Help! I am 17stone 6ft 4inch

Arny 70

Just Joined
Nov 30, 2021
I have seen a specialized Turbo Vado 3.0 which i am thinking of buying it looks like it will do me
its got a 460wh battery is that big enough for me

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
depends how far you want to go ?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
...... and how much of your own effort you want to put into your cycling to say nothing of the type of terrain you want to be cycling on.

So your question is a simple one but the answer to it is far from straight forward.

I ride my bike mainly on assist level 1 (the lowest assist level) and get 50 miles plus from my 375wh battery, but other riders with less input and more assist might only get 15 miles from a battery that small.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you look at https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ it will give a very good idea of the impact of the various differences mentioned above. You need a little interpretation on motor type, though mostly the difference between reasonable (eg not direct drive) motors is not that great compared to the other factors. You also need to factor up/down the battery capacity, that is very nearly directly linear, twice the capacity = twice the range.

Making those allowances the range assistant should give you a good idea of absolute expected range, but maybe more useful it gives a very good idea of how important the different factors are. Even without going to extreme settings you will find you can easily set up details to give 100 miles or 30 miles estimated range.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I am sadly over 17 and a half stone at the moment and rode my bike yesterday for a leisure ride that turned out to be 28 miles when I got home.

I have a crank drive Yamaha Haibike of 2015 vintage with an original 400Wh battery. The bike has now completed 14,470 miles.

It was a very mixed ride, with a starter of about 6 miles of canal tow path, a mile of road, then the main course of off road single track routes around the North Downs that included one extreme steep and very direct technical climb of the North Downs escarpment and two other very steep and technical climbs as well as another difficult and very technical, though much shorter climb.

Also some great descents! Then another 6 mile country lane ride home with one very steep hill to get over.

I had 41% of my 400 Wh battery that is over six and a half years old left when I got home, so the total range of that over 6 and a half year old battery if I had kept using it the same way should have been 47.45 miles.

If I stopped at the end of the last paragraph that would be very misleading and the difficulty with any discussion about range.

I am at least in cardio vascular and leg strength terms fitter than the over weight 60 year old man I appear to be (Thank you regular cycling). I turn the assist off on gradients that allow. So the whole first section from home to the end of the canal tow path section used under 5% of my battery.

I use the eco assist level of the three I have, even on steep hills and only the middle assist level when I really need it. I needed it for The North Downs steep technical sections.

If I had put my bike in middle assist from the start of my ride yesterday I would have drained the battery completely in probably around 15 miles.

The truth is out there, but in relation to the range of ebikes somewhat elusive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two