I don't think much to the coating on the Bosch motors

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
They don't make things to last these days, perhaps I should throw the bike away and buy a new one. Also time to delve inside again.

bosch coating 002.jpg

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I hope you sent that photo to your bike manufacturer. I would send just the photo with no comment at all attached. They will probably start thinking Uh-oh this guys has his lawyer waiting in the wings best send him a new motor before he posts the photo on a popular forum :p

Anyone have a photo of a Yamaha motor in a similar state?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The bike frame is like new in comparison. I've stripped it this afternoon and put a new drive-side bearing in and given the freewheel a clean and grease, back in the bike and running again, feels factory fresh now, ready for another 5,000 miles or so.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Yes it's on its second bearing now (actually it's the 3rd bearing, forgot to count the original), I could feel some play and the motor had become much noisier, however when I opened it up the bearing was no where near as bad as the original. In reality it is a quick and easy job to change it, so I'm glad I did it.
It does feel smoother now, and it is much quieter too. it has just over 8,000 miles on it now.

The next job is to put a new rear wheel rim on.

Off topic shot from last week
untitled-0284 by Gary McCaffery, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Loving how quiet the motor is now.

We had a win on Saturday :) fast dry conditions suited Grace.
14441120_1053446464774084_3480858537882116463_n.jpg

Will you're supposed to sit on the bike
Heanor.jpg

Reactions: EddiePJ

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
You'll always suffer that with aluminium casings, stone chips etc expose the aluminium and the water creeps under the paint and starts oxidising it.

We see it all the time with motorcycle's (especially scooter belt covers).

Normal where the aluminium is unfinished from the factory it goes slightly dull but doesn't corrode at all, probably because it dries out a lot quicker.

Kids look like they're having fun!.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu
D

Deleted member 4366

That's right. We used to strip the paint or lacquer off our motorbike engines and then polish them. They lasted ages like that. Aluminium protects itself with a thin oxide layer, but when water gets into a crevice or under the paint, the oxygen can't get in to oxidise it, so you get fierce corrosion, which lifts the paint and continues onwards. Aluminium has to be 100% sealed or 0% sealed to stay good.

• Informative
Reactions: Artstu

Advertisers