Hub speeds

SirBikesalot

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 18, 2022
Hi there people i have put a 500w kit on my bike that I got from eBay it all works fine, but my issue is the hub has 5 speeds, but the kit doesn't have anything to switch speed as right now the bike only goes full power that doesn't help when I try to pull off slow, and so I'm kinda using the brakes as a clutch I do have a s900 display i wanted to use, but isn't the same wires it has the same wires 5x but in a different order and 1 wire is a different colour and the throttle has a display but only shows how much power is in the battery like i dont even care if its a simple display aslong as i can use the 5x speed modes can only help what can i do please ?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
My advice would be to send it back. Even if it is legal to run this in your country of residence (certainly is not in the UK), with a top speed quoted as 58mph, this is a very dangerous kit to put on a bicycle. Anything that has a no load speed of 18mph in setting one is going to be brutal no matter what you do.
Further, when running at low speed it will be extremely inefficient producing lots of heat and eating the battery.
If you'd asked before buying you would have been steered away from this kit.

• Agree
Reactions: Az. and flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi there people i have put a 500w kit on my bike that I got from eBay it all works fine, but my issue is the hub has 5 speeds, but the kit doesn't have anything to switch speed as right now the bike only goes full power that doesn't help when I try to pull off slow, and so I'm kinda using the brakes as a clutch I do have a s900 display i wanted to use, but isn't the same wires it has the same wires 5x but in a different order and 1 wire is a different colour and the throttle has a display but only shows how much power is in the battery like i dont even care if its a simple display aslong as i can use the 5x speed modes can only help what can i do please ?

We keep telling people to get advice before buying stuff, but they always do it afterwards when it's too late.

To solve your problem you need a new controller, LCD, throttle and pedal sensor that costs around £80.

Your S900 is not compatible with your present controller, and it only works with controllers that give you more or less the same problem.

There is very little you can do to regulate the power with your present controller.

Your motor doesn't have 5 levels of power. The speed and power are determined by the controller. The speed can be anything from zero to the motor's max speed, and the power can be anything from zero to the controller's maximum current, depending on circumstances. If you want to regulate the power, you need a controller that can do it. Yours can't, though it can regulate the speed with the throttle.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hi and welcome, Is it possible to return the kit? if so it might not be a bad idea?

Im far from expert, just had my toes in the water a few months now.

But according to the ad linked to your 500w motor can provide upto 22Nm of torque..

Watts measures the power put in, Torque is the measure of the motors output..

iirc my 250w geared hub motor (also bought blind before joining here..) has 36-40Nm of torque where the tyre meets the rd.

So even if you invest a further £80-100 in a KT controller/display combo you will probably;y still be underwhelmed by the bikes performance once you start going up slopes.

Advertisers