Hub motor making noise when spinning after accident

jacks3

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 24, 2020
Hi, I had an accident today causing me to come off the bike, the bike is a Carrera Crossfire 2 fitted with a Dillenger Samsung Power 2.0 kit. At first glance, it looked like only the derailleur had bent a bit and I thought I had gotten off easy. However, when I got on the bike again, I noticed that the front hub motor was making a weird noise when spinning. When I shake the wheel, I can't hear any loose parts moving around in the hub. Any idea what the problem might be and my best course of action? I see that it's being held by 3 screws, should I try to unscrew them and take a peek inside?

I shot a video where you can hear the noise, you might need to turn up the volume a bit:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I couldn't hear very well even with volume maxed out, but what I could here sounded possibly like may be the rotor tingling against something or maybe a spoke issue.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
I heard it with volume right up , but I don't know about e bikes sorry
ive been looking to try learn and buy one for some months now
but haven't rushed into such as using normal bike ive used for the past
18 / 20 yrs or so and alls no problem being a non e-bike

e bikes shall be all good when alls fine , but seems to be far too many problms
with them from what ive read about on this very forum for my liking

Hopefully putting this back to top of forum that someone comes
onto aid you in this soon .

Reactions: jacks3

jacks3

Jun 24, 2020
I couldn't hear very well even with volume maxed out, but what I could here sounded possibly like may be the rotor tingling against something or maybe a spoke issue.
Yeah, you can't hear it very well in the video. It's audible in the beginning when I'm just turning the wheel slowly and then you can also hear it when I use the throttle starting 0:24. The spokes seem to be fine, none of them are loose, the wheel is bent a little though it might've been like that before.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I was trying to see if the wheel was out of true but not enough to see if it was, I think that is where the issue lies with the wheel and spoke tension.

jacks3

Jun 24, 2020
The wheel isn't perfectly straight but it doesn't seem to be crooked enough to cause any problems. I checked with the pencil and elastic band technique to the rim and it seems to be fairly straight and the disc brake rotor isn't scraping the brake pads either.