How to make hand throttle less inefficient?

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
My hand throttle is very power thirsty and I don't think it needs to be so. I'm writing this to ask if anyone might please have any ideas how to make it less so.

I've noticed using the hand throttle I've installed on my 14a, 14.5ah Bafang CST conversion, generally draws all 20 bars of power - it's very difficult to get it to use 2 or 4 or 5 or whatever, as the difference in the amount of hand twist required is millimetres or less; yet the difference in power output which I feel, is very little between twenty and ten bars, often. "Feathering" the throttle may help but it's distracting and consumes great gulps of electricity.

Solution 1:

I wish there were some physical notches I could build onto the throttle to 'click' one bar at a time, so I could keep it on one or two or five or whatever. Yet I realise this wouldn't work all that well because the motor might draw more power for the same amount of twist, depending on whether I was biking on a flat or a slope. But it might be at least better than what is the case now.

Solution 2:

Solution 1, but through software somehow.

Solution 3:

Being able to limit the number of bars' maximum power output through the display interface.

Solution 4:

Limiting the amperage output or draw through the display interface somehow (is this already possible? I tried it and it didn't seem to do anything).

Solution 5:

Some sort of algorithm which ensures no more electricity is drawn than is used (allowing for ordinary 20% losses), especially on accelleration, uphills etc.

A thought on why pedalling is so much more efficient - what a throttle-efficiency algorithm needs to reproduce.

I think one reason pedalling gives such improved mileage over throttle-only, is because it tends to ration or dripfeed electricity, to the minimum quantity the system can get away with, rather than just blast it out as with the throttle. This must have an additional efficiency-producing effect, over and above the power contribution which the act of pedalling produces. It would be great to have some software which at least attempted to replicate the virtuous elements of this process. Or barring that at least a simple way to limit the power output.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Different controllers have different algorithms. I have one to test at the moment that has a programmable ramp. If you're any good at electronics, you can make a throttle tamer. If you search for that on Endless-Sphere, you can find schematics. I think one guy is selling ready-made ones there. Another option is the Cycle Analyst, which has a throttle ramp function.

Reactions: jonathan75

Advertisers