Hub Gears

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I want hub gears. Are there any hub geared crank-drive ebikes?

Preferably at around £1200. I think a decent hub geared bike should be around £450 so £1200 sounds like a reasonable price?

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
However:

Hub gears are less strong than derailleurs and have much lower torque limits, but the only time this troubles e-bikes is with crank-mounted drives where both rider and motor power passes through the gear hub. At least one maker of these crank drives reduces the motor power slightly for use with hub gears, so if a high power crank drive is contemplated, hub gears should not be used with it. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/news/electric-bike-gears/ This may mean derailleur is a better bet!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

Preferably at around £1200. I think a decent hub geared bike should be around £450 so £1200 sounds like a reasonable price?
That's a bit tight, a basic Shimano hub retails at £200 or so, which doesn't leave a lot for the bike.

The Bosch or Yamaha system adds about £1,000 to the cost of the bike, so £1,500 or more would be closer.

A cheaper way would be to buy the £450 hub gear bike - if such a thing exists - and convert it with a crank kit for about £600.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have hub gears on a couple of my electric bikes, but both are front hub motors.

Personally speaking, and for simple on road/cruising/utility I find that combination is my favourite.

Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I have hub gears on a couple of my electric bikes, but both are front hub motors.

Personally speaking, and for simple on road/cruising/utility I find that combination is my favourite.
Can they go up steep hills? 10% local, 32% desirable.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A Rohloff can handle the torque, only adds 1000€ to the price of the bike :cool:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Can they go up steep hills? 10% local, 32% desirable.
At 32% you need crampons and a team of Sherpas, not an E-bike.

If you went with a Bafang BPM in the front you would have a really good hill climbing machine, and you could still have hub gears.

The Whoosh Big Bear is a good examaple, I've always thought they should do a hub gear version.

Reactions: RobF

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont

The Kudos Eiger is crank drive and comes with a choice of hub gears or dérailleur gears.
The hub gear version costs about £1360 I think and has fancy gears which are constantly variable.

The derailleur gear bike is £895.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012

Me too.

My "best" commuting/touring ebike is my DIY converted German Alubike.

It was a secondhand full suspension with a step through very lightweight aluminum frame. It already had an Sram S7 seven speed hub gear which works really smoothly and with a wide range.

When I added a 250rpm Q100H front hub motor it has all the power I need and gives me a range of about 25 miles assisted with my 36v 10ah lithium iron battery pack.

The q100H is really small, looking like the previously fitted dynohub.

Thank goodness for forums like this and DIY ebike parts, some of the ready-made prices make my eyes water... :rolleyes:

The secondhand Alubike cost me £150, and the BMS ebike conversion parts cost another £150, plus £200 for the battery.

alubike q100h.jpg

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Latest advice says that the chain is the weak point (tested) and the good quality hub gears are strong enough. Saving up now. I'm not sure if my budget wiil stretch to hub gears.

Thinking about security and insurance. Not enough secure cycle parking locally and it will not improve not as quick as new cyclists. .

Last edited:

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
PS: I'm going for ready-made and saving on replacement parts when my current pedal bike wears out again.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
woosh Zephyr CDN
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-cdn

10% yes, 32% no.

Tempting. I've got a bus pass (I wonder if I could take the this on buses?) Ltitle wheels are not very good on the bumpy paths and roads with potholes I've found out before.)

10% might be an understatement, perhaps 17% steep bits?
Kalkhoff can do it (17% short incline that defeats me most of the time on my pedal bike) but I still had to pedal and it was against the wind and it tired me. Wrong gear, I expect. It might be more than 17% when the road stops.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Tempting. I've got a bus pass (I wonder if I could take the this on buses?) Ltitle wheels are not very good on the bumpy paths and roads with potholes I've found out before.)

10% might be an understatement, perhaps 17% steep bits?
Kalkhoff can do it (17% short incline that defeats me most of the time on my pedal bike) but I still had to pedal and it was against the wind and it tired me. Wrong gear, I expect. It might be more than 17% when the road stops.
the zephyr CDN has font and rear suspension, is quite good on bumpy paths. I quite like it.

Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Me too.

My "best" commuting/touring ebike is my DIY converted German Alubike.

It was a secondhand full suspension with a step through very lightweight aluminum frame. It already had an Sram S7 seven speed hub gear which works really smoothly and with a wide range.

When I added a 250rpm Q100H front hub motor it has all the power I need and gives me a range of about 25 miles assisted with my 36v 10ah lithium iron battery pack.

The q100H is really small, looking like the previously fitted dynohub.

Thank goodness for forums like this and DIY ebike parts, some of the ready-made prices make my eyes water... :rolleyes:

The secondhand Alubike cost me £150, and the BMS ebike conversion parts cost another £150, plus £200 for the battery.

View attachment 12801
Looks good even down to the handlebar bag. Two years ago it would have been the biz and still worthwhile. I used to like dynohubs in the past (bike was stolen so other people did as well) but now on my pedal bike I use a Cree LED rechargable battery lamp and wondered if the lights running off the main battery are worth it. Probably are as I've been known to leave detachable battery lights at home.

Do crank drive electric assist require a heavier frame?