Hydraulic brake switches

helecats

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2013
Tyne and Wear
I needed some way of adding switches to the hydraulic disk brakes on my rockhopper 8Fun conversion to cut the motor. The kit was supplied with brake levers with a cable and built in switch for cable operated brakes, which plugs into the controller, no use for hydraulic brakes. I went onto Ebay and bought a pack of 3 mini micro switches for 99p + 70p p&p.

switches.jpg

I cut the cable from the supplied brake lever and soldered the wires to the microswitch normally closed contact (open when the switch is pressed). I then wedged the switch into the brake lever (see pics) so that the switch button was pressed. When the brake lever is operated the button is released. I had to file a small amount of plastic off the switch to make it fit. The switch is now a really tight fit, plugged the cable into the controller and it works fine. I think the switch would stay wedged in place on its own but I added a couple of drops of epoxy just to make sure it wouldn't move.

brake 3.jpg brake 1.jpg brake 2.jpg

The photos show the lever in the normal position and then pulled, releasing the button.

brake 4.jpg

I just needed to bend the soldered pins to refit the handebar grip and then tidy the cable. It looks neater in reality than it does in the close up pics and you don't even notice it's there.

I have no idea how reliable or durable these switches are or how many operations they can do but after testing and a ride yesterday they have had at least 30 ops and are still working, only time will tell. Not water proof but they could be coated with tape, silicon sealant or epoxy.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Great solution - ill be copying this as soon as I have the time

Brilliant - thank you

As ever I'm a big fan if Sugru for sticking/waterproofing/hacking solutions

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
As ever I'm a big fan if Sugru for sticking/waterproofing/hacking solutions
Heck, that stuff looks absolutely great - can think of so many applications for it hardly know where to start.

I bet it would grip and bond my repaired motor wire bundle to the stator with a bit of help whilst it set where a bunch of gel adhesives were too weak and fluid over the setting period to work properly.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I remember there is an hydraulic disc brake cut off somewhere... I can't found the thread back..

i need to get a brake cut off on my bike!

martindf3

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 21, 2015
I needed some way of adding switches to the hydraulic disk brakes on my rockhopper 8Fun conversion to cut the motor. The kit was supplied with brake levers with a cable and built in switch for cable operated brakes, which plugs into the controller, no use for hydraulic brakes. I went onto Ebay and bought a pack of 3 mini micro switches for 99p + 70p p&p.

View attachment 5237

I cut the cable from the supplied brake lever and soldered the wires to the microswitch normally closed contact (open when the switch is pressed). I then wedged the switch into the brake lever (see pics) so that the switch button was pressed. When the brake lever is operated the button is released. I had to file a small amount of plastic off the switch to make it fit. The switch is now a really tight fit, plugged the cable into the controller and it works fine. I think the switch would stay wedged in place on its own but I added a couple of drops of epoxy just to make sure it wouldn't move.

View attachment 5238 View attachment 5239 View attachment 5240

The photos show the lever in the normal position and then pulled, releasing the button.

View attachment 5241

I just needed to bend the soldered pins to refit the handebar grip and then tidy the cable. It looks neater in reality than it does in the close up pics and you don't even notice it's there.

I have no idea how reliable or durable these switches are or how many operations they can do but after testing and a ride yesterday they have had at least 30 ops and are still working, only time will tell. Not water proof but they could be coated with tape, silicon sealant or epoxy.
I know this was posted a long time ago but I've been given a rear avid juicy 7 disc brake lever and caliper . I had thought of operating the brake switch by a lever drilled on to brake lever and to magnet operated switches . but then stumbled across your post ,using ever so neat miniature switches . Brilliant neat solution, So soldered one in hot glued it in position and 4 spare switches all for I think £1.70. . My home converted bike 48v 1000w motor has a Hope front brake and a Avid rear . Thank you for pictures Regards Martin

Bodgeitnscarper

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2019
There is actually a micro switch inside the cable lever in a waterproof silicone sleeve type thing, I used one of these and Heath Robinson-ed it to my rear brake handlebar mount and fashioned a small flat lever to cable tie and tape to the brake lever that releases the micro switch when applied. It was originally a temp thing but works well and doesn't look too bad so it's stayed.
I can post a photo if anybody is interested.

Bodge

Just noticed this is a very old thread but the information is still relevant.