Hub kits - Proper jobs?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I thought that it would be useful to have a thread where good ideas of how to fit kit parts can be found in one place.

To start you off, here is the handy work of Simon @ FMB:

1. How to fit a split magnet ring on a triple chainring:

2. Here is his converted bike:

Thank you Simon for sending in your pictures.
Lovely job.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Good idea for a thread.
Could I just say that I fitted that type of rack a few years back and the weight of the battery and myself eventually cracked the frame at the top tube/ seat tube joint, this happened even though I'd fitted a longer than normal seat post.
Dave.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Could I just say that I fitted that type of rack a few years back and the weight of the battery and myself eventually cracked the frame at the top tube/ seat tube joint, this happened even though I'd fitted a longer than normal seat post.
Simon did bring the weight forward as much as possible and it may still be possible to add the rear legs.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Simon did bring the weight forward as much as possible and it may still be possible to add the rear legs.
It would be good to add the legs, or definitely get a different rack if that's not possible which would also bring the centre of gravity down a bit and improve handling.
Mine was further forward than Simon's and with rear suspension, which was the reason I used that sort of rack.
There's massive leverage backwards, particularly when dropping off a kerb or similar.
Apologies if I sound critical of a nice build but It may help Simon to avoid my misfortune.
Sorry to take the thread off track.
Dave.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Sorry to take the thread off track.
no, no, this is the place for constructive criticism. We all love a job well done so any thing that helps to achieve a better result must be worth adding.
Here is a solution sent to me by Stuart. He's got Shimano XT hydraulic brakes. There is just no flat surface anywhere near the lever to glue the hydraulic sensor head.
This is how he's mounted his hydraulic brake sensors:

and this is how he keeps the wiring tidy:

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
To start you off, here is the handy work of Simon @ FMB:

1. How to fit a split magnet ring on a triple chainring:
How did Simon insert the screws? In what did you insert the screws? Right now I just have the split ring attached to the chainring with its own magnets but I am always worried it might move.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How did Simon insert the screws?
drill and tap the holes.
Right now I just have the split ring attached to the chainring with its own magnets but I am always worried it might move.
there are 3 other methods you can use:

1. use araldite glue or two part epoxy glue to glue the disc to the ring

2. cabletie the disc to the spokes. Drill 3mm holes in the disc to feed the cableties through.

3. Use the horseshoe base that is supplied with the KM drilled disc. The horseshoe has already got slots for the cableties.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
So he drilled into the chainring? I thought he managed to use the same holes as the ones that keep the chainring attached to the other chainring.

I thought about using zip ties but I really want to make sure it is centered and zip ties might not keep it in the right place.

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing the photos. Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I thought he managed to use the same holes as the ones that keep the chainring attached to the other chainring.
you are right, the picture shows that the screws go into the holes of the chainring bolts.

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Well if he managed to do that, I would like to know how he did it. Having the ring attached in the location where the chainring bolts are located is the perfect place because it keeps it perfectly centered. But if the chainring bolts are there then he cannot put those screws there. Maybe he used chainring bolts with internal thread, if such exist? Do you think Simon can explain what he did because I would definitely do the same if I could.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Take the granny ring off. Tape the magnet ring in place and drill through holes (having aligned it to miss the magnets). Bolt it all back up, may need longer bolts.

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Chainring bolts are fairly large in diameter so drilling holes that big in the magnet would not be easy. In the photo the bolts/screws that are being used are small, they are not chainring bolts. That is why I am interested in how that was done. Maybe he replaced chainring bolts with a barrel nut and used much smaller diameter bolts to attach the magnet. If he did it like this (it would be nice to hear the explanation and see photos and part numbers) then it would make the chainring slightly loose, unless the barrel nut is the same width as the chainring bolt. I am never going to use the smallest charinring any more so having the strength of the chainring bolt is not required but the chainring should not be loose.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It looks pretty simple to me and all are making meal out of mountain, he has used self tapping screws or or tapped a M4/M5 thread in the centre of the chain ring bolts and used CS machine screws. Most have a blank hole already through them as can be seen with the other four in the pic.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'll ask him but just took a look at the chainring bolts, they can take M3 nylon nut on the pedal side.

Reactions: jarob10

pajtaz

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2019
Netherlands
Problem is that the nuts for the smallest chainring on my crankset are inserted into the crank. They are not removable and don't have a hole. Still there could be some options. I'll wait for photos and explanation.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I converted a full suspension bike today with a BBS01B kit.
The bike was a Btwin Rockrider 540.
It took a lot longer than expected but at least, it's possible to fit an HL downtube battery.
If anyone is interested in converting same bike, let me know.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
probably not.
Try with a piece of cardboard, 36cm x 10cm to see if it would go.

velvetredux

Just Joined
Jan 18, 2020
I've been trying a few cardboard cutouts for various batteries......none seem to fit. The distance between the spring and frame is only 9.5cm. Do you have any suggestions as to a solution, get a different bike perhaps?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the problem is the rear shock, if you can find a slenderer rear shock then the problem goes away.