How to restrict a 1700w bike

ManAnd

Just Joined
Jan 12, 2020
Hello. First post here and I’m quite new to speed pedelecs and e-bikes in general. I bought a 1700w off-Road bike 48v and all works well with no problems. However I’d like to use it (legally) for commuting sometimes too, so I’d like to be able to temporarily replace the controller etc with a 250w 15.5mph one.

Question is, which parts would I need to replace; would the controller be enough, or would I need to replace the battery, LCD and/or motor too?

The bike I currently have uses a KT-LCD3 and the controller is http://wing-ebikes.co.uk/?page_id=2723 this one.

D

Deleted member 25121

Hello. First post here and I’m quite new to speed pedelecs and e-bikes in general. I bought a 1700w off-Road bike 48v and all works well with no problems. However I’d like to use it (legally) for commuting sometimes too, so I’d like to be able to temporarily replace the controller etc with a 250w 15.5mph one.

Question is, which parts would I need to replace; would the controller be enough, or would I need to replace the battery, LCD and/or motor too?

The bike I currently have uses a KT-LCD3 and the controller is http://wing-ebikes.co.uk/?page_id=2723 this one.
You'd need to replace the motor with a 250W one.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and Gringo

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any bike with a marked motor > 250w will always be illegal no matter what controller is used.

D

Deleted member 25121

A motor is also illegal if there's no marking of its power rating.

ManAnd

Just Joined
Jan 12, 2020
How easy is it to replace a motor? Is it just replacing the rear wheel, (rear hub type)?

D

Deleted member 25121

You'll to buy a new wheel with a 250W motor or you'll need to rebuild your existing wheel using a 250W motor which would involve unthreading all the spokes and rethreading them with the 250W motor. The 250W motor may be a different size in which case you'd need new spokes.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How easy is it to replace a motor? Is it just replacing the rear wheel, (rear hub type)?
very easy but keep in mind that you need to check a few things:
- same rim size
- if the old wheel has internal speed sensor, the new wheel needs that too
- if the old wheels have Hall sensors, the new wheel needs that too
- the 250W wheel needs to be geared type for hill climbing at low speed
- the 250W motor needs to be able to handle the maximum current that your controller can give.

You need something like the 48V SWX02 motor that I sell, unfortunately, we don't yet sell components. You will have to look for something like that on bmsbattery website.

Advertisers