind us for our children and their children to take care of.
This world is turning into a dirty dump even faster than I ever imagined.
Remember, as it said in the article I posted, only a very few have studied the toxicity & any environmental effects of the chemicals produced, so the question is still open on things like birth defects, illnesses and the like.
Myself, I say:- "Why take chances for you and yours?"
But not forgetting local wild life and the neighbours of course....
Have a great day anyway.
Andy