Hub and CD together?

Paul Grey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 22, 2017
Swansea
Has anybody ever combined a HUb and CD on the same bike? Your probably wondering.. why on earth would you want to do that?

Is it even possible? If so how would you set this up?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
d8veh has done it.
If you want to do this yourself, it's possible.
Both CD kit and hub kit can share a good battery. You will have to shave a bit off the left side of the BB from the CD kit to fit an additional magnet disc for the hub kit. Anotherkiwi has done that, so I know it's possible.
Other than that, it's just 3kg additional weight for the rear hub motor.
I can't see the advantage. A BBS02B would have about the same output without the wiring mess (two LCDs, two sets of brake cutouts)

D

Deleted member 4366

I've done with two hub-motors and a crank-drive. The main drawback is that the CD and or rear hub-motor unload the front one so that it spins under power:

9d43ccd2-7a79-4d99-a05c-355b3873ce3d_zps4ab114cf.JPG

How you set it up depends on what motors and systems you're going to use. We need more details.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Two wheel drive. The new xiongda motor would be an ideal candidate only adding another 1.5 kg. You will have issues with the buttons for changing assistance levels. You don't need 2 x LCD (in fact you don't even need one if you have a good memory) and a (1) hidden wire brake switch for the mid-motor is plenty.

I am working on new ideas for alternative PAS rings at the moment, as an intelectual exercise, not out of necessity. Home made CF disk is my favorite followed by inserting the magnets into an aluminium granny chainwheel.

Paul Grey

Jan 22, 2017
Swansea
I am afraid it's the same old conversation across the forums.. monster hills. So I already have a bike with a rear Hub and for the most part it's great. But if I start hitting some crazy hills then it's a no go. And yes we are talking 15% plus. Just wanted to understand if adding a CD would help or would it be better and easier if I just had a front Hub as well? Or a more powerful rear Hub. @whoosh.. I can't remember what th rear Hub is but it's a zephyr B 2017. Again the bike has been great.. just I do some heavy miles on it and can be restricted by route. I have a spare battery as well and happily do 50 miles with both.

D

Deleted member 4366

What motor do you have?
What battery do you have?
What controller do you have?

There may be much better ways to get up those hills than to fit another motor.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am afraid it's the same old conversation across the forums.. monster hills. So I already have a bike with a rear Hub and for the most part it's great. But if I start hitting some crazy hills then it's a no go. And yes we are talking 15% plus. Just wanted to understand if adding a CD would help or would it be better and easier if I just had a front Hub as well? Or a more powerful rear Hub. @whoosh.. I can't remember what th rear Hub is but it's a zephyr B 2017. Again the bike has been great.. just I do some heavy miles on it and can be restricted by route. I have a spare battery as well and happily do 50 miles with both.
I would add to the list above:

Gearing?
What climbing speed are you aiming for?

Most bikes will climb 15%+ if they are in the right gear and you aren't expecting more than 10-12 km/h

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What motor do you have?
What battery do you have?
What controller do you have?

There may be much better ways to get up those hills than to fit another motor.
Paul has a Woosh Zephyr 2017.
The motor is SWX02
The battery is 12AH with Samsung cells (10S4P pinkies).
The controller is 17A Lishui.

As he said, it fine until it hits 15% plus gradient.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Paul has a Woosh Zephyr 2017.
The motor is SWX02
The battery is 12AH with Samsung cells (10S4P pinkies).
The controller is 17A Lishui.

As he said, it fine until it hits 15% plus gradient.
"8-speed Shimano gears"
"Prowheel alloy crankset"

Size matters Woosh...

+15% gradients require a 32 tooth chainwheel and 11-34 cassette. Without a motor you would use 26:34. That chainwheel isn't going to be any good for top speed on the flat...

My test hill was climbed with much effort on my and the mxus motors part with 48:34. GSM 32:34 seated just twidling the pedals and less than 200 W in most spots.

Paul Grey

Jan 22, 2017
Swansea
Indeed, I am heavy as well and prob not as fit as most but getting there. TBH I am fine for 90% of most journeys. Again the bike is great. I mean maybe I should keep those hills for when I am fitter and lighter

Reactions: Woosh

Paul Grey

Jan 22, 2017
Swansea
So double Hub, front and back? Would this need two controllers? Two LCDs? Can you use the same battery or would have to be seperate? Would they play havoc with each other and give it jittery ride?

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
The more power the better, what about 2 hub motors and a crank, and me on amphetamines to boot, how far can we go lol

D

Deleted member 4366

So double Hub, front and back? Would this need two controllers? Two LCDs? Can you use the same battery or would have to be seperate? Would they play havoc with each other and give it jittery ride?
You need two controllers, but you only need one LCD, one throttle and one PAS. You can use one battery as long as it can provide enough current for both controllers at the same time. My preferred control system is to use the PAS and LCD for the rear motor and the single throttle for both. You use the rear motor for most riding, and when you need more power for hill-climbing, open the throttle to work both motors.

Reactions: anotherkiwi