How to remove the key from the immobiliser lock on a Freego Eagle?

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Just enjoyed my first ride on my new Freego Eagle this morning. :)

I have a question. The bike comes with an immobiliser lock for the rear wheel. I can't remove the key from the lock while it is unlocked. The key comes out easily when it is locked, but I want to take it out again after unlocking it - basically so I can keep the key on the same keyring as the other keys for the bike's battery and locking chain, and not have to leave them hanging from the side of the bike while I am riding.

Any trick to doing this?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
if the lock retains the key by design then you cannot remove it when unlocked.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Well, see, that's what I don't know for sure. Maybe, you have to press it in and turn it or something to release they key.

Just wishful thinking though, I suspect it is designed that way. Odd design decision though. Why shouldn't I be able to remove a key from a lock when it is unlocked? Don't most people use keyrings?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Odd design decision though. Why shouldn't I be able to remove a key from a lock when it is unlocked? Don't most people use keyrings?
so to make sure you have the key before you lock your bike?
Keep the spare key somewhere safe.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
so to make sure you have the key before you lock your bike?
Keep the spare key somewhere safe.
... but you need the key to lock it, so that isn't the reason.

Also, the safest place is on my keyring. Keeping a loose single key anywhere else means I will lose it for sure :)

Norfolk Mike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2015
Marsham, Norfolk
... but you need the key to lock it, so that isn't the reason.

Also, the safest place is on my keyring. Keeping a loose single key anywhere else means I will lose it for sure :)
Hi Smee
Just bought an Eagle, it was delivered today. My first discovery after putting the battery and bike lock keys on the same key ring - you can't remove the wheel lock key so have to keep them separate!
Cycled 18 miles today which I enjoyed despite the weather, bit of a rattle I think from the battery.
You have had your bike for 6 months now, any advise for a newbie?
Mike

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
if the lock retains the key by design then you cannot remove it when unlocked.
Sounds very much like a dutch wheel lock to me. Intended to stop someone riding off on your bike by preventing the rear wheel rotating. Not very useful for locking the bike to anything, but prevents oportunistic theft outside a shop.
Am I correct?
(If so the key is only meant to come out when locked, so it's always with your bike.)
Not easy to find but I hear that there is a man who sells them in Cambridge marketplace (tempted to get one for the cheap non ebike).

James

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Cycled 18 miles today which I enjoyed despite the weather, bit of a rattle I think from the battery.
You have had your bike for 6 months now, any advise for a newbie?
Mike
Well done. Just got back from a 30km ride this morning myself. Still enjoying it, and I find I am now using it in lower power modes more and more. In fact, I turned off the battery assist for quite a few kilometres today. Must mean I am getting fitter. :)

I don't have any rattles, but I get a chirpy-type of sound when I hit bumps occasionally, I think it's coming from the front suspension somewhere.

Small issues I have had include the front mudguard rubbing on the tyre. It doesn't have much clearance and the one screw at the top, that also holds the light, lets it move easily.

Also, I had trouble with the seat height. I am heavy and it kept sliding down, no matter how tight I clamped it. Asked a bike mechanic, and he just clamped it up tight, then got an allan key wrench with a big handle, and did it up as tight as he could. Hasn't moved since :)

So, nothing major. I am really happy with the quality of the bike.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Sounds very much like a dutch wheel lock to me. Intended to stop someone riding off on your bike by preventing the rear wheel rotating. Not very useful for locking the bike to anything, but prevents oportunistic theft outside a shop.
Am I correct?
(If so the key is only meant to come out when locked, so it's always with your bike.)
Not easy to find but I hear that there is a man who sells them in Cambridge marketplace (tempted to get one for the cheap non ebike).

James

You are correct, that's how it works.
Unfortunately, the design is as you say. In practice that means you end up with the key separate from all your other keys (because you cannot keep it on your main keyring) when you walk away from the bike, which means that one small loose key is more easily lost/mislaid. I have already lost one.

Norfolk Mike

Feb 5, 2015
Marsham, Norfolk
Well done. Just got back from a 30km ride this morning myself. Still enjoying it, and I find I am now using it in lower power modes more and more. In fact, I turned off the battery assist for quite a few kilometres today. Must mean I am getting fitter. :)

I don't have any rattles, but I get a chirpy-type of sound when I hit bumps occasionally, I think it's coming from the front suspension somewhere.

Small issues I have had include the front mudguard rubbing on the tyre. It doesn't have much clearance and the one screw at the top, that also holds the light, lets it move easily.

Also, I had trouble with the seat height. I am heavy and it kept sliding down, no matter how tight I clamped it. Asked a bike mechanic, and he just clamped it up tight, then got an allan key wrench with a big handle, and did it up as tight as he could. Hasn't moved since :)

So, nothing major. I am really happy with the quality of the bike.
Thanks for the quick reply. Discovered the cause of the rattle. There is an alloy strip that the battery slides down on when on the bike. This is held in place by one screw which was loose allowing the battery to move about and rattle.

Tightened it up before using the bike today but within about 6 miles it was loose again. The bike was supplied by Electrifying Cycles of Cromer who are being very cooperative will attend to it at the 6 weeks/ 200 mile check up.

Certainly felt the benefit of pedal assist against a cold wind today.

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
You are correct, that's how it works.
Unfortunately, the design is as you say. In practice that means you end up with the key separate from all your other keys (because you cannot keep it on your main keyring) when you walk away from the bike, which means that one small loose key is more easily lost/mislaid. I have already lost one.
Poke a keyring through the key with one of those small clips on it so you can clip it to your other keys when it comes off the bike.

Something like one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KVGFF1W/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1423248079&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=keyring+clip+metal+small&dpPl=1&dpID=41sxJA9ayjL&ref=plSrch
Or this sort of thing is good as your main keyring if you don't mind the weight
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0046YJJMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?qid=1423248180&sr=8-18&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=keyring+clip+metal+small&dpPl=1&dpID=41jvPAckBfL&ref=plSrch

Last edited:

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Thanks for the quick reply. Discovered the cause of the rattle. There is an alloy strip that the battery slides down on when on the bike. This is held in place by one screw which was loose allowing the battery to move about and rattle.

Tightened it up before using the bike today but within about 6 miles it was loose again. The bike was supplied by Electrifying Cycles of Cromer who are being very cooperative will attend to it at the 6 weeks/ 200 mile check up.

Certainly felt the benefit of pedal assist against a cold wind today.
Probably just needs a washer, or some loctite to stop the screw coming loose.

The shop I bought mine from was very helpful at delivery time etc. Nice to see an industry with plenty of good people in it.

smee

Pedelecer
May 12, 2014
Poke a keyring through the key with one of those small clips on it so you can clip it to your other keys when it comes off the bike.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KVGFF1W/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1423248079&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=keyring clip metal small&dpPl=1&dpID=41sxJA9ayjL&ref=plSrch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0046YJJMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?qid=1423248180&sr=8-18&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=keyring clip metal small&dpPl=1&dpID=41jvPAckBfL&ref=plSrch
That's a good idea. Thank for the tip.

Norfolk Mike

Feb 5, 2015
Marsham, Norfolk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KVGFF1W/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1423248079&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=keyring clip metal small&dpPl=1&dpID=41sxJA9ayjL&ref=plSrch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0046YJJMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?qid=1423248180&sr=8-18&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=keyring clip metal small&dpPl=1&dpID=41jvPAckBfL&ref=plSrch
Thanks James. Obvious, but I hadn't thought of it. As it happens I have one of these little key ring clips on my car key that held a shopping trolley token. Have lost the token but now have a use for the clip!

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi Mike,

You can not remove the key from the rear wheel lock until you have locked the wheel. Obviously this means the keys will be dangling when riding. However we are happy to take a look when we complete your six week service as there is likely to be a way to overide this. In addition we will have a look into this to see if there is a simple solution which you could do yourself if some of the suggestions above do not work.

Reagrding the screw, happy to send you a washer, this was tight when it left us. If you instead by some loctite let us know and we will reinburse you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Glad you are enjoying the bike :)

Dave

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There are two versions of frame locks: One that keeps the key when open and the other which does not. I am going to opt for the latter and have all the bike keys on one keychain. There are twin kits for front and rear which use the same key.

You can also buy a cable for the frame lock. It has a closed loop at both ends. Others have a plug in chain which locks when you turn the key. The cable which can go through the saddle is on my list. And another folding lock to attach the bike frame and front wheel to something.

Yep, I park my bike in Spain... :D

Tony

Pharisee

May 9, 2011
On one of my previous electric bikes, I cut a length of broomstick and dropped it down the frame tube. The saddle tube stopped against that and the clamp only needed to be tight enough to stop the saddle from turning. You may need a couple of attempts to get the length right. :)

Norfolk Mike

Feb 5, 2015
Marsham, Norfolk
Hi Mike,

You can not remove the key from the rear wheel lock until you have locked the wheel. Obviously this means the keys will be dangling when riding. However we are happy to take a look when we complete your six week service as there is likely to be a way to overide this. In addition we will have a look into this to see if there is a simple solution which you could do yourself if some of the suggestions above do not work.

Reagrding the screw, happy to send you a washer, this was tight when it left us. If you instead by some loctite let us know and we will reinburse you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Glad you are enjoying the bike :)

Dave
Dave
The wheel lock key is not really a big deal. My initial reaction was to put both keys on the same key ring which of course you can't do. On reflection, the fact that the key has to remain in the lock when the lock is not in use is not a problem as it does mean you always have the key with you when you want to lock the bike.

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
Yes. And it is also very important that you solo kit and take the key with you when you "popped into the shop for a minute" or similar. The thought of some rascal licking your bike and walk away with the key is too painful to think about

Reactions: freeme3

AndyBolton

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2015

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KVGFF1W/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1423248079&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=keyring+clip+metal+small&dpPl=1&dpID=41sxJA9ayjL&ref=plSrch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0046YJJMQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?qid=1423248180&sr=8-18&pi=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=keyring+clip+metal+small&dpPl=1&dpID=41jvPAckBfL&ref=plSrch
My Freego Hawk came with a water bottle, attached to the top of which is a clip just right for the job.

I actually approve of this locking design and see the sense in it.

Reactions: Norfolk Mike

Advertisers