Help! How to remove DHMC TC-580 speed limit?

hedgehog97

Just Joined
Jun 26, 2022
I've bought an e-bike several weeks ago, and it kept turning its motor off whenever it gets to 25km/h. I've googled the way to remove the limit but the resolution doesn't work which is to press both + and - at the same time to get into the setting mode and then change the number. I assume that the controller has some kind of internal blocking system that blocks changing numbers. (The numbers won't change however many times I press + or - button.) Does anyone know how to bypass that system on my controller?

The only solution is to buy the controller without that system from China but it costs like 130 dollars and takes more than a month :(

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pedal a bit harder to get above the speed cutoff, the limit is why they are called pedelcs so they have the same rights of use as a pushbike.
Why do so many want a moped that doesn't conform to pretty much most world wide pedelec regs ?

hedgehog97

Just Joined
Jun 26, 2022
OBJECTION: IRRELEVANCE :)
because I've seen so many road bikes that drive above 30km/h and if I run my "thigh" motor after the e-motor has been shut down, it's gonna be much harder to reach that speed due to the heavy weight of the bike. Theoratically it is possible to reach 30km/h with the support of the motor, but it won't last more than 10 seconds. It's gonna be way shorter if your bike resembles a motorcycle with lower seat position and your spine is gonna burst. What I want is for my motor not to "shut down," but to keep its speed on 25km/h so that I can add my thigh power on it to reach fast enough speed. What you call a limitor is not a limitor that keeps the certain speed but rather it's a switch that forces the bike to slow down.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
What you call a limitor is not a limitor that keeps the certain speed but rather it's a switch that forces the bike to slow down.
The limiter on my eBike starts cutting the power as the bike approaches the UK speed limit for a pedelec, 25kmph.

Sure I can add leg power and pedel to 30kmph, but then its not allowed to have the motor assisting.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Why do so many want a moped that doesn't conform to pretty much most world wide pedelec regs ?
I think in many cases it is (very understandable) lack of knowledge of the regs; in fact for most people it may come as a surprise that there are special regulations at all.

To clarify for those. A pedalec is an electrically assisted bike which can be ridden with the same rules as a bicycle; eg on bridleways, canal paths etc, with no need for helmet, insurance, licence, registration, number plates etc. To classify as a pedalec the bike motor must have a maximum (nominal continuous) power of 250, and it must not provide assistance over 15.5mph (also some other restrictions). If the bike does not fall under these limitations it classifies as an S-pedelec for which the rules are the same as for a moped.

E-bikes that break the pedelec regulations are not illegal, it is just illegal to ride them as if they were push bikes.

You can argue whether the law is appropriate or sensible (many here argue that 20mph would be a more suitable cutoff limit) and you can ignore the law if you choose, but that is how the law stands. Some e-bikes are sold so that it is quite difficult to modify them to break the pedelec regs; many are sold so that it easy to tune them to break the regs; and many others break the regs even as sold.

Clearly quite a few people are very well aware of the law and very happy to break it, especially as they know that the risks of being caught are so tiny, and that the risks of significant penalties even if the are also small. Some people seem to enjoy the fact they are breaking the law even more than they enjoy the added speed.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

hedgehog97

Just Joined
Jun 26, 2022
So many idiots who cannot even answer to the "question." I'm not interested to such didactics. Just answer the question or leave.

• Dislike
Reactions: Nealh

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Do appreciate that some forum members are reluctant to advise on what is potentially illegal activity, its also against forum rules.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
OBJECTION: IRRELEVANCE :)
because I've seen so many road bikes that drive above 30km/h and if I run my "thigh" motor after the e-motor has been shut down, it's gonna be much harder to reach that speed due to the heavy weight of the bike. Theoratically it is possible to reach 30km/h with the support of the motor, but it won't last more than 10 seconds. It's gonna be way shorter if your bike resembles a motorcycle with lower seat position and your spine is gonna burst. What I want is for my motor not to "shut down," but to keep its speed on 25km/h so that I can add my thigh power on it to reach fast enough speed. What you call a limitor is not a limitor that keeps the certain speed but rather it's a switch that forces the bike to slow down.
I see what you are saying: you want the bike to give you the amount of assistance needed to achieve 25km/h, and no more, but you want to be able to add your own effort on top to get a higher speed.

The way the regulations are written doesn't allow that. Above 25km/h there has to be no assistance.

You can avoid the feeling of sudden loss of assistance by targeting 24km/h.

Advertisers