How to start?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I don't even have a regular commuting bike so far.
What I really want is a bike
- that's easy to fold ie: to fit in my car boot
- has a long range (60 miles?)

And I'm not sure you can get that with a regular prebuilt ebike? I also wouldn't know what bike to buy too...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's not very difficult, but you may have to do the conversion yourself.
Start with a Brompton because it's the best folding bike that can easily go in the boot of most cars.
Fit a Q70 wheel. Find a way to mount an HL battery to the head tube.
That's it.

Reactions: anonymous

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
it's not very difficult, but you may have to do the conversion yourself.
Start with a Brompton because it's the best folding bike that can easily go in the boot of most cars.
Fit a Q70 wheel. Find a way to mount an HL battery to the head tube.
That's it.
Tbh. I'd probably pay someone to do it, if it means I get a decent quality bike at a decent price

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you reduce your range to 40 miles, it will be a lot easier because the battery will be 30cm long instead of 36cm. It makes a big difference to the task of fitting the battery to a small bike.
E-bike batteries are typically built with 18650 cells, as packs of 30 cells, 40 cells and 50 cells.
30 cell packs are a bit weedy, 50 cells a bit bulky, 40 cells about the right choice for the Brompton.
With 3500mAH cells, you get 36V * 14AH, good for 40-50 miles with little pedalling.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
their B75 is excellent value for money. You don't need many gears when you have an electric motor.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
their B75 is excellent value for money. You don't need many gears when you have an electric motor.
Thanks. They really are cheap! I guess I'd probably want to go back to a standard bike fairly easily too ie: improve overall fitness too. Is the one I linked to OK?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they all have the same frame, so it won't make any difference to fitting a kit.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
if you reduce your range to 40 miles, it will be a lot easier because the battery will be 30cm long instead of 36cm. It makes a big difference to the task of fitting the battery to a small bike.
E-bike batteries are typically built with 18650 cells, as packs of 30 cells, 40 cells and 50 cells.
30 cell packs are a bit weedy, 50 cells a bit bulky, 40 cells about the right choice for the Brompton.
With 3500mAH cells, you get 36V * 14AH, good for 40-50 miles with little pedalling.
Should I buy this kit? Still not sure about the tyres

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the range is limited by the battery's capacity.
the battery on that kit has 30 cells, eco: 36V * 7.5AH, pro: 36V * 10.5AH.

Brie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2019

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It's tempting isn't it, Nice easy conversion? However all that battery weight on the handlebars......I'm not so sure, and you'd definitely want the bigger (heavier) battery.
Also, as mentioned, their customer service has reportedly been ropey at best.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Big wheels = high top speed and stability
Little wheels = more torque for climbing hills and less stability

For commuting 25 km I know what I would choose. If it has to be folding then you have the Tern Joe or the Montague.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I was going with the Swytch kit, but was put off by their reported less than helpful attitude if there is a problem amongst other things. Nano in Leamington Spa do a similar kit for Bromptons and regular bikes. I’ve settled on the Woosh XF08C kit for mine.
This thing?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Big wheels = high top speed and stability
Little wheels = more torque for climbing hills and less stability

For commuting 25 km I know what I would choose. If it has to be folding then you have the Tern Joe or the Montague.
Why not the Brompton? Also I'd rather not have a foldable bike but bikes aren't allowed inside the house as per the rental agreement, and I already have a car. I can't really store it anywhere securely otherwise

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Get a van and store your bike in the back of it. That's what I do. My Peugeot Partner does 55mpg, which is loads better than the saloon car I had before and it's nicer to drive.

Last edited:

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Get a van and store your bike in the back of it. That's what I do. My Peugeot Larger does 55mpg, which is loads better than the saloon car I had before and it's nicer to drive.
I did actually think of buying a cheap as hell van just to store a bike in it, but then I thought about my insurance... I'd also prefer my car now especially as it gives better mpg than that!