Hybrid tyre reccomendation

suggy

Pedelecer
Oct 21, 2019
Hi Can anyone recommend a descent tyre for cycle paths and trail riding my wheels are 700c.
At the moment I have 700c x 40 Kendra tyres I find them lacking in speed on tarmac. Thanks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Schwalbe City Jets are really fast, but you can expect a lot of punctures. If you don't want punctures, there's only one, marathon Plus. A 28mm wide one would probably be the best compromise between speed and grip.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
My first hybrid ebike, which I use for both road and trail, had 700x35 Kenda Kourier tyres, and I swore by them. Fast rolling centre tread, with nobbly bits to the side to add traction when on trails. Perfect. Until they started to wear out.

As the tread flattened with mileage, punctures became more frequent. Okay, a puncture is easily fixable by the roadside, but it really kills the pleasure of a leisurely cycle. The majority here swear my Marathon Plus as vfr400 attests. I was cynical I'd admit, but they're not expensive (I paid £23 each for 4). They are very hard wearing, although not the very best on trails due to the road-oriented tread pattern. But perfectly fine for both road and trail once you get the measure of them. And no punctures.

PS: There is a Marathon Plus "Tour" version too which is a little more knobbly for loose gravel and trails, but I couldn't find them for a reasonable price at the time.

DanD

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2019
I use the Marathon Plus (26x2.00) on my hybrid and find them extremely reliable and puncture-free on the road and pretty good on trails, although inferior to a dedicated offroad tyre on loose or slippery slopes. I'm now trying out a pair of Marathon Greenguards (same size) on a recent e-bike conversion and first impressions are that they feel as good as the Marathon Plus' on tarmac.

suggy

Pedelecer
Oct 21, 2019
Thanks for the reply's am I better going for a thinner tyre like a 28 or am I ok to go with the 38 because I could use the inner tubes I already have

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for the reply's am I better going for a thinner tyre like a 28 or am I ok to go with the 38 because I could use the inner tubes I already have
It depends how much you prioritise speed and weight. There won't be a big difference.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I find the Schwalbe G-one a decent road tyre with reasonable grip on general trail surfaces.

suggy

Pedelecer
Oct 21, 2019
Gone for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 38c from Halfords plus I get 10% off with my blue card.
I Already have self healing inner tubes so plus these tyres I should be good to go.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Schwalbe Energizer Plus 700 x 35 (or 38 if you want a comfier ride) - Good puncture protection, great grip, low rolling resistance. They do a a grippier version for light trails called the tour version, cheap at SJS Cycles at £15.99 ea

Related Articles

Advertisers