Hydraulic Brakes

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'm away for the weekend in Cornwall, and I brought my newly refurbished (manual) MTB with me. During the refurb I put on a pair of mech disk calipers (I know, know) largely because they were laying around, and almost new.

The boy and I had a nice ride in the forest yesterday, climbing about 75m over about 2 miles. We then descended on the road, and I used this opportunity to bed the brakes in a bit. By the time I got the bottom of the hill I had bedded them in, and worn them out in one go. Both front, and rear. I had to stop with my feet in the end. Perhaps not actually worn out beyond redemption, but requiring extensive adjustment to get the working again.

So that's it, I vow never to use mech disks again.

So, what's you guys recommend for budget (£50) hydraulics? Shimano m355, Clark's M2, something else?

Any help/opinion appreciated.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use Shimano the basic/intro ranges of 355. 396,445/446, 525 and others in concept use the same twin port actuated calliper and B01S pads the only real difference is the brake lever, once set up need no bleeding and have very good bite and stopping power in the dry with slightly less capability in the wet but still good. B01S pads have longevity and 1500-2000 miles is pretty good. Spare and parts are pretty much available from vendors or Fleabay and are interchangeable with the systems that use the same calliper set up. For their value and stopping power 8 or 9 /10, pads about £6 - £9 to replace.
In the past I have picked up new F & R sets off Fleabay cheaper then 2nd hand ones.
Just my penneth worth.

Reactions: Alan Quay

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Given a choice I'd always rather have hydraulic disk brakes, but there is nothing wrong with mechanical disks brakes. It just depends what you buy.

I've got these mechanical disk brakes on my road bike

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/trp-spyre-mechanical-disc-brake-caliper/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360657442&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360657442uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sICi5bj5u_dt|pcrid|67090789142|pkw||pmt||prd|5360657442uk

They are very good and I've done about 1500 miles without any need to adjust them. When necessary, adjustment looks to be very easy.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I have on saterday fitted shimano 355 hydraulic kit (front only) on my vita uno /kudos 26" mtb I have left the rear mechanical disk as the moter cut out is on rear disk brake cable.
kit front/rear was £37 slightly dearer if uk seller, easy to fit .
however what I completely forgot about was my brake gear lever unit is all in one, had to purchase a sram 7 speed shifter r hand £9
swopped it all over, gears did not change properly.

local friendly bike hub adjusted and sorted gears realigned caliper£5

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Was going to say can Clarks be beaten on a budget.But shimano cheaper on eBay.My ckarks EXO skeletal's are the first disc brakes I have had.Going well 1400 mile,still a little life left in the front. Got some sintered pads to try next.The main reason I bought clarks is that I have wide handlebars and the clarks come with long hoses.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Given a choice I'd always rather have hydraulic disk brakes, but there is nothing wrong with mechanical disks brakes. It just depends what you buy.

I've got these mechanical disk brakes on my road bike

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/trp-spyre-mechanical-disc-brake-caliper/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360657442&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360657442uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sICi5bj5u_dt|pcrid|67090789142|pkw||pmt||prd|5360657442uk

They are very good and I've done about 1500 miles without any need to adjust them. When necessary, adjustment looks to be very easy.
I've probably been unlucky with mech disks. First pair worked OK (QMD quad) but went in the bin as pads were £20/set (£40 in total!) and hard to find. Next were some Shimano ones, pads didn't last long, then found it difficult to find spares. Then I have some Avid (poss bb7's) one of my electrics. To be fair, these have been good so far, but they probably cost more than cheap hydraulics.

Being a FUB l'm hard on brakes, and auto adjustment sounds like I can spend a bit more time riding the bike and less fiddling with it.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
A friend has those on a new Giant gravel bike, they're okay when her six stone son rides it, but aren't very good for a heavier rider. I have some Shimano pads to try now. Hoping that will help. Disappointing given the good reviews they get normally.

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
Shimano Deore A-M615
are the hydraulic discs on my Cube.

They have absolutely amazing stopping power fitted with 'two pairs for £6' pads off ebay. I guess I'm replacing pads every 400 or so seriously hilly miles....which doesn't bother me at £3 a pop.

By the way welcome to sunny Cornwall Alan. Our rain gauge informs me we have had just over 32cms this January!! Wettest month in ten years and not one completely dry day all month :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Shimano hydraulics every time.

They even come pre-bled, so assuming the hose is the right length, which it usually is, fitting is very easy.

Clark's can be cheaper, but they are cheap for several reasons.

One of those reasons is they use metal pistons, which corrode leading to sticking and failure sooner rather than later.

Shimano use resin pistons, which don't corrode, leading to a long trouble and maintenance free service life.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
As Rob says, Shimano all the way. My main reason is that these use mineral oil rather than DOT4 which can corrode some components when water is absorbed.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have used Clarks Exo skeletal brakes on a couple of my builds and they are spot on and dirt cheap.
They only require 11mm between disc and hub motor and were the only ones that would fit my Dillenger 1000 watt front hub.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I am going to change the mechanical disc on my Wisper to hydraulic, which would swap straight onto the Wisper fork leg mounting, or are they universal.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thanks for all the advice peeps. I ordered a pair of Shimano M355's from Chain Reaction. £40 delivered.

I ended up buying a front and rear separately, as that way they come with long hoses and spare olive/insert to shorten them. My 21" framed 26'er needs at least 1400mm hose on the rear. Many of the kits come with 1300mm.

I'll install them in the next couple of days and report back.....

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
Thanks for all the advice peeps. I ordered a pair of Shimano M355's from Chain Reaction. £40 delivered.

I ended up buying a front and rear separately, as that way they come with long hoses and spare olive/insert to shorten them. My 21" framed 26'er needs at least 1400mm hose on the rear. Many of the kits come with 1300mm.

I'll install them in the next couple of days and report back.....
You wont regret it ,
All shimano hydraulics in my opinion and experience are fit and forget

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I am going to change the mechanical disc on my Wisper to hydraulic, which would swap straight onto the Wisper fork leg mounting, or are they universal.
Mounts for disc brakes are universal, so any hydraulic calliper will bolt on.

Unless the Wisper has a very odd fork/calliper combination, but that is unlikely.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there not if you want bigger rotors then you will need adaptors for the callipers.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
there not if you want bigger rotors then you will need adaptors for the callipers.
Fair point about bigger rotors, but most upgraders only want to change the calliper from mechanical to hydraulic.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My front hydraulic disc rotor is 26"... :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
225mm is the largest rotors you can get but dont think they make the callipers for them any-more as there 6 pot.