Hurricane devastation

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
We in the UK rarely experience the kind of weather that creates the damage we have witnessed via TV as a result of Katrina and Irma recently around some of the Americas and the Caribbean.

Although I have read lots of material about the trail of damage through Florida from friends there, this simple plea in the form of a message on FB really meant something to me:

'I'm done being politically correct!!Let's keep helping and Praying for Puerto Rico and Our Beautiful People!!! We are US Citizens and have the right to every single help we need to get to restore the island. Yes, we send our young to the military...Yes we pay state taxes, which are higher than most state taxes in the mainland USA...But, most important WE are human beings...The devastation and suffering to the island is real...Instead of making everything political...let's unite our efforts, even if it's just by praying...'

Where are you Trump?

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D

Deleted member 4366

We had a tornado that ripped the roofs of buildings in Birmingham a few years ago. Don't you remember?

BTW, he/she asked you not to make it political. Why did you have to mention Trump?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Because he is a reality TV star? The day Trump does politics we will be in deep sh*t...

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
BTW, he/she asked you not to make it political. Why did you have to mention Trump?
You have no concept, it seems, about what has been going on in the USA since Obama left office.

The lady concerned has no interest in politics - she just wants help and the opportunity to get on with her life. Sadly, the people whose decisions affect every aspect of life for the ordinary folk in the USA are called politicians and everything in life is shaped by politics. We cannot escape it.

The financial element of assistance and the level of logistical support for places like Puerto Rico has been abysmal when compared to American government spending in other areas - like killing people in other lands.

Just the other day, Trump was speaking to the nation about a new tax regime and he said:

"I don’t benefit. I don’t benefit,"

Trump lied through his teeth and the NY Times did the arithmetic to prove he lied. Here is their piece on it:

trump-tax-benefit.html

Any objective commentator can see very quickly when looking through the White House-driven political initiatives under Trump that there is an extreme divisive agenda never previously seen under either form of administration in several generations.

Perhaps you are a fan of Donald Trump? I'm a fan of justice and humanitarianism.

Tom

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
There are longer lasting issues this time with the devastation. I can only speak of BVI, which was the centre for both Moorings and Sunsail charters. They employed hundreds of people and brought millions of pounds to the island. They had what they thought was a hurricane proof safe area, where yachts were taken. It was a fantastic operation to witness. 400 plus yachts moved away from harbour, to this " safe" inland anchorage. Very little information has actually come out yet, folk there obviously have bigger issues. But its becoming clear every single yacht has been destroyed..( Which is a first, in past damage has been limited to under 10% of fleet)
Is a future business going to be viable ?? Will insurance companies cover again ? Will employees wish to remain ? BVI wont go bankrupt without this revenue , but it was one of Islands largest employers.This is just a single example, might well be same in other " industries".

You cant really imagine what a hurricane is like until you have sat one out. We had misfortune to be in Jamaica around 10 years ago when a cat 3 struck. We were in a hurricane proof building...( if there is such a thing) One aspect we realised on this occasion, crocodiles get washed out to sea...they then return to beaches on their return to rivers..swamp land..We almost walked over one on the beach, 5 days after hurricane had passed.!!!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Advertisers