Help! I don't know what e-bike to buy?!

Supersaff

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 11, 2019
Hey!
I've recently bought a new house and it's a twenty minute drive to work (10 miles). My partner drives and I don't and so have decided on getting an electric bike to commute to work on.
It's about 80 percent country roads, so windy roads and hills and what not as you'd normally see in British country roads.
To make it even more difficult, I'm looking for a foldable one too so when my partner does certain shifts they can drive me either to or from work and I can put the bike in the boot folded (it's a Smart car).
Could someone please help or point me in the right direction? I've seen loads of different types but I just don't honestly know what would be best for my situation. I can charge the bike battery whilst I'm at work so as long as it'll take me 10 miles one way it's all good for the other way.
Thanks in advance :)
Saffron

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hey!
I've recently bought a new house and it's a twenty minute drive to work (10 miles). My partner drives and I don't and so have decided on getting an electric bike to commute to work on.
It's about 80 percent country roads, so windy roads and hills and what not as you'd normally see in British country roads.
To make it even more difficult, I'm looking for a foldable one too so when my partner does certain shifts they can drive me either to or from work and I can put the bike in the boot folded (it's a Smart car).
Could someone please help or point me in the right direction? I've seen loads of different types but I just don't honestly know what would be best for my situation. I can charge the bike battery whilst I'm at work so as long as it'll take me 10 miles one way it's all good for the other way.
Thanks in advance :)
Saffron
Hi Saffron

It would be very helpful to an idea of your fitness and weight as these play a large part in any reccomends

Also where you live as a purchase from a local, reputable supplier with solid warranty and support is invaluable. Also test rides are really useful too

Oh and budget too! For that amount of commuting I'd suggest you need to buy quality at the outset. Dirt cheap folders are plentiful on ebay and equally so dead in garages!

Supersaff

Nov 11, 2019
Thanks for your response!
I'm 23, female, 5 foot 6 inches tall, and I weigh around 70kg.
I also live in the Northamptonshire area.
Thanks again :)

Supersaff

Nov 11, 2019
Folded folding bikes still take up quite a lot of space. Are you sure that you have enough space on your Smart car?
Oh yeah for sure! We travel abroad a lot and a large suitcase and a medium both fit in the boot. They're surprisingly roomy in the back :D

Supersaff

Nov 11, 2019
Just about any electric bike would work for you. Bikes with big wheels are better for 20 miles a day.
Phew! That's good to know. I'm really struggling on what to choose I've been looking and umming and ahhhing for about a week now :eek:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just about any electric bike would work for you.
hang on, she intends to do 20 miles a day, that's pretty high mileage, 4k-5k miles a year.
Most supermarket folders disintegrate after a couple of thousand miles.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You don't need a large capacity battery, but some folders come with very small ones. For 20 miles with hills I'd suggest at least 300wh, preferably more (8.3 ah on a typical 36v system). You don't want it running out on you on the way home at the end of a tiring day.

Supersaff

Nov 11, 2019
The last two folks who asked me about folders were 18 stone ish. So no issues here!

Just need a budget pls
Haha well good for me then! Ummm it's having to go on the credit card as I've literally just bought a house. But budget is anything upto £1000 at a push. I've been checking out finance options or interest free to make payments a bit easier over time.

Supersaff

Nov 11, 2019
You don't need a large capacity battery, but some folders come with very small ones. For 20 miles with hills I'd suggest at least 300wh, preferably more (8.3 ah on a typical 36v system). You don't want it running out on you on the way home at the end of a tiring day.
Exactly my worry! My job is very physical as it is (I work in a hospital) so the last thing I want is it dying on me on my cycle home down a country road.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you work for the NHS, you should enquire about their cycle to work scheme.
You don't have to pay anything upfront.
Your budget is enough for something like this:
it comes with 12AH battery, enough for 35-40 miles.

Reactions: Gaz

Supersaff

Nov 11, 2019
Oh damn that's a very good point! Yeah I've worked for the NHS for 3 years so I will definitely look into that. I'm pretty sure it was mentioned during initial training when getting the job. Thank you :)
What bike is that in the photo? Looks sweet!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Many bikes quote 'up to' figures for range. These assume low power assist on a flat road, no wind, etc etc, Real life figures are often around 1/3 of that, or even less.

The Bosch range assistant gives a good idea of range even for non-Bosch bikes with a little interpretation of their settings. https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/ Even if you can't make absolute sense of it for a particular bike, entering different conditions and different power settings will give you a good feeling for how much variation there is.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Haha well good for me then! Ummm it's having to go on the credit card as I've literally just bought a house. But budget is anything upto £1000 at a push. I've been checking out finance options or interest free to make payments a bit easier over time.
OK. Thanks

Give me a tick and I'll get back to you

BTW iam a year round commuter of over a decade. Only deep snow stops me! If you are serious about mostly commuting 10 miles each way in winter then good warm/waterproof gear is a must. And your route suggests good lights are needed for both seeing and being seen. Planet x, decathlon and ebay/akiexpress are your friends here but I'd expect to pay the following essentials too (and this is my best price /performance view through hard experience, you could spend MUCH more but you don't too)

40 For a planet x lumen8 jacket
25 for decathlon waterproof over trousers
15 on gloves (crab or full finger winter at planet x)
25 for a helmet (either planet x or decathlon)
50 minimum on lights (eBay or planet x)
Another few quid on a neck /face buff to keep ears and face toasty

Reactions: Supersaff

Supersaff

Nov 11, 2019
Thanks a lot I appreciate the help! I'm definitely serious about it and willing to cycle through all terrain and weather that is physically possible. I'll check out those items you've suggested as I have been wondering the best place to locate such things, so thanks again!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
40 For a planet x lumen8 jacket
25 for decathlon waterproof over trousers
15 on gloves (crab or full finger winter at planet x)
25 for a helmet (either planet x or decathlon)
50 minimum on lights (eBay or planet x)
Another few quid on a neck /face buff to keep ears and face toasty
I'm not a commuter any more but used to be. All very good points. A couple more:

* Another few quid on a neck /face buff to keep ears and face toasty Ears especially. And I found a helmet somehow concentrates cold draft on the sensitive bit just above the ears. A silk scarf protects really well, not too bulky and doesn't make you too hot/scritchy.

* Wellington boots. Not smart, but surprisingly comfy to pedal in (even with half toe clips), warm with the right lining or socks, and you never get water from your over trousers dumped into your shoes.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm not a commuter any more but used to be. All very good points. A couple more:

* Another few quid on a neck /face buff to keep ears and face toasty Ears especially. And I found a helmet somehow concentrates cold draft on the sensitive bit just above the ears. A silk scarf protects really well, not too bulky and doesn't make you too hot/scritchy.

* Wellington boots. Not smart, but surprisingly comfy to pedal in (even with half toe clips), warm with the right lining or socks, and you never get water from your over trousers dumped into your shoes.
Ahh shoes. Well that's one area I like to either have a quality item or be wet and change at work.

I use 510 MTB boots. They are not cheap though

Best cheap buffs come at tk maxx

eBike Battery Team

Official Trade Member
Nov 27, 2015
London
ebikebatteries.co.uk
Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know...we're moving into the eBike market ourselves now :D Our first product will be the impressive electric mountain bike from Frey (2019 AM1000). It will be assembled onsite by our good selves and will come equipped with an additional gear sensor plus the impressive Bafang M620 motor.

We are going to be able to retail these bikes at a very competitive price. No ADD or drop shipping issues to worry about when you're dealing with us!

Will keep you all posted as this develops. Thanks as always for your support!